Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The Ice Shell

Pages: 1 11 replies

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 9:38 AM

When I first arrived at the Mai-Kai in 2003, I was served a Shark Bite in an ice shell. I asked Kern how to make one. This weekend, I finally did!

All the details are here.

L

Swanky I saw this on your blog. Super cool looking!

M

Gorgeous.

S

I made 3 and this was the best. And I realized I can re-use them. But I have way too much freezer space filled with ice shells now! I know how to do it now, so, I can do more if the urge hits.

Looks good Swanky! I've always wanted to try to make one of those. I get what you're saying with the freezer space thing...I was into the Navy Grog ice cones for a while there. I think I'll take a stab at this soon.

that would be great for a blue hawaiian....it will look like a small tidal wave in your glass..be sure to use cream in your recipe to get that nice aqua blue/green color.....garnish with one of those plastic cake-topper surfer figures and you are ready to hang 10....in fact, that could be the new name for the drink..the "hang 10"...features a blue hawaian recipe, ice shell and surfer figurine.....call the beach bum, i got one for the book !!

I love that! And the idea of a blue drink to make it look like a wave. How wonderful! I've got to buy a little surf board and person and try to make the shell.

S

Good thinkin Tipsy. I just made the drink I first was served here. I did strain it obvously. A blue drink would be next, if I stocked blue curacao... I have those little pink mermaid glass hangers. Might make a nice addition. I serve it with a swizzle stick as a tiny straw.

B

Oooh ! That looks yummy ! Nice one! I just got schooled earlier this week on the different types of ice and when and where it matters. I need a bigger bar.

S

So I got some blue Curacao.

I had not made these drinks in years. I knew one was not blue. Blue Hawaii: Yellow and Blue make Green.

The Blue Hawaii was the one that turned green...

But the Blue Reef was indeed blue.

No surfer, but I had a little mermaid...

Your key to Beachbum Berry's books. Login and start concocting!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2010-02-10 20:21 ]

I love how your crushed ice looks forming the cave. I made a Shark's Tooth (you gave me the idea with the Bite) in my first ice shell. I used more of a shaved ice, but it seemed to work alright. Sorry for the crappy shots, I had to take them with my phone. Thanks for the instructions :)

S

On 2010-02-10 20:01, kahalakruzer wrote:
I love how your crushed ice looks forming the cave. I made a Shark's Tooth (you gave me the idea with the Bite) in my first ice shell. I used more of a shaved ice, but it seemed to work alright. Sorry for the crappy shots, I had to take them with my phone. Thanks for the instructions :)

Looks yummy. Shark Tooth is the Shark Bite.

[ Edited by: Swanky 2010-02-10 20:22 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies