Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Black Orchid Sessions - Now on MONDAYS with all night Happy Hour at Forbidden Island!

Pages: 1 15 replies

S

On February 10, 2010, Forbidden Island Tiki Lounge rolls out a unique cocktail experience... custom made cocktails, created on the spot based on customer requests. On the heels of her wildly successful Wednesday night cocktail series the Black Orchid Club, mixologist Suzanne Long is taking cocktail creation to an even higher level by inventing cocktails on the spot, using premium ingredients and the suggestions of the imbiber. Each week, a focus ingredient will be announced. Focus ingredients will include Suzanne Long's custom made cocktail syrups and liqueurs, and some specialty spirits. The focus ingredient will be used to create each guest's custom cocktail, and a special weekly specials menu will also be available.

"In my experience, creating an excellent custom cocktail is similar to a Jazz recording session," says Long. "Creating custom cocktails for my guests on the spot is something that I already do. I'm just opening the doors to the public so everyone can participate. With my custom made syrups, the premium spirits and fresh juices we have here at Forbidden Island, and your input about what you feel like tasting tonight, we can together create the perfect, exceptionally crafted cocktail - right here in front of you!"

Black Orchid Sessions will take place on Wednesday evenings at Forbidden Island Tiki Lounge, the very hip 1960s style tiki lounge in the heart of Alameda. More details about the Black Orchid Club and Black Orchid Sessions can be found on Suzanne Long's blog, Shakin' Rum and Pineapples - http://rumnpineapple.blogspot.com and at http://twitter.com/BlackOrchidClub.

WHERE: Forbidden Island Tiki Lounge, 1304 Lincoln, Alameda.
http://forbiddenislandalameda.com
http://twitter.com/BlackOrchidClub

The Black Orchid Club... the Secret of the Orchid compels you!

[ Edited by: suzanne 2010-02-17 12:52 ]

[ Edited by: suzanne 2010-06-14 12:52 ]

S

Tonight's special ingredient: An organic Apple Cider, Maple Syrup and Cinnamon reduction called "Bitch Syrup," so named for the signature cocktail it was created for, the Black-Hearted Bitch. Tonight's special menu is as follows:

Black-Hearted Bitch

Goslings Black Seal and Lemon Hart Demerara give this grog style cocktail its name. With the addition of the specialty ingredient, notes of apple and maple, with hand squeezed grapefruit and a dash of Maraschino Liqueur, this cocktail may make you forget her... or she may haunt you forever!

Bitch’s Revenge

The taste of revenge is sweet... and it has hints of bourbon, orange, lemon, apple, cinnamon and spices. Served up with a flamed orange peel.

Bitch’s Redemption

An effervescent delight with gin and a lemon that makes maple and apple seem angelic. A good cocktail can mean redemption for us all... or not! But you'll have to taste it to find out!

Of course, you can also sit down with me for that custom made cocktail…. right on the spot, using the specialty ingredient and anything else you can dream up (that we’ve got behind the bar).

I’ll see YOU, tonight, at the Island!

--Suzanne

Tonight is Week II of Black Orchid Sessions... Rose Syrup is the focus ingredient. Here are two possibilities with the Rose Syrup:

Initiate's Offering - The most earnest of initiates offers up her soul... and it is full of rum and roses. Muddled mint, rose syrup, lime, Rhum Barboncourt and champagne make a delightful cocktail.

Food of the Angels - Rose and Cardamom infused vodka in a luxurious blend of rich cream, rice milk, condensed milk and coconut. Heavenly.... See More

Of course, the best part is sitting down and working with Suzanne directly to custom create a cocktail just for you...

S

Aloha kids!

I'm putting the finishing touches on this week's Black Orchid Sessions cocktails. One thing is for sure, they are GORGEOUS! The focus ingredient for tomorrow is Prickly Pear pureee with organic Lemongrass and Citrus. The psychedelic vibrant hue of these cocktails is to die for, and the taste is out of this world... far out, man! You're gonna love 'em.

Specialty Cocktails for February 24, 2010:

Barbara Eden

Hot Pink, curvy, and full of pep, this delightful and exciting mix of rums with prickly pear puree, falernum, citrus and lemongrass truly is from another world... a world shaped an awful lot like a genie's bottle. Cheers, Master!

Aztec Stargazer

Prickly pear and agave tequila go together like stars and the moonlit sky... add the kiss of coconut and pineapple and transform them into a taste sensation that is truly out of this world!

In addition to these delights, I can't wait to custom create cocktails with this exciting focus ingredient. Ooooh, I'm thristy already!

Also, tomorrow Otto celebrates his completion of the Kill Devil Rum list, and JenTiki completes the Kill Devil List for the SECOND time!

-- Suzanne

(Edited to fix an open tag)

[ Edited by: suzanne 2010-02-23 16:55 ]

S

P.S. Thanks for reading... and really, come and check it out for Otto and Jentiki. Some good times are in store for tomorrow! I'm excited :)

Suzanne

Yum, tequila! maybe that Barbara Eden look-a-like who hangs out
at Mermen shows will come and try her signature drink

S

Tonight at Forbidden Island... Sessions, Week IV!

This week's special ingredient: an bitter chocolate and orange syrup called "Exotica" syrup.

The cocktails:

Exotica

The tropical beach at sunset. The sound of distant drums and the call of the conch. Bird calls, exotic vibraphone, Latin percussion, strong cocktails. Perfect Mid-century escapism was encapsulated in sound by the father of this amazing musical genre, Martin Denny. This cocktail is in honor of him. (Bitter Chocolate with orange, a taste of strong coffee, several rums and citrus juices).

Strawberry-a-Go-Go

Dress your strawberries up in chocolate, and go, go-go girl! Fresh strawberries, chocolate and bitter orange muddled to pure perfection, then topped with champagne.

Join the growing ranks of Sessions Bookholders, with all of their custom designed recipes in a tiny composition book, sitting here on our shelves at Forbidden Island. At the end of Sessions, each Bookholder takes all of those recipes home to keep. Learn the art of excellent mixology! Become the one everyone invites to parties because you'll be behind the bar! Just a few Sessions and you'll have the tools to have a great time at home and at parties, plus a book full of unique and innovative recipes to share. I want you to have a good time with me at Forbidden Island, and at home in your home bar, creating new specialties.

Come and try the fabulous Exotica syrup! Also, it's the first Wednesday of the month, so it's time for Otto's Grotto... exotica tunes, surf, 60s grooves, and more. Special guest DJ Jab also makes an appearance. Don't miss it!

I'll see YOU, TONIGHT, at the Island!

--Suzanne

http://rumnpineapple.blogspot.com/2010/03/sessions-iv-exotica-syrup.html

RR

I'll have one of each.............

S

Tonight, come and try my Black Orchid Orgeat... my own from scratch secret recipe! -- Suzanne

Black Orchid Mai Tai

Trader Vic Bergeron created the Mai Tai in 1944 right here in the Bay Area. The Black Orchid version of this classic cocktail, with two rums, and fresh lime is indeed "Mai Tai Roe Ae" Tahitian for "Out of This World!"

S.S. Lurline Cocktail

Board the S.S. Lurline in San Francisco Bay and begin your trip to the Islands! This cocktail with Black Orchid Orgeat, Lemon, Grand Mariner and bourbon is poolside perfection. Aloha!

http://rumnpineapple.blogspot.com/

S

A little Irish for your cocktail glass, today at FI:

Spring has sprung here in Sunny California! The sun is shining, and green cocktails are flowing… this is what I have dreamed up for your imbibing pleasure tonight in Sessions.

Special Ingredient: Spearmint-Lime Syrup. Fresh lime juice and mint together in this refreshing syrup – it’s not just for Mojitos anymore!

This week’s special cocktails:

Irish Eyes Are Sparkling

Fresh mint and lime muddled in our delightful spearmint-lime syrup. Add Jamesons Irish Whiskey, the sparkle of champagne, and the luck o’ the Irish for a festive treat, as green as the Emerald Isle herself.

The Orange and the Green

A Collins like you’ve never tasted before. Hangar One Mandarin Vodka, fresh mint, lime and Grand Mariner are a marriage that brings harmony to the cosmos… and to Ireland.

I’ll see YOU at the Island!

--Suzanne

http://doiop.com/alittleirish

S

Sessions today is up for a fun new spin. Today I'm bringing back many of the syrups we've seen in the last few weeks, and in your Sessions, you can choose which syrup you'd like to use... or several, if you want! These are the specialty ingredients I have available today:

Exotica: A bitter chocolate orange delicacy.

Maple-Apple-Cinnamon Reduction (Bitch Syrup): in the one and only Black-Hearted Bitch.

Rose Syrup: Floral, delightful, springtime in a glass!

Black Orchid Orgeat: My special recipe orgeat with almond milk, almond extract, and pure cane sugar.

and, the amazing Black Orchid Syrup, a french black tea, vanilla and sour cherry reduction.

Choose any (or several!) for your sessions tonight... come and taste them all! Custom create several totally different cocktails! And we're reprising that fantastic grog, the Black-Hearted Bitch!

Only with Black Orchid Sessions, and only at Forbidden Island!

I'll see YOU at the Island!

--Suzanne

http://doiop.com/whichdoyoulove

S

Sessions - now on Mondays!

Specialty syrup tonight is made from fresh rhubarb. Come and enjoy a fantastic Pineapple Rhubarb Mojito, and see what glorious on the spot creations can be made just for you!

Also, just as every Monday, it's Happy Hour all night long, so be sure to try a Navy Grog!

5pm.

I'll see YOU at the Island!

Suzanne

S

Besides... I want to hear all the Hukilau stories. And see your photos. So come and see me. :)

Suzanne

[ Edited by: suzanne 2010-06-14 12:54 ]

CL

I highly recommend that you go to sessions this week or next as Suzanne may have a surprise or two up her sleeve. :)

all the cool bars have monday TC nites.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Love surprises from sleeves.

Pages: 1 15 replies