Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kahiki, Thoughts Of a Brighter Future

Pages: 1 24 replies

I am sure there are many differing opinions of what should be the future of the amazing pieces that were salvaged from the Kahiki. To me, the beauty of the restaurant itself was that everyone could enjoy the incredible design and craftsmanship that went into the pieces. Imagine walking into one of the Polynesian Hotels at Disneyworld and at the end of this amazing lobby where there are places to sit and have drinks, there towers over the area this amazing Fireplace. That is the sort of environment that it should be saved for. I could sit for hours drinking Mai Tai's and basking in it's glow. Share your thoughts with me. It would be great to bring it back to it's 1960 Grandeur!

[ Edited by: atomictikidean 2010-02-19 11:45 ]

Wake up and have breakfast! :x

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

That would be great Dean!
It was nice talking with you on the phone.
Hope to meet you at Hukilau.

I aways kinda thought that the big Moai I have should
be in a more public place than my backyard.
But hey they were going to trash it!

I sure would miss it if I got rid of it though.
But still, these items going to the masses would be for a greater
good.

Good first thread.
Lets see what Tiki Central thinks.

C

Why don't you tell us who you are & why you want to know this, since John seems to know you.

T

I think this came about because as we all know the
fireplace / Moai may be for sale.
Most of us know who owns this and they are unable to fix it at this time.
The question is who can come up with the funds to fix it?

I would rather see this go ANYWHERE and be fixed than sit rotting.

Although I am new to this chat forum, I am a longtime fan of Tiki and googie architecture, especially after spending a great deal of time in Southern California, and trips to Hawaii for the show LOST. I work in the entertainment industry in Hollywood, and am working on an independent development project for a film about the Tiki Culture. I was finding information that was available to re-create certain items from Kahiki for a possible future film set. In the process I learned of the demise of the amazing fireplace. It just makes me a little melancholy to see it rotting away in a driveway. I hope that helps your question.

The first issue I see is the size of the place needed to display the Kahiki Relics properly. Some of that stuff is HUGE!

A place big enough means expensive.

Beyond that, the only other issue would be 'where' to do it. Staying in the Columbus area would be appropriate, but if done right it could be anywhere (you did use the Disney thing just for example right?).

T

I think Queen Kamehameha should get it and have it somewhere in her Palm Desert Tiki paradise.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=20143&forum=18&start=0

Yes, I used the Disney idea as strictly an example. It would be great to see it in a place where lots of people could enjoy it, whether that is at a resort, a specialty store, Sea World, a Polynesian garden, etc. Just someplace that will be around for a long time, and it can be enjoyed by many people.

On 2010-02-20 07:41, tikiyaki wrote:
I think Queen Kamehameha should get it and have it somewhere in her Palm Desert Tiki paradise.

That doesn't solve the problem of access.....

Getting the Kahiki relics into a place where they could be enjoyed by EVERYONE should be the goal of a project like this.

At least I think that should be the goal. Having them in someone's house/yard/garage/oversized-basement works wonderfully well for that person, but for the rest of us that would like to do a Haj style pilgrimage are kind of left out of that equation.

Ultimately the best choice to ensure everyone has the opportunity to enjoy it would be a public forum, but that might not happen without getting a strong movement and support to get it placed somewhere appropriate. Placing it in a private setting restored is better then letting it deteriorate in a driveway, but not my idea of the best choice.

T

"Placing it in a private setting restored is better then letting it deteriorate in a driveway."

This is very true, I must agree.
I know when these left town people were angry that they left Ohio.
Myself I thought it was cool because..
A, They were saved.
B, When kahiki items leave the state it spreads the Kahiki world wide.
C, I don't think at that time anybody here had the money or drive to do anything
with them.

Oh, after the fact there are always people who say we couldaa this, or we woulda that.
I would not have the one I have if it were not for my wife.
When they asked if I wanted that I said heck no.
My wife said we must get it, weird I know.
Well the time is now, WHO is going to save these?
I say that in five years from now they still sit where they are now.(hope I am wrong)
And yes Amys would be a great place for these!
She is a double A personality and gets things done.
No coulda, shoulda, woulda, with her.

Unless there is collective money and resources that can be brought together to place the items somewhere more public, I imagine it will end up at the home of someone who can truly afford to restore and manage it at their home. Maybe someone should start a fund raising project to assemble the assets and resources needed.

How bad of shape is the fireplace in at the moment? I think maybe the focus should be on getting the fireplace stable so it will not deteriorate into a pile of junk. This may be the cheapest and safest way to go for the time being. If it's laying on the ground it should have some cribbing under it and some type of covering to keep the weather out. Just throwing a tarp over it won't work as air needs to be able to move around to dry any moisture away as any masonry will sweat as the temperature changes. Maybe a way to stop the rebar from rusting into the masonry as well as this will make matters worse. Getting it stable now may be a way to save it in the future. Some 2 x 4 framing, a few good tarps and some cribbing and a weekend could be doable. I'm just throwing my two cents in. Thanks

Those are great ideas. I believe that it has been just sitting out in the elements for a while. There are some photos posted on the forum by tikiskip showing it sitting. They were photos taken after it's delivery. I don't think the items have moved at all.

I'm in for a $20 spot or two to save the fireplace if we can find a decent home for it.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2010-02-21 14:23 ]

On 2010-02-20 18:02, tikiskip wrote:
"Placing it in a private setting restored is better then letting it deteriorate in a driveway."

This is very true, I must agree.
I know when these left town people were angry that they left Ohio.
Myself I thought it was cool because..
A, They were saved.
B, When kahiki items leave the state it spreads the Kahiki world wide.
C, I don't think at that time anybody here had the money or drive to do anything
with them.

Oh, after the fact there are always people who say we couldaa this, or we woulda that.
I would not have the one I have if it were not for my wife.
When they asked if I wanted that I said heck no.
My wife said we must get it, weird I know.
Well the time is now, WHO is going to save these?
I say that in five years from now they still sit where they are now.(hope I am wrong)
And yes Amys would be a great place for these!
She is a double A personality and gets things done.
No coulda, shoulda, woulda, with her.

Thanks Skip, and Jim, I actually sent Holden to see the fireplace when it was in storage over 3 years ago, Although I was scheduled to go to see all the stuff but my dad was sick and I canceled. Holden was kind enough to go for me. I know it was in poor shape back then and if I had been there I would have bought it. It has been moved to it's current location, and that move did more damage I was told.

If it can be moved to Ohio, that would be fitting, if it can't I will continue to watch and see if I can help

Amy

Thanks for the postings everyone. I can tell you are a great group of people who have a real passion for preserving history. I would love the opportunity to see your oasis some time Amy, it might give me some additional ideas for the film concept.

Dean

K

My vote is to use the fireplace to CRUSH the Walgreens that sits on the grave site of the Kahiki on East Broad Street here in Columbus.

Then erect a polynesian restaurant around the fireplace.

[ Edited by: Kahtiki 2010-04-07 17:24 ]

T

Good time for a bump on this one.
looks like put up or shut up time is here.

On 2010-04-07 17:22, Kahtiki wrote:
My vote is to use the fireplace to CRUSH the Walgreens that sits on the grave site of the Kahiki on East Broad Street here in Columbus.

Then erect a polynesian restaurant around the fireplace.

[ Edited by: Kahtiki 2010-04-07 17:24 ]

Kahtiki, great idea! It gets our vote and full support. BTW, nice name -- our newest 'secret'* tiki bar in Florida has that name.

Any news on the fireplace?

• Ie unknown to TC and tiki people in general

[ Edited by: mike and marie 2017-08-13 14:16 ]

Have not heard from Greg forever.
He does not come here anymore.

My Moai from the front of the Kahiki is getting worse as I have done nothing to it.
It needs lots of welding and then concrete put on outside.

Who knows if it will ever get done.

On 2017-08-17 12:08, tikiskip wrote:
My Moai from the front of the Kahiki is getting worse as I have done nothing to it.
It needs lots of welding and then concrete put on outside.

Who knows if it will ever get done.

We are good with concrete. Heck we have a big bag in the garage. Let's do it!

Pages: 1 24 replies