Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

What kind of hand planer do you use / recommend?

Pages: 1 7 replies

P

Ready to step up to a more expensive, non-harbor freight piece in hopes of finding one that has a little better depth of cut, so I can seriously mow some bark down!

So what are you using & why?

I don't think any planer will give the depth that you want.
This is what you want: http://logwizard.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4:log-wizard&catid=5:articles&Itemid=6

P

DUDE!!!

Holy crap!!! I need one of those like a fat kid needs candy!!!!

Thanks bro!!!!

T

That looks awesome. Now to get my chainsaws fixed...

On 2010-02-26 11:16, pjc5150 wrote:
DUDE!!!
Holy crap!!! I need one of those like a fat kid needs candy!!!!

Haha, that pretty much was the same reaction Billy the Crud had when I let him use mine the other weekend!

They have a high danger potential, but work as good as you hope.

HA HA 4wdtiki thats funny shiat lol

Skip to 4:30 on the video:

log cleaning video

My choice is the economical ryobi planer. It runs about $70 new. I picked up another new/stolen one at the swap for $20 a while back.

My main issue with the log wizard is still the price. last time I looked it was about $179. Add the chainsaw and that's more than I paid for every tool I own combined.( Almost :) )

I did see the log wizard in action over at Billy's last week and it works real well on real thick palm bark. Definitely not a finesse tool though. You'll still need something after it to get the log surface even and clean to carve it up. I think 4Wd uses a Ryobi after he wizards it.

Most of the time, I use a draw knife and clean it up with the Ryobi.

Here's an old rant I did on a log wizard a while ago:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19078&forum=7&vpost=238360&PHPSESSID=20c99ab349bd0f18885e75269fcea009

Buzzy Out!

P

Wow, you can skin a 5 ft log in 20 minutes with your planer?

Well, either I'm retarded or my planer totally blows.

That would take me a good hour or 2 with my Harbor Freight piece.

Pages: 1 7 replies