Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

2009 Was a Great Year for Les Baxter!

Pages: 1 10 replies

Three limited edition film score CDs were released:

Master of the World/Barbarian - with bonus tracks
Dunwich Horror - with bonus tracks
Panic in Year Zero - previously unreleased.

I think "Space Escapade" was released on CD in 2009, but that may have been 2008.

In 2010, we're supposed to get his previously unreleased soundtrack for X

I wonder what else is out there. Sadly, his scores for the Poe films are supposedly lost.

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2010-03-02 19:42 ]

On 2010-02-27 06:58, OnyaBirri wrote:
Three limited edition film score CDs were released:

Master of the World/Barbian - with bonus tracks
Dunwich Horror - with bonus tracks
Panic in Year Zero - previously unreleased.

I think "Space Escapade" was released on CD in 2009, but that may have been 2008.

In 2010, we're supposed to get his previously unreleased soundtrack for X

I wonder what else is out there. Sadly, his scores for the Poe films are supposedly lost.

It was a good year!! :)

Space Escapade was released on Cherry Red Records out of the UK in 2009. It is the mono version whicj I actually prefer. A two-fer with mono and stereo would have been better. Plus I think these were taken off vinyl. This still needs a proper release but I'll take what I can get!

X - The Man with the X-Ray Eyes soundtrack would be awesome!! "If thy eye offends thee, pluck it out."

I'm trying for a Bride and the Beast release but haven't gotton any takers yet. It has pieces that also appear on Ports of Pleasure.

There are a few Poe related things floating around. There was a few reels of stuff that sold on eBay back in 2000 and 2001 but they went for a LOT of money.

Thanks for helping to keep Les Baxter's music alive Drew!!

Let's hope 2010 is just as good!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Q

Jeff, I believe you are correct regarding Cherry Red Records. I believe I've read somewhere that virtually all of their reissue material is from vinyl transfers. It's also a shame that Bora Bora isn't on CD, but I imagine this one would be even harder to obtain a transfer from the master tapes since it's a pretty rare title.

O

I thought that Space Escapade sounded good for a vinyl lift. There is virtually no inner groove distortion on the final track from each side, which is often a giveaway.

"Dunwich" was mastered from vinyl and I couldn't believe it, the sound is incredible.

Jeff, what if going on with "The Beast Within?"

On 2010-03-03 04:35, OnyaBirri wrote:

Jeff, what if going on with "The Beast Within?"

Quality was not good enough. Nobody knows if the Master reels still exist. All we have are cassette copies.

There is a boot floating around on CD (eBay) so that may be the only way to get this.

If I had the money I would release it myself as well as The Bride and the Beast.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

IZ

On 2010-03-02 06:58, Jeff Central wrote:

X - The Man with the X-Ray Eyes soundtrack would be awesome!!

I wanna copy of the "Ray Milland Twist" from the interns' party scene!

O

I wanna copy of the "Ray Milland Twist" from the interns' party scene!

There is woman in that scene who I am COMPLETELY IN LOVE WITH! She is wearing a black dress.

I don't get why anyone would pay for a vinyl transfer CD. I don't mean to put anyone down but they got king-size nads over at Cherry Red. Buy a good LP copy! Then you can rip a CD and have something for the wall of your tiki lounge.

Q

don't get why anyone would pay for a vinyl transfer CD. I don't mean to put anyone down but they got king-size nads over at Cherry Red. Buy a good LP copy! Then you can rip a CD and have something for the wall of your tiki lounge.

That's hilarious!! :D

I personally like vinyl more than CD, plus you get the great cover artwork, but it's definitely more convenient in a CD or MP3 format. I guess if you're technically challenged, it's worth it.

I have bought some obscure stuff off of Amazon as a CD and it looked like it was ripped from someone's home computer, with an inkjet print for the insert. I remember getting it and saying to myself, "Is this legit or pirated material? Crap, I could've done a better job myself!". Don't know anything about Cherry Red Records, but have seen their stuff kicking around eBay from time to time.

O

On 2010-03-05 09:24, pappythesailor wrote:
I don't get why anyone would pay for a vinyl transfer CD. I don't mean to put anyone down but they got king-size nads over at Cherry Red. Buy a good LP copy! Then you can rip a CD and have something for the wall of your tiki lounge.

First, a CD mastered from vinyl does not necessarily sound "bad" if it's done right. And if the master tapes are lost (as was the case with "Dunwich"), then there's not much choice.

Second, most of these releases contained previously unreleased tracks from the films.

Third, if the major labels are unwilling to release stuff from their back catalog, then I applaud the independent labels for releasing their own versions.

Fourth, you never would have guessed "Dunwich" was mastered from vinyl.

Fifth, these are limited editions, and buyers will make money off them if they want to unload them after they sell out.

I picked up an original Capitol 7 1/2 ips 2-track pre-recorded reel to reel tape of “Space Escapade” a few months ago on e-bay, and it sounds AMAZING. If you want to hear 3 songs from this tape, go to “An Evening At The Buddies Lounge” – show 70, and start at 46:45 into the show! Enjoy!

http://buddieslounge.podOmatic.com/

Pages: 1 10 replies