Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Info on Libby mugs

Pages: 1 9 replies

Z

I just got a set of brown/green glazed mugs marked,'Libby' on the bottom. The tiki is a jagged tooth style. Any info on this manufacturer or the history on this mug?

~Zero

They're new, all over the place, and I think they wholesale for no more than about $2 each.

Buzzy Out!

Z

Thanks for the heads up, man. Mucho appreciado.
They are actually labelled, 'Libbey', but I'm sure it's the same...
bugger.

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2010-02-28 16:28 ]

They were selling them at Cost Plus a while back, I think they were about $3. I've seen people try to pass them off as "vintage" at some of the antique markets.

FM

This thread below about covers it. Note the useful information from someone called fez monkey. :)

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25032&forum=5&hilite=libbey

Yeah, I've seen people listing these as vintage mugs from the 50's on eBay. I informed them otherwise. Not one has changed their listing as a result.
(Losers)

• fm

Gotta say this chaps my hide, I see new mugs all the time being sold as vintage, sellers just don't want to hear otherwise.
I have an affinity for midcentury vintage, it sort of bugs me when sellers make no effert to research what it is they are selling
yet ask high prices, because they think people will pay it, for an item that isn't even Vintage!

Hey, a newbie can really get sucked in! The second mug I ever found in the wild was their Moai mug. I bought it at an antique store as a "vintage tiki mug". I had just joined TC and I don't think I even knew what Ooga-Mooga was yet. You don't want to know what I paid for it...

TS

If you inform the seller that the listing is considered fraudulent, they will usually "correct" and revise the auction. If not, notify eBay, and let them deal with it. It is the responsibility of the seller to know the items they are selling. If they do not know, then they need to list it accordingly with vague information, and not using padded descriptions.

I'm sure MOST of these fraudulent sellers know what it is, but want to get more search results by using certain non-accurate keywords and tags. The keyword "Vintage" is a prime example of an abused word in ebay auctions. Notify the sellers, and then notify ebay that the auction is fraudulent and misleading. Sellers know better, and should be reprimanded by eBay for falsely advertising and misrepresenting products. eBusive auctions suck and crowd out the legitimate, accurately described items!

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-03-01 14:52 ]

Z

Yeah, I bought 4 of them at an antique store. The owner was probably told they were old.

At least I didn't pay retail for them...
sigh
I thought my 'getting burned for mugs' days were over.

Z

also curious...are there other manufacturers that did this design aside from Schonfelds and Orchids of Hawaii?

Pages: 1 9 replies