Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Drink recipes using passion fruit syrup, please

Pages: 1 15 replies

Hello all,

I had my first Hurricane over the weekend, and now I am in search of other great drinks that use passion fruit syrup. If you have some favorites, please list them here.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply!

Dave

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Mar 2, 2010 9:28 AM

On 2010-03-02 09:18, Dave in the basement wrote:
Hello all,

I had my first Hurricane over the weekend, and now I am in search of other great drinks that use passion fruit syrup. If you have some favorites, please list them here.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply!

Dave

Head to The Grogalizer and get signed up. Click all the stuff in your bar, including Passion Fruit Syrup. Then after you click the search, do a "Special Search" at the top of the recipes found page and click PassionFruit Syrup. That will show you all you can make from the Bum's books...

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Mar 2, 2010 9:29 AM

Oh, an d if you are buying, look for Monin online or on the Grogalizer page there is a link for PFS that takes you to Aunty Lilkoi's.

H

Swanky is right. Pick up all of Beachbum Berry's books and then use the Grogalizer. You're going to find that passion fruit syrup is a very common ingredient found in many great drinks.

My latest favorite drink that uses passion fruit syrup is the Saturn as found in Taboo Table (pg87).
Lemon juice, passion fruit syrup, falernum, orgeat and gin. Good stuff.

S
M

Donn Beach's "Cobra's Fang" is one of my personal favorites. But any take on the 151 swizzle always pleases me.

S

One of my most favourite cocktails, although not a Tiki drink, is;

30ml Bourbon
30ml Calvados (you could use Applejack)
30ml Passion fruit syrup
dash of lemon juice
dash of orange flower water

I use Monin Passion fruit syrup and cut it back a little bit so that it's not too sweet.

Name escapes me at the moment(i think it's called The Avenue), but it's from the Ted Haigh book Forgotten Drinks and Vintage Spirits.

H
Hearn posted on Thu, Mar 4, 2010 5:50 AM

Whatever drink you make...I HIGHLY reccomend Aunty Lilikoi Passion Fruit Syrup (from Hawaii...you can order 4 bottles online for around $40...expensive but seriously worth it).

I had been using Finest Call for awhile, and it was perfectly fine, but Aunty's is a whole new level...

B

I'll second that "Reverb Crash" it's dakine....

I use the Maui Passion Syrup from the Maui Jelly Factory.. good stuff..

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Mar 9, 2010 8:24 AM

I recently did some clean-up on the Grogalizer. Used to have 3 or 4 PFS varieties listed, but they all went down in flames. Trader Vic's, Torani, they all changed and were not good. So, now it just has one option and a link to Aunty Lilkoi's. To me, theirs is much like TV, which was my standard, but it is even better. I bought 4 bottles at a time and it came in one box, which helped cut the shipping cost. Just shake it up before pouring.

BTW, I found Passion Fruit Nectar on the shelf at Whole Foods. Not refridgerated. Might have it near you.

Here are the drinks where i found passion fruit syrup made big difference (as opposed to using juice):

Hurricane (for the better, provided that one uses only a half to one ounce for each two oz of rum)

Cobra Fang (makes it too tart, liked it better w/juice which allowed the rums to show more)

Chief Lapu Lapu (improves)

Reverb Crash (better than with juice only)

I found the Spievak zombie too tart, whether using syrup or juice.

Chief Lapu Lapu and Spindrift are my favorites. In fact, they are practically the same drink.

I make my own PFS but a strange, little, strip mall store near my office carries Auntie Lilikoi.

H

I like Pieces of Eight ( from Remixed)

1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
1 1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 oz. passion fruit syrup
1 1/2 oz. light Puerto Rican rum
4 oz. (1/2 cup) crushed ice.

just plain simple and good.

M
Markm3 posted on Tue, Jun 7, 2011 9:06 PM

Yup, Cobras fang, or the similar sidewinders fang, both two of my favorites.

I also really enjoy the replica Ray's Mistake recipes that include passionfruit syrup.

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jun 3, 2013 1:32 PM

I think the Aku Aku version of the Zombie from Remixed...

Pages: 1 15 replies