Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

San Diego recommendations?

Pages: 1 11 replies

Hi all. We are heading south to San Diego in April and are looking for tips on the best tiki digs to check out whether they are bars, hotels, shows, art, etc. The Bali Hai is high on our list (hoping the remodel is done by then) and we have a long list of other tiki establishments culled from a variety or research sources but I thought I would turn to my forum Ohana for real world advice. Mahalo in advance!

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Mar 2, 2010 11:09 AM

Mission Beach (Mission Bay) - the Freaky Boutiki gallery.

While you're at Mission Beach, stop by Belmont Park and take a spin on the classic 1924 wooden roller-coaster the Giant Dipper...easy, just park and ride.

I think I read in the Bali HI remodel thread that, the remodel is supposed to be done by the end of April.

If you go over to where Bali Hi is.
Make sure you see Humphry's Resort,
and Trader Mort's Liquor store up the street.

all though its been massively remodeled from its former glory,
check out the Hanalei Hotel aka, The Crown Plaza off the 8 freeway.

I'm not a huge fan,
But check out Mr. Tiki in the Gas light district.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-03-03 09:27 ]

Ah! HELP! My friends and I are having a GIANT nautical birthday party on Sat and we were supposed to make reservations at Mr Tiki (beacuse the Bali Hai is closed for remodeling) but Mr Tikis is closed to!!! Are there ANY tiki-esque restaurants in the area?!?!?!??! HEEEEELLLPP!!!!

Not Tiki but Tom Hamms Lighthouse, which is owned by the same people who own Bali Hai Reaturant, serve the Bali Hai Mai Tai :) Also The Pearl Hotel is kind of swanky :)

or the restaurant at the Hanalei Hotel, aka the Crown Plaza hotel.,
its nowhere near as tiki as it used to be.
more Philippians looking now, But it does have a bit of Hawaiiana style decor.

Jeff(btd)

The Red Sails on Shelter Island is nautical and has a lot of history to it too :)

Try the Catamaran Hotel just north of the Freaky Botiki they have a nice place with lots of Hawaiian art they do a Luau during the summer. I think you will like the food. Good view of the bay.

I have lived in San Diego my whole life. There is so much to see, you would have to take a few vacations to see everything. I suggest visiting old town and The San Diego Zoo. The zoo is the biggest one in the world I believe. It is a great city for a tourist. I hope you have a blast.

[ Edited by: eraserhead87 2010-03-22 06:20 ]

I agree with Chef about the Catamaran.

They also put in a Roy's http://www.roysrestaurant.com/ by the convention center on Harbor.

The pearl Hotel, right near Shelter island...Not Tiki necessarily, but an awesome re-do of Mid Century Modern.

T

Go see Hodad Hank at Freaky Boutiki! It's an awesome shop!!!

Pages: 1 11 replies