Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Finally 3 good cocktail bars in Paris !!

Pages: 1 14 replies

V

Except going to the Ritz at the Hemingway bar for some very expensive cocktails (24 euros...), it was impossible to get a real cocktail here in Paris. You could get mojito, ti punch, vodka tonic, but not a cocktail.

For the second time with Tikichris, we went to the "Experimental Cocktail Club" yesterday to sample some of their drinks.
And we concluded they are damn good. Some experimentations, but very respectful to the classics, lots of great combinaison.

They seem to change their menu often, and we really liked what we got. The place is tiny, on a small street near the Montorgueil street in Les Halles, it looks like a NY small bar, in an old building, with Bricks and woods on the walls. Very dark place, with design chandelier.

One of our favorite drink was the Old Cuban (Havana Club 3-yr, Champagne, Ginger cordial, lime juice, fresh mint, sugar cane, and angostura bitters). One of their popular is the “Strawberry Alarm Clock,” (Ketel One, fresh strawberries, fresh lemon, fresh mint, strawberry cordial), the Experience 1 (Ketel One, fresh lime, basil, lemongrass and elderflower cordial). There was yesterday a Nouveau Gin Tonic, with Cucumber... I liked the French 75 (old receipe from 1914) - Cognac Grosperrin, Champagne, fresh lemon, and cane sugar). They have 4 versions of Old Fashioned, we had the rum one (really good), and the more classic Rye one.

I don't remember the one we had that I really liked, probably the best, with old whisky soaked ice cubes on it, hmmm, delicious. A man's drink.

Chris took the menu, maybe he can post it here, although, since last time, they've changed their menu.

Bad side is the organisation of the place. They're supposed to be open at 6pm, but I've never seen them open before 7pm, and even if you make a reservation for a booth (4 tables for 6), you can find the bar crowded (especially on week ends), without your place reserved. But the staff is nice, even if trendy. Don't hesitate to ask for suggestions.

And don't hesitate to buy me a drink there when you're in town, and I'd be happy to translate the menu for you !! One of my favorite parisian restaurant is very nearby (they make the best Baba au Rhum), and they're is the best Escargot restaurant too, so you can have a damn good evening within walking distance.

Prices are high, 10 to 12 euros for a cocktail. With Pretzel.

[ Edited by: virani 2010-10-01 02:46 ]

Sounds like this is going to be your second home?

hey virani - when Nicole and I were in Paris last year we did not get to go to ECC but really wanted to. Glad to hear it is as good as we hoped. There definitely are some good cocktails in Paris, but man that is an expensive city to drink spirits. Plenty of cheap wine and beer, but wow the cocktails will dent your wallet.

Have you been to Mama Shelter or Curio Parlor?

Last year Nicole and I had some great cocktails at both those places - at Mama Shelter ask for Josef Akhavan the head barman and tell him we said hello. At Curio Parlor it's a bit of a younger crowd, but the drinks were really good and I remember getting an original tiki-style creation there served in a HUGE wooden mug.

Of course we hit the Hemingway Bar for one drink (40 euros!), but I guess it's what you do as a tourist.

I do like Harry's, even if the drinks are somewhat inconsistent. I like that you can feel the history there.

Being a huge rum nerd (like I'm alone here), I did enjoy la rhumerie. Good selection of rhums and decent cocktails.

EDIT - Nicole reminded me of a couple of other bars we hit:

The George V bar at the Ritz - less expensive than the Hemingway, but a similar experience. They had a couple of interesting cocktails and it was fun to look at their top shelf rum list ('52 Clement for $$$$$).

The other place we stumbled on was the bar at the back of Laduree (the macaroon place). They had some pretty good original cocktails, but the real reason to go is to see the bar - The whole room looks like you're underwater. Total Captain Nemo stuff.

That reminds me, we also wanted to hit the Jules Verne place at the base of Eiffel Tower but could not work it in. Maybe next time...

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm an enthusiast.

[ Edited by: leisure master 2010-03-07 12:17 ]

V

No, I've never been to those 2 places.
The Curio Parlor is the second bar of the guys from the Experimental Cocktail Club, and I heard it's better at the ECC, but yes, i want to try that one too, because they have their own menu and seems to make real good cocktails too.
I've heard the Mama Shelter was just trendy but really bad. But then, I thought it was only a restaurant/hotel...hmm

I don't really like Harry's, for the customers and the drinks. No, thanks.

But, yeah, I love to go to La Rhumerie too, and have their Accra de Morue. Delicious. And a nice rum menu.

And a good thing to do if you have some time in Paris is taking a cocktail class with Colin Field of the Hemingway bar on saturdays for an hour and a half (it can be in French or English). For 100 euros, you get a special lesson (when I took it, we were only 2 attendees), you sample drinks, liquors..., he makes you a special cocktail for you, and you leave with a certificate, and a beautiful Ritz cocktail glass.

Here's a good blog in english about the cocktail bars in Paris : http://52martinis.blogspot.com/ There are a few, but really, I don't appreciate a lot. Usually, it's too trendy,with an awful service like you are bothering the bartenders, and they don't know how to make a Sidecar or a Martini.

Thanks virani - I forgot that Curio was owned by the ECC people.

Actually I had the reverse experience with those bars than you describe - I thought Curio was more "trendy" than Mama Shelter (meaning very young crowd, doorman, velvet ropes, etc.), but then again we went to Mama Shelter right when they opened for the night and Curio later when things were hopping. I would recommend both places though. Definitely don't write off Mama Shelter - especially if Josef is behind the stick!

I can understand why as a local you would not like Harry's. I really just like the feel of the place but I can understand how it could get old if you lived there (BUZZ BUZZ!!)

V

On 2010-03-07 06:20, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Sounds like this is going to be your second home?

No, it's a bit too expensive for me, and I prefer trying new cocktails at home. I'm not really a bar crawler or hipster, I prefer drinking with friends in homes, and my friends don't want to spend big euros on cocktails, unfortunatly !
So it's gonna be my favorite bar for when I have tiki friends visiting !

V
virani posted on Sun, Mar 7, 2010 1:26 PM

thank you Joe. I'll follow your advice and try those 2 bars. I know I can trust you, and it seems you know more about Parisian cocktail bars than I do ! Too bad I'm out of the city now, and don't go there really often, and that those new bars weren't there when I lived in Paris Intra-Muros for 10 years.
Well, it finally seems Paris is also having a cocktail revival. I hope the next step will be an absinthe bar with the dropper and everything.
Please, next time you're here, let's try some bars together.

My good friend Xavier Padovani set up the bar at Mama Shelter, one of the plans was that we were going to take a cast of Philippe Starcks head and produce a bowl to drink out of. Unfortunately it never happened.

V
virani posted on Fri, Oct 1, 2010 2:43 AM

I finally visited the Curio Parlor yesterday, after having trying and liking the Prescription, another bar of the same owners !
Curio Parlor and Prescription cocktail club are both Rive Gauche, wich is south of the Seine, in little streets near St Michel and Odéon.

The 3 bars are wonderful, different cocktail menus but all great.

And at the Curio, they have 2 tiki drinks :

• Jungle Bird Tiki (Campari, Dark Jamaican rum, Mount Gay Eclipse, Velvet Falernum, Peychaud bitters, fresh pineapple and lime)
  • Jamaican Scorpion Tiki (Appleton VX, Cognac Grosperrin, lemon juice, Peychaud bitters, fresh OJ, and orgeat).

Both served in Tiki Farm mugs. Great ! My first tiki mug drink in a bar in Paris experience.

And my favorite I think (I tried 9 drinks with 2 friends) was the Spiced Mule (El Dorado Spiced rum, fresh Ginger, lime juice, vanilla sugar, organic ginger beer).
The Curio's Special is awesome too with Cucumber, Hendricks gin, mint, Ginger... a beautifully balanced drink.

I highly recommand the place. In the 3 bars, the bartenders are really friendly, knowsand like tiki, likes cocktail culture, talk a lot about it and are happy to learn about new drinks, products. They made me try a bunch of home made liquors, falernum (really good), gin...

[ Edited by: virani 2010-10-01 02:45 ]

V

a round :

Curio's Special, Spiced Mule, Jungle bird

[ Edited by: virani 2010-10-03 00:28 ]

N
nuKKe posted on Tue, Oct 5, 2010 11:51 AM

Hi Virani, which one do you like the best?
Going to Paris in November and not sure if I have the time, the $$$ (no reachable Euro sign on my keyboard) or the right mood, but I'd like to check out at least one bar.

Keren.

V

Really, I don't know, I like them all.
Maybe decide on wherever part of Paris you are at the time you want a cocktail !

the Bartender at Prescription was the nicer I think, and he's irish, so fluently english. But they sometimes change from one bar to the other, so... if you want a tiki mug drink, then the Curio Parlor. And I think the nicer is the Experimental, in an old Parisian building, very beautiful (but small).

Try to go on week days, early (around 8pm to 9pm). You'll have more fun, and will be able to have a good chat with the bartenders.

Virani,
You're so fluent in English, you make me want to learn French.

(but that aint gonna' happen :) )

V

On 2010-10-05 23:58, Unga Bunga wrote:
Virani,

Aren't you already fluent in french (fries) ?

UB

On 2010-10-06 00:24, virani wrote:

On 2010-10-05 23:58, Unga Bunga wrote:
Virani,

Aren't you already fluent in french (fries) ?

Actually, I prefer the American fries at the Ritz, downtown Paris.

Pages: 1 14 replies