Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

How many puffers?

Pages: 1 16 replies

M
Murph posted on Tue, Mar 9, 2010 4:00 PM

So how many puffer fish do you have hanging in your Tiki space?

B

Just Two, But were expecting Keiki ANYTIME!!!
Mo Da Betta....

One big puffer lamp, one medium puffer lamp, one small puffer lamp and one lit puffer in a fish float. But right now I've also got 2 large puffer lamps on my bar, 3 small puffer lamps on my bar and a massive puffer lamp sitting in my living room. Not to mention a box-0-puffers in my bedroom. Watch your step!

I think I've got right around 25 light features (lamps, sconces, converted tiki torches, waterfall lights) total in 64 sq feet! Low watt bulbs kill it.

B

On 2010-03-09 18:49, kahalakruzer wrote:
One big puffer lamp, one medium puffer lamp, one small puffer lamp and one lit puffer in a fish float. But right now I've also got 2 large puffer lamps on my bar, 3 small puffer lamps on my bar and a massive puffer lamp sitting in my living room. Not to mention a box-0-puffers in my bedroom. Watch your step!

I think I've got right around 25 light features (lamps, sconces, converted tiki torches, waterfall lights) total in 64 sq feet! Low watt bulbs kill it.

DAMM!! Whatever happened to "One Puff Nuff".... :wink:

M
Murph posted on Tue, Mar 9, 2010 8:57 PM

On 2010-03-09 18:49, kahalakruzer wrote:

You do know you need a Puffer intervention.:D

On 2010-03-09 20:57, Murph wrote:

I can't help it. There's just comething about puffer fish that I can't resist; they are all just so unique. In my own defense though, the ones that aren't hanging are all projects that are for sale! :)

On a slight side note, this morning I was riding my bike to work with a small puffer (I needed to ship it out) in a crate over my rear fender, and when I got to work, I looked back, and the fish was gone! I just wish I could see the baffled look on the person's face that finds that thing! So good.

M
Murph posted on Tue, Mar 9, 2010 9:43 PM

On 2010-03-09 21:13, kahalakruzer wrote:

On 2010-03-09 20:57, Murph wrote:

I can't help it. There's just comething about puffer fish that I can't resist; they are all just so unique. In my own defense though, the ones that aren't hanging are all projects that are for sale! :)

On a slight side note, this morning I was riding my bike to work with a small puffer (I needed to ship it out) in a crate over my rear fender, and when I got to work, I looked back, and the fish was gone! I just wish I could see the baffled look on the person's face that finds that thing! So good.

Too funny. I'll bet someone ends up posting it in "Tiki Finds"

B

I have one lonely non-lamp puffer I got at some seaside shoppe - he's very lonely and could use a friend - preferably one that lights up! LOL

I was told yesterday that puffers might be going on the endangered species list.
I have not confirmed this though.

M
Murph posted on Wed, Mar 10, 2010 1:59 PM

There are more than 120 species of puffer fish. I wonder which ones they are considering?
Anyone know which species our typical Tiki bar puffers belong to?

Keep an eye out for a future posting from me.
Hopefully, in the not-too-distant future I will have some puffer-fish lamp news to share with all of you.
Cryptically Yours,
Tangaroa-Ru

M
Murph posted on Wed, Mar 10, 2010 4:43 PM

You tease..

One, wanting a lit one, or ten.

I've got 2 or 3 18"-19" puffer lamps for sale, and 3 9" puffer lamps for sale that I had posted in marketplace for anyone that's looking. PM me for more info.

On 2010-03-10 13:59, Murph wrote:
There are more than 120 species of puffer fish. I wonder which ones they are considering?
Anyone know which species our typical Tiki bar puffers belong to?

Spiky ones are Porcupine fish.
Puffer fish are farmed so the only endangered ones would be in the wild, interestingly the farmed ones have had the poison bred out of them for safer eating. In my experience there are enough to be a nuisance when fishing as they chew through your line all the time.

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Mar 11, 2010 9:42 AM

Hey Murph -

I own exactly 0 puffer fish :(

-but I have a feeling this sitch is going to change for the better pretty soon -
I have multiple new ideas for puffer fish lights :)

Hope to start on one at CheekyGirl's CHOP next weekend. G

T

I SHOULD have 3 puffers, I WOULD have 3 puffers, I COULD have 3 puffers, but I only have one (lit).
At a gigantic swap a few years back I happened on a box of three puffers (med. to large) for $5/apiece and - instituting the M.A. In Bad Decisions I was granted many many years ago - only got one of 'em. I tend to go far underboard at swaps & spend way too little instead of too much, getting home with only a few cool items and saying to myself, "Geez - why in hell didn't I pick up that ____?!".
Very weird.
Actually, by the time I had made the rounds, parts of my body were so pin-pricked by the thing (think those injuries are like Posthumous-Puffer-Revenge for having been turned into lamps) that I didn't even want the other two. However, my butt's been bruised ever since from the continual kicking I been giving it.

(PS - the person who got those other two, let me know cos I'm ready to buy them now! They still $5 each?)

Pages: 1 16 replies