Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Whats in your...

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

DawnTiki,
Sorry, couldn't help myself. I seem to have this talent (curse) for tying things together that don't make sense to anyone but me. Colonel Jimmy Doolittle led the first mainland attack on Japan after Pearl Harbor. Taking off from the aircraft carrier Hornet with a squadron of 16 B-25 light twin engine bombers they hit the city of Tokyo in a raid later referred to as "30 seconds over Tokyo". The Pere Ubu song of the same name can be found on an obscure British EP called "Datapanic in the Year Zero" on Radar Records released in 1977. Now for this week's history quiz - does anyone remember the San Francisco punk band Pearl Harbor & the Explosions that used to play at the notorious Mabuhay(?) Gardens? Do they have anything out on vinyl or? Just wandering.

B

[ Edited by: badmojo 2006-06-08 11:23 ]

D

Alex, I'll take Famous Doolittles for 400. :drink:

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-05-05 01:42 ]

T

OK here is my list:

• Jimmy Buffett - Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
  • Jimmy Buffett - Son of a Son of a Sailor
  • Jimmy Buffett - Margaritaville Cafe Late Night Gumbo [live]
  • Jimmy Buffett - Beach House on the Moon
    and...
  • Martin Denny - Quiet Village

They just all seem to go together! :wink:

T

I am surprised I am the first to list Buffet stuff... Just kidding, HA!

I had to look up his discography to see what his albums were called.

I have been seriously listening to...

• Cousteau - Sirena
  • Cousteau - Cousteau
  • Johnny Cash - Hurt (this song gives me the spooks)
  • Don Tiki - BOTH ALBUMS ROCK-ON!
  • Chris Isaak - Always Got Tonight

tomorrow it'll probably be something completely different. I love these lists!

T

I dont listen to a cd player..I listen to a 10gig Ipod..
Betcha you wanna know whats on it too..
Shakira, no doubt, pink, kitty, appolo 440, skinny puppy, sean paul, lots of rob zombie, pantera, satans pilgrims, sepultura, shockabilly, lots of vintage surf music, squirrel nut zippers, SRV, big bad voodoo daddies...I could go on and on and on..I have over 2k songs on the little sucker..
But I think you get the picture...

T

TC

now playing:

calexico: hot rail

today's stack-o-hits:

merl haggard: self-made compilation

joao gilberto: amoroso/brasil

nick drake: way to blue

ramones: ramones mania

ray kane: wa'ahila

don ho & the aliis: don ho's greatest hits

hable con ella (soundtrack)

andy williams: in the lounge with . . .

johnny cash: at folsom prison

felix mendelssohn & his hawaiian serenaders

old man gloom-seminar lll
martin denny-hypnotique
pelican-s/t
mondo exotica-comp.
5 horse johnson-fat black pussycat
portishead-s/t
milligram-this is class war
hawaiian delights-comp.
halfway to gone-second season
chick corea&gary burton-live in zurich 10/28/79
st. vitus-s/t
les baxter-ritual of the savage
humble pie-smokin
arthur lyman-pele
leafhound-growers of mushroom

....a little odd, but i actually like mixing my heavy rock with exotica.....

VooDoo Pinata -Cabaret Diosa (mambo exotica)
Rumbagitation -Fatal Mambo (French salsa)
a compilation of Cabaret Diosa -"Desi Arnaz on acid"
Mambo & Cha Cha -Perez Prado
The Story of Adam & Eve, a skit -Cabaret Diosa ("Elvis Presley meets Bela Lugosi")
Cabaret Diosa, at Soho, Santa Barbara, CA -a live show! -Carbonated rhumbas and spicy Latinified psychedelia, with a splash of surf guitar

Needless to say, I highly recommend any recording by la Diosa! Check out http://www.cabaretdiosa.com and see if there's a show coming to your area soon! Come join this goddess-worshipping love cult! I'll be the one in the boa...

On 2003-05-03 19:28, Traderpup wrote:
I've seen 'music war' a few times.... remember ON TV? We had a pirate box, and I remember staying up late to watch it! I've seen the movie on cable in the past year or so.

Just yesterday, for some reason, while I was driving to a gig, I was thinking of this movie and started wondering if it was on DVD. Back in my wasted youth in the 80's, my pals and I used to go see URGH! at the midnight movies all the time, an occasional respite from Rocky Horror... but I digress.

Thanks for the link - I'd buy this one is a heartbeat. All the bands that helped form my twisted mind during my 'rebel' years are in theis flick - Devo, Cramps, Gang of Four, XTC, Numan, X, Dead Kennedys... oh, and hey, you gotta love Klaus Nomi too!

This weekend was not to Tiki:
O Brother Where Art Thou Soundtrack
Alone with his guitar - Hank Williams
Double Time - Leon Redbone
The Carter Family: 1927-1934

I remember seeing David Bowie with Klaus Nomi on Saturday Night Live right afer Station to Station came out. I can't remember what song they did. I think it was TVC15. I only remember Bowie was wearing a dress and there was some kind of robotic dog involved. Or maybe this was just some twisted dream I had. If anybody else out there saw what I saw let me know...IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY! On a more sobering note, heard Klaus is no longer with us. I think his demise was due to AIDS. What a cruel twist of fate that someone that talented could fade away virtually unrecognized while so many mediocre Popcorn acts churn out shit year after year makes me want to puke. I guess that's what seperates the artists from the businessmen.

Hey Shipwreck – we meet again.

You’re not dreaming. I saw Bowie/Klaus Nomi on SNL – The song was TVC 15 and (if my memory serves) - Bowie was wearing either a “church lady” kind of dress or a female officer’s military dress uniform. I can’t remember which episode of SNL is was – but I did see it in syndication last year – they may have even run that clip on the best of SNL music special a couple of years ago. Seeing it made me think how totally out there Bowie was in his prime.

Don’t even get me started on the state of the music industry. Needless to say I agree with your comments. On the upside, there is good music being produced by talented artists out there, you just have to wade through a lot of crap to find them.

And to get back to what’s in the CD player at the moment:
Nick Cave – Nocturama
Plunderphonics (John Oswald) – Plexure
Sam Roberts – Inhuman Condition
Daniel Lanois - Shine

Can-Tiki-E,
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I've got expanded digital cable now so I get American BBC (or ambeeb as we call it) they showed an early documentary Bowie movie/show/? last night called "the cracked actor" obviously shot in the Ziggy days (1971/73). It really took me back to that early era when my fave bands were Bowie, Roxy Music, the Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Iggy Pop (saw Iggy AND Bowie on stage together here in S.D. on the Idiot tour, opening band was Blondie, had front row center seats...How killer is THAT?), Lou Reed, T Rex, etc. What a wild ride!

Flashing Echo

Trojan in Dub

1970-80.

(oops. spelled it wrong)

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen on 2003-05-24 22:14 ]

BK

Spring is here! Thought I'd dust off this thread & take it for a ride!

1. Astrud Gilberto's Finest Hour
  2. The Jazz Divas Vol. 3
  3. The Cole Porter Songbook
    Ahhh! Relaxing in my unfinished lounge away from the wife & kids. Sheer bliss!
P
Pyro posted on Sun, Apr 5, 2009 9:10 PM

Local bands mostly (ROcket 88, Traverser) but also Mob Hits and Blue Hawaii.

Pages: 1 2 64 replies