Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Benihana Tiki Mugs Site

Pages: 1 15 replies

W

Benihana Tiki Mugs

Before you gasp and pass out, the site is actually called Benihana Tiki Mugs.*****

Yes, we all know that Benihana mugs aren't actually Tiki mugs. Obviously the term "Tiki mug" is being used in the broad, common way to describe a drinking vessel designed to resemble a person, place, or thing.

But most of us have come across the Benihana mugs and may have pondered the design or craftsmanship. A few of us have even abandoned all concern as to what is tikily correct and included a Benhiana mug or two in our collections. The site has some useful information on the different designs and good pictures. (EDIT: Many of which, I just noticed in a note of thanks on the site, came from Ooga-Mooga! listings.)

*****It's not for the faint of of heart because the site author refers to Benihana mugs as "Tiki mug" a lot. So if that sort of thing will send you over the edge you'd best not look at the site because lines such as

(WARNING! Purists and those who can't just roll their eyes and laugh should stop reading NOW!!!)

"OK, let's get this over with once and for all, this is not, we repeat, NOT, a Benihana Tiki Mug, it's a vase!!" might seriously do you in.)

woofmutt

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2010-03-10 08:57 ]

Ah, this has always interested me, only because I come across 'umpteen of them in my weekly thrifting. I have to say, once in awhile I pick one up, examine it, possibly purchase, but then I always end up putting it back. If I ever came across the 'Fu Man Chu' one though, I would probably buy it. He's pretty cool. But otherwise...naaaaah!

Actually, this is an important part of complete disclosure. Agreed, the generalizing of "Tiki Mug" into a all-purpose term is deplorable, it's good to have all the info.

I like this site, even though he uses some of my images and doesn't specifically give me credit. :lol: It clears up some naming misconceptions and is a good checklist if you're into Benihana mugs.

W

I have the Japanese doll one and one of the earlier Buddhas. I'd definitely snag the Dragon and Snake if I saw one, they're pretty cool.

I think I've come across a fair number of the Fu Manchu (didn't buy one, I've never cared for the design) but I'm not sure if they were actual Benihana mugs. In the Seattle area there were a couple Chinese restaurants that used the all white Chinese character mugs.

In general when I encounter Benihana mugs in the wild my thought is "Dang, so close and yet so far." (It's also funny to see how many have been used as incense burners.)

Love that part: "...though there are several BENIHANA TIKI MUGS that are called Buddha mugs, often in error, we think....."

So it is an error to call them Buddha mugs if they don't depict a Buddha, but if one points out that they should not be called Tiki mugs because they don't depict a Tiki...one is a PURIST!?

Well, I would say that such a person is merely pointing out that someone is hitching a cheap ride on the Tiki revival here.

Interesting. There area few in there that I've NEVER seen before, and I have a few (yes, I'm weak) that he doesn't have shown. Instructive, it is.

There is nothing "weak" or wrong with having Benihana mugs in your collection, to each his own...but naming them Benihana TIKI mugs seems like a desperate attempt to justify their existence on a Tiki mug shelf: If I just say it often enough, it will be so! - Not.

W

Actually, DO deviate from the topic, but please do so in a different thread. It's a discussion worthy of its own thread or reviving one if we've already gone there.

If you start that conversation here this thread will become useless to anyone who wants it as a resource for discussion/comparison of Benhiana mugs as...Benihana mugs.

I stumbled across this site a few years ago. I had thought it was posted here, but probably got wrapped up in something & it slipped my mind. I do apologize for not posting that sooner. But anyways, I'm grateful that someone put a site like that up. It's actually a very interesting read if you are into the Oriental culture and such. It was a great to read some of the back stories of some of the lesser known mugs (like the Canoe Boy and the Daruma mugs). The only ones I would be willing to buy if seen would be the dragon, snake, samurai, and ninja. If you look at page 2, they have their explanation of "What it is and it ain't". It's um... yeah.

I used to have the Benihana mugs in my collection, but gave them to my sister in law who was decorating her home in an oriental style. I bought some of them because they were the only things I could find in a dry spell (and for a few cents), a few were given by friends who stumbled across them at junk shops. I needed the shelf room where they sat and she was happy to get them, so it all worked out in the long run.

I do come across them more often than regular mugs and such. It's actually a frustration to me when I search all over town, and a Benihana mug is the only thing I come across. I leave them for some frat boy to buy and turn into a bong or something. That's not to say that I shun them for being what they are, it's just the magnitude that I find them, it would be futile to collect them with the limited wall space I have. I also find that though they may look good on a shelf, you really don't get a lot of drink out of them. Some mugs would be only an old fashioned sized helping.

But I say if you like them, collect them, if you don't, leave them for someone else to find.

I like 'em, and they look cool in my kitchen. Tanuki is my fav! :)

[ Edited by: TikiKolin 2010-03-11 07:51 ]

At one time I was sure we were going to have the largest collection in the "World" they were everywhere..never considered them as Tiki Mugs..but none the less, they were interesting mugs. During a dry spell almost any mug helps ease the pangs of another day and nothing spotted in the wilds. So we bought, and we bought, and we continued to buy. It's not a diversified collection , I can clearly see now. We call it a sub-collection, one of those off shoots. I have seen many on e-bay for what most would consider extreame even for a rare Tiki mug...and add to it the ever so high postage...we stick to thrift stores and garage sales to continue to grow our off shoot sub collection. It is true that many peeps are fooled and often times we have bought what was labeled string holder. No idea and no research is what most sellers put into it. The joy is in collecting , no matter what you collect, Tiki mugs, string holders or anything else. One of something is a find, two is the start of a new collection. I now have been enlightened and want to thank all of you, what we need is a drink book to go along with the mugs...has anyone ever seen one..as personally I've never been to the restaurant...8)

i just picked up the dragon mug....never saw one till i looked at the above link a couple days ago and then "poof" !! one appears...

N

I found tis today, I’m not sure if it's a Benihana mug but it is about the right size and glaze. I hope it is so I can hand it off to one of those uptight types who see tiki mugs as disrespectful and we can call it even. I bet it once held a virgin bloody mary.

http://benihanatikimugs.blogspot.com/2008/04/snake-mug.html

I have one of the rare Snake mugs and would love to have the Dragon mug. I've listed most of mine on Ooga, but I wish all of them were named on ooga.

Paul

Pages: 1 15 replies