Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Any opinions?

Pages: 1 6 replies

BTD

OK, so I've decided, after much trial and expense, that I really like DMT diamond sharpeners for keeping my chisels ready for action. Now I just have to figure out which sharpening jig to purchase so I can get nice clean, repeatable results when using those DMT sharpeners. I'm trying to decide between the Veritas system and the Kell jigs. Anyone got any thoughts? What are you using to keep your tools sharp?

B

I'm a Sandpaper kind of guy Big Tiki, using 220,400, 500 600 800 1000 1200 1500 and 2000, finishing up with reg rouge on a sheet of cereal box cardboard and this gives a mirror shine in just a few minutes..AND for just a few bux

The diamonds cut quick but you Still need to polish the edge after even the finest diamond (unless you get into the 6000 and up diamond grits.

Just my opinion. :P

Hi Ben, my opinion is that you are a master and there is a lot to learn from you, hugs, Wendy

BTD

2000 grit?? That's freakin amazing! I have read up on doing honing on glass plates with various grades of sandpaper attached to them with with spray adhesive. But I have also heard from a few woodworkers and cabinet makers down at the local woodworking store, and their general opinion is that your tools need to be sharp enough to do what you need them to. At the moment I'm not doing any parquet or inlay work, and I don't see me ever doing anything with cabinets or fine furniture. So, I have to concede that you must get edges that you could perform surgery with, but I really don't think that I need edges that fine. Or do I? This is where I start to get confused. The DMT stones have done wonders for keeping my tools sharp. I think I just need a jig to get repeatable results. Does whacking into an unseen knot or nail do more harm to an edge honed with 2000 grit paper than it does to one sharpened with a lower grit? Like I said before, I am so confused...

[ Edited by: Big Tiki D 2010-03-13 09:06 ]

I use the swiss chisels, which are made of a softer steel. I started sharpening my tools to 2000 grit and then honing them with a micro-abrasive (rouge) and then on raw leather. It worked OK, but they were never as sharp as they were when I first bought them. I then moved to a 4000 grit stone and that was much better, I now use a 6000 grit stone and they get as sharp as they were the day I bought them. Yesterday, I bought a 12,000 grit stone. Over kill? probably.

The finer the grit, the more polished the edge. Less scratch marks in your tool will equate to less friction, creating a smoother cut with less effort.

That's my 2 cents

Splitting the difference, I retouch all my edges every 10-15mins of carving. I use a clipboard with 220, 800, 1000, and 1500 grit sheets. A few passes on "most sheets" and I'm ready in about 1 minute to carve some more. Depending on the edge condition, I'll use every sheet.

I've seen the DMT, been interested in their use, so I am lurking here as well.

On 2010-03-13 09:06, Big Tiki D wrote:
don't think that I need edges that fine. Or do I?

How sharp is sharp enough?

Is there such a thing as too sharp?

Having watched Benzart carve I am thinking that he secretly has the power of telekinesis and simply wills the wood or stone to move out of the way of his tools.

Pages: 1 6 replies