Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

A new fun game for the silent majority party!!

Pages: 1 2 86 replies

Hey, I've got a fun game (This one's for you, Sven!!)....Let's see how many different things we can come up with for the initials F.O.M to stand for... I'll start with three: "Friends Of Matt","Face Of Mid Life Crisis","Flag of Masturbation". Alright, people, let's get'er done!!

Someone already compiled a list....

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/FOM

and none of them are very interesting...

Well, Frag-O-Matic is kind of neat.

I think the best definition of FOM is Fraternal Order of Moai.

You know them, they're the group that donated $3,000 to the Easter Island Foundation a few months ago. You can read about it here:

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/news/index.php/2010/01/11/fom-sends-donation-to-eif

or here:

http://islandheritage.org/wordpress/?page_id=240

I'm still searching, this game might just be fun after all.

Wait, you mean Nixon's Silent Majority?!?!?

Do they hang out at Tiki Central?!?!?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3K2N7FZSXc

They're a quiet bunch which makes them easy to miss.

There they are..... see. Over at the other end of the bar. {waving} Hi!

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2010-03-15 06:14 ]

CHIP AND ANDY ,
I can not think of a better time or place to post 'IT'
than, right HERE, and, right NOW.

I was thinking in terms of the silent majority of people around here who don't necessarily ascribe to the assumption that wearing a funny hat gives johnny-come-lately the right to usurp or belittle the good and tireless work of one of the best friends this subculture and me and many of it's ohana (and not the co-opted word) have ever had or will have...I.E. Sven Kirsten. Funny how a childish sense of self-importance works in so many different directions, eh?

PS There's a good reason this nonsense was posted in bilge.

On 2010-03-14 13:46, Basement Kahuna wrote:
wearing a funny hat

Bargoyle said it much better than I did. Go about three or four posts down.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2010-03-15 06:16 ]

Funny how a childish sense of self-importance works in so many different directions, eh?

Indeed.

Don't make me pull this thread over!

B

I was gonna post "Fiends of Money" or something, but we just keep giving it all away!

How about the $10,000+ to the MS Society last year?
http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/news/index.php/2009/06/01/mission-accomplished

My favorite FOM acronym however (beside Fraternal Order of Moai) is probably:
Fundamenteel Onderzoek der Materie (A Dutch organization for fundamental research of matter)

I think its "Onderzoek"

That's just a funny lookin' word.

*"I was thinking in terms of the silent majority of people around here who don't necessarily ascribe to the assumption that wearing a funny hat gives johnny-come-lately the right to usurp or belittle the good and tireless work of one of the best friends this subculture and me and many of it's ohana (and not the co-opted word) have ever had or will have...I.E. Sven Kirsten. Funny how a childish sense of self-importance works in so many different directions, eh?

PS There's a good reason this nonsense was posted in bilge."* -Basement Kahuna-

This wasn't "nonsense," it was an aggressive attack on a certain group of people, an attempt to start some sort of dust up over intellectual territorial pissing.

Sadly it wasn't even attempted within the spirit of nonsense or parody, it was bashed down into Bilge with a skillfully carved, museum quality war club.

I'm sorry that the the FOM (something I genuinely have no knowledge of) has walked all over your sense of what's correct and right but I see no reason for you to sully the good name of nonsense in your attempt to express your outrage or muck up Bilge with your mud slinging.

K

Woof,

I apologize to you and everyone for this issue being brought here. Certainly not my intention, or doing, but..

Nonetheless, I am sincerely sorry.

Unfortunately, I cannot express my frustration or disagreement as an individual without one or two people making it into a FOM issue. This is regrettable, as the FOM represents a very diverse group of people with opinions that are as varied as they are.

But my voice is always called out as that of the FOM. I do not invoke the name of the FOM in my personal issues. I do not call upon them to assist me with personal issues. Nor do I ever claim to be their voice. There is already enough misunderstanding and disinformation concerning our group.. I would hope that everyone realizes that I, as one person, am not the FOM.

I am just myself. And what I say is only what I believe. It has nothing to do with what our organization does. It is not endorsed, or planned, nor is it policy.

Just me. And my own opinions. I'll stand by them.

But my part in this inspired this thread. My personal issues with one person got taken on by others who wanted to see it escalate even further.

And I am sorry.

Woof, thanks for the post. Really got me thinking. Hanford, that drink is yours any time you need it.

Ahu

S

Ahu, you are the founder and president of the FOM. Whether you want it or not, everything you say is seen as the voice and attitude of that group. And even if you quit it tomorrow, it will remain that way. You define the FOM to a lot of people, both inside and out. There was a time when you were 1/2 of the entire FOM membership. Everyone else here represents themselves to the readers. That's just the facts.

That is preposterous.

Only a small percentage of Tiki Central members even know that Ahu is our "president".

All members of the Fraternal Order of Moai are free thinking individuals, and your suggestion that Ahu speaks for all of us is insulting. If you're just suggesting that it's only a perception at Tiki Central that he speaks for us, you're insulting all Tiki Central members.

We often tell Ahu to "get stuffed". He is not our puppetmaster. He is just another fellow, maybe he has been around longer than anyone else but at the end of the day he is just one vote in any decision. He is also a friend to a lot of us as well as being a Fellow. To say that those who don't know him or any of us personally see him as sothing more is rediculous.

[ Edited by: rugbymatt 2010-03-16 08:09 ]

speak for yourself, ever since i discovered the flag of masturbation i haven't had time for much else.

and ahu told me how to invest my 401k.

C

Your checkered history with the FOM has skewed your view, Swanky.

Ahu no more speaks for all of the FOM, than you speak for all of TC.

As was well-said above....that's just insulting on multiple fronts.

Well yeah Johnny$$, but you're a throwback to the early days when Ahu would arrange our marriages and allow us to procreate only in years that met his numerology specifics. Ever since the mass circumcision of '08, his control over most of us has waned considerably. Hell, once I got my stitches out, I swore to never even drink with him alone ever again.

No, that was the Mass Correction of '08. The circumcision was only for you, but you probably missed that part.... you were pretty groggy after we hit you with that tranq-dart.

The Mass Correction of '08 was the first major cycle of FOM, the time when the wheat was separated from the chaff.

But I shouldn't be talking about it, 'they' can monitor our activities and steal our brainwaves from here.

Hey, dont mess with my supply of farm fresh baby!

S

I certainly know that Ahu does not speak for all FOM. Why, some of my best friends are FOM! I am just saying that as the creator and head of the FOM, when he speaks, it is perceived as being FOM. He's the President. It would be hard to say that the creative force of the FOM and it's head for it's entire existence isn't letting us know what the views and direction of the group are. Even if that is completely incorrect (and several FOM have let me know his views do not necisarily reflect those of its members) it is still a common perception.

I was thinking in terms of the silent majority of people around here who don't necessarily ascribe to the assumption that wearing a funny hat....

Whoa, what the hell kind of thread did I stumble on here...?

Mean-spirited acronym games? Tiki-themed organizations that give thousands of dollars to charity? People somehow anointed to speak on behalf of the ascriptions of the TC silent majority? Heck, I didn't even know there was a silent majority, never mind that they had a champion. Aw crap, now that I have posted I probably lost my spot in the silent majority.

Also good too know - there are tiki-people too sacred to be questioned in any way - especially by those wearing funny hats. Just to clarify, is it OK if I take my hat off first?

...and crap, Ahu is now my lord and master and is my voice on TC - even if he quits the FOM tomorrow? Well that sucks - but do I have to get circumcised to get some of that 401k advice?

Oh wait - Fully Overblown Melodrama, F-ing Obtuse Mutterings...hey this is fun!

"I am just saying that as the creator and head of the FOM, when he speaks, it is perceived as being FOM. He's the President. It would be hard to say that the creative force of the FOM and it's head for it's entire existence isn't letting us know what the views and direction of the group are. Even if that is completely incorrect (and several FOM have let me know his views do not necessarily reflect those of its members) it is still a common perception." -Swanky-

It might be a mistaken assumption but I doubt it's a common perception.

As I stated above I really have no idea what the FOM is other than a MySpace page or something I saw a while back. Even with two recent explanations I still don't have much idea because I have no interest in the FOM and barely glanced at the explanations. (Sorry explainers.)

What I, and I assume most others who regularly visit Tiki Central, have an interest in is good information on the Tiki life and all swell things that orbit it.

If it's a good picture, good history, a good recipe, or just plain good info I don't friggin care if it came off the back of a bottle of Jimmy Buffet's Flamingo-Loha Vodka Flavored Rum or from someone who has a Basement Kahuna carved stick up his ass which was bought by funds raised at a FOM cupcake sale and was personally inserted by BigBroTiki.

That was technically a pie sale if I remember correctly.

Pie!

Woofmutt wins the internet today for most entertaining, and colorful, description of something that made me LOL at work inappropriately.

Congratulations Woofmutt!

Say.... now that you just won a new internet, can I have your old one?

On 2010-03-16 10:40, woofmutt wrote:
[i]If it's a good picture, good history, a good recipe, or just plain good info I don't friggin care if it came off the back of a bottle of Jimmy Buffet's Flamingo-Loha Vodka Flavored Rum or from someone who has a Basement Kahuna carved stick up his ass which was bought by funds raised at a FOM cupcake sale and was personally inserted by BigBroTiki.

Awesome. Well said. Bravo

Fantastic Observation Mutt!!! (sorry couldn't resist)

If this topic turns into a shitstorm I'm going to be very pissed.

What good can really come out of it?

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Mar 16, 2010 1:18 PM

F.O.M.
interesting...
So, how or why did this diaspora happened? I guess I'll ask Little lost tiki...

Technically I believe diaspora would refer to a collective that is permanently displaced. Since many FOM members are here (myself for instance) I believe we'd be more properly termed a subgroup (as far as this discussion is concerned)of the Tiki movement.

Hanford, I don't think you have to worry about this thread. I believe those of us who feel somewhat slighted or attacked by the opening post are committed to relaxed and "gentlemanly" like satire and humor to express some clarity toward the situation.

As for what can come of it? I believe possibly a better understanding of a large group of Tikiphiles by an even larger group of Tikiphiles.

P

I called about the aloha.
I wanted to get a few gallons or sacks or whatever it comes in.

Yes, I'll hold...

We have a special on this week. If you order three Aloha's we'll send you a variety pack of sample sizes of Aloha's you can use as Christmas gifts for friends and family.

Or, if you order five Aloha's we'll include a sixth Aloha for only the cost of shipping and handling.

Yeah, Granite is right - the shiny object is old now for those with short attention spans like me.

We had our say - we'll play nice.

...and there shouldn't be a lot of comments from here - word on the street is that the majority is silent. :roll:

Pablus, please ask for some extra aloha for the rest of us since you've already got them on the line - not too spicy though please.

Pablus, I just got a new shipment in!!!!

I'll put aside a bushel and a peck for you.

Although I understand that's approximately 44.04884 liters, So maybe I'll put aside 2 bushels and a peck for good measure since I'm freakin' flush with the stuff!

On 2010-03-16 14:04, pablus wrote:

Yes, I'll hold...

I called about some a few days ago. They said they wouldn't be getting a new shipment in until early next week.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 16, 2010 4:12 PM

Friends Of Mine
Fart on mom
First of many
Fond of music
Frame-of-mind
fat orangutans mingling
funny old monkey
fistful of money
furious old mizer
Fuck-O-Matic
fear of mimes
fans of Madonna
float over moon
fast on motorcycles
failed oil magnate
fixing orange maitais
friggin' ornery militants

B.K, you never said how many entries we could have in the game.

W

"I called about the aloha. I wanted to get a few gallons or sacks or whatever it comes in."

You called at a good time, we're knee deep in sacks of...Oh, wait, you said Aloha? Never mind.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 16, 2010 4:25 PM

GROG got the thread back on topic, then Woofie derailed it again!

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-03-16 16:25 ]

W

Yeah they call me the Derailer
I run off every track in town
Yeah the call me the Derailer
I run off every track in town
You think your safe at home lil honey
Then the Derailer runs you down

On 2010-03-16 14:04, pablus wrote:

Yes, I'll hold...

I'm sorry you have reached the Alcoa answer line, for information about aluminium foil press 1, Bauxite press 2, soda cans press 3, those great disposable TV dinner trays press 4! Have a nice day!

Grog, you forgot one:

Fisting
Orange
Midgets

On 2010-03-16 13:18, Zeta wrote:
So, how or why did this diaspora happened?

Well I was at the lake all day and my trunks were too tight and....

On 2010-03-16 16:12, GROG wrote:
Friends Of Mine

B.K, you never said how many entries we could have in the game.

Good one Grog, I agree!

whoa whoa whoa,
what about the other "other forum"
on FOM?

:wink:

Jeff(btd)

On 2010-03-15 10:04, woofmutt wrote:
*"I was thinking in terms of the silent majority of people around here who don't necessarily ascribe to the assumption that wearing a funny hat gives johnny-come-lately the right to usurp or belittle the good and tireless work of one of the best friends this subculture and me and many of it's ohana (and not the co-opted word) have ever had or will have...I.E. Sven Kirsten. Funny how a childish sense of self-importance works in so many different directions, eh?

PS There's a good reason this nonsense was posted in bilge."* -Basement Kahuna-

This wasn't "nonsense," it was an aggressive attack on a certain group of people, an attempt to start some sort of dust up over intellectual territorial pissing.

Sadly it wasn't even attempted within the spirit of nonsense or parody, it was bashed down into Bilge with a skillfully carved, museum quality war club.

I'm sorry that the the FOM (something I genuinely have no knowledge of) has walked all over your sense of what's correct and right but I see no reason for you to sully the good name of nonsense in your attempt to express your outrage or muck up Bilge with your mud slinging.

Naw, honestly, woof, I really don't take any of it that seriously... wish I had the time! (Wait a minute...no I don't!) :)

Pages: 1 2 86 replies