Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Help Please. Have you Seen Me Lately?

Pages: 1 5 replies

Probably an obscure question, but does anyone know where to get this exact cocktail glass. A brand name to search for? anything?. (preferably an online source) I have been looking everywhere for a set of these, both online and at the stores around town...no luck. I suspect all those ugly 'cosmo' glasses took the place of these on barware displays in stores. The closest I've come is a thrift store that had about 20 of the same shape but they were about half the diameter. they couldn't have held more than 2 to 3 fluid ounces. I want something in the 5-ounce range. I've been told this particular glass is called a 'champagne saucer' or a 'cocktail saucer' but all the 'saucers' I've found have a convex bowl shape as opposed to this concave shape. Anybody have any ideas???

[ Edited by: TeeKeeMan 2010-03-14 22:03 ]

Teek,
That photo sucks.
You're gonna have to give us more detail.

The glass you are looking for is also called a 'coupe' (pronounced coo-pay.)

Libbey glassware makes them, but I'm not sure if they are available online. You might have some luck looking at sites that do custom imprinting for weddings. They often lat you buy the glasses plain.

hope this helps,
Gina

Thanks for responding. Apologies for the bad picture. This one is about as close as I've come as far as bowl shape goes, but the one I'm looking for is a bit more squared off at the widest point and also the stem not nearly as tall..

I'm finding that the Champagne 'coupe' (Thank you for that word Gina, yes it is a big help!) is, as one online source put it: "nearly extinct' and since there's only 1 exact style I want, I have a feeling that my only hope is to continue searching the thrift stores and/or antique stores.

W

*"The closest I've come is a thrift store that had about 20 of the same shape but they were about half the diameter. they couldn't have held more than 2 to 3 fluid ounces. I want something in the 5-ounce range.

"I'm finding that the Champagne 'coupe'is, as one online source put it: "nearly extinct'..."* -TeeKeeMan-

Do you know if this exact style was made in a five ounce size? If all you've only found small ones there's a good chance that's the only size that was made. Older cocktail glasses were often pretty small. I've come across some that I figured to be pre-1960s which were at the very most three ounces.

Rumors of the coupe's demise may be premature. It's been supposedly making a comeback for a few years now. Wayne Curtis mentioned the coupe recently in a piece he wrote for the JAN/FEB 2010 issue of the Atlantic called Super Sized Cocktails...The drinking man’s case for smaller servings:

Happily, some of the country’s better bars—like the venerable Pegu Club in New York, and Craigie on Main in Cambridge—are inciting a small-cocktail revival. If I had to nominate one icon to represent this trend, it would be the newly popular coupe glass. This is a small, stemmed glass with a gently rounded bowl that makes it more stable and more comfortable in the hand than a stiffly angled Martini glass. Coupes generally hold only four or five ounces, and they inspire many pleasing myths, the most persistent being that the original was made from a mold of Marie Antoinette’s breast. They were once used to serve champagne, but fell out of favor when flutes proved superior. Today you’ll find classic drinks like the Hanky Panky and the Boulevardier served in them, allowing topers to get a snootful of aromatics as they sip.

Since I started this thread, it's been driving me crazy where I first saw the glass since I knew it was in online video by Robert Hess from 'The Cocktail Spirit' and he has dozens out there... I finally found it (in the opening credits!). here's a capture. Like i was saying, at the thrift store nearest my office, there's a whole entire shelf of this exact shape and style of glass, but the diameter is only about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of this. They're clearly made for sipping some sort of aperitif of something, whereas these are full on cocktail size.

I do think you pegged the period correctly as they look very retro and I was thinking probably 50s or 60s.. I think this glass looks absolutely amazing.

[ Edited by: TeeKeeMan 2010-03-16 02:22 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies