Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The Hula Girls are finalists! In the Kearth 101 (UPDATED WITH NEW NEW PHOTOS)

Pages: 1 30 replies

That's right! We just found out that The Hula Girls are among nine other finalists that will be battling it out on Saturday for a slot in the KEarth 101 Big Kahuna's Luau Concert! The finals happen at Knott's Berry Farm's Calico Stage!

If we win that, we go on to play at Irvine Meadows with...get this... Earth, Wind, and Fire and Chicago. Yeah, that's some luau.. haha... The Rascals are also playing which is kinda the highlight to me... Who DOESN'T love their songs... "Good Lovin'" or "Groovin"... Good stuff.

Anyway, just wanted to announce it here. We're gonna try our damnedest to win this thing on Saturday.
Wish us luck, and aloha!

Spike
http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

[ Edited by: luckydesigns 2010-03-21 08:02 ]

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2010-03-28 09:05 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 16, 2010 4:36 PM

Yay!!! Good luck.

good luck guys, errrr Gals, uh Girls.
you know what I mean.

I had heard about this contest on K-earth.
please don't ask why I was listening to that station.
:-/

Jeff(btd)

please don't ask why I was listening to that station.
:-/

...because most of LA Radio Sucks?!?!

Right on HULA GIRLS!!!!

Take it to the top!

Update to the “Show Us Your Kahuna” contest:

Good things just keep happening for the Hula Girls. We have made it through hundreds of applicants to the finals of K-EARTH 101's "Show Us Your Kahuna" contest and will be competing against 11 other bands for the opening spot at K-EARTH's "Big Kahuna's Luau" at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater (will always be Irvine Meadows to me) on March 27th - featuring Earth Wind and Fire, Chicago, The Stylistics, The Rascals and others.

We will be performing ONE SONG at the Calico Stage some time between 1:00 and 4:00 and we can use your support. It will be a great weekend to be at Knott's. Come by the Calico stage to check the line-up and when we'll be performing. Get a churro, go to Camp Snoopy, it’s awesome.

Again, if we win this contest, we will be opening the Big Kahuna luau at Irvine Meadows! The stage is LITTERALLY bigger than my house...

ALSO.....

PLEASE leave a message on the Kearth 101 website about how you think The Hula Girls should be the winning band in the ‘Show us your Kahuna’ contest. We can use all the support you can give!
http://kearth101.radio.com/2010/03/16/show-us-your-kahuna-talent-competition/

Thanks SO much,

Spike

H

Go Hula Girls!

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Mar 18, 2010 1:38 PM

Let it rip Hula Girls!!

One song?!!?

Let go, let loose and win over whatever audience is standing around the Calico stage.

Sorry I can't make it to Knotts this Saturday but I'll see you guys at the Tonga Hut next weekend :)

It will be really cool if we win this one!

Heading out in a few minutes to Knott's. This will be one of the first gigs I have done with a tiki band that's right around the corner from my house...I am stoked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sYtk2EYsR4

TM

Well, we took an honest third place! The DJ, the K-earth staff, the knott's staff and most of the other bands all really liked us....(and were very curious about us) but I guess the two judges had other ideas! The act who won was an Alicia Keys/Lady Gaga type act...(who were very good and probably deserved to win...and/or get a record contract soon.....)

.....anyway, I did'nt go there thinking we would win, but just to have fun, go to Knott's for free and play on the Calico stage in front of a lot of people....in that sense; Mission Accomplished!

(We were the only Rockabilly Tiki act there, with all the other acts being rock/pop bands....talk about being out of your element! But it was really fun, and we got a lot of positive feedback from people!)

See ya Sunday at the Tonga Hut!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2010-03-20 19:59 ]

Awesome!

You HULA GIRLS are really turning it up

a notch

and go-in for all sorts of stuff.

Very good for the tiki scene!!!

Any pics or Video?

Here you all go... Good times at Knott's... Still feel like we should have won.....

The band on the Calico stage:

Kevin on the Log Ride:

See the rest of pics on our Facebook page. While you're there, become our 'fan'.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Hula-Girls/81807891157?v=photos&ref=nf#!/album.php?aid=157991&id=81807891157

Awesome!

Soooo Spread out!

play with everything you can.

Enjoy. You girls rock!

Bong needs a new haircut!

TM

This the band that won second, the Passports. We all liked their 60's beach boys/association/byrds/turtles sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx8u6JycNYE

TM

This is the band that took 1st....Alex Nester:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlVvRdJrRI4

Good Job Dudes! The Hula Girls Rock

Spike, Mick, Bong...congratz !!!!

Bring tiki to the masses ! How many more versions of Mustang Sally do we need to hear anyway ?

Awesome !

Thank you kind sir!

Actually, Mick, the passports didn't even place! We thought they were our main competition.... Nope... Anyway, second went to an all Asian rock band that showed up at the last minute. They were really good...and really commercial. Anyway, good times...

Thanks for the encouragement, Jim and everyone!

We just got word... Even though The Hula Girls got third this weekend in the KEarth 101 'show us your Kahuna' contest at Knott's, they still want us to play their festival at Irvine Meadows. So we're playing Irvine THIS Saturday!!

Fans of Chicago and Earth Wind and Fire, prepare to meet The Hula Girls.

H

Wow! Congrats!!!!

playing at the Porta Pottys in the parking lot isn't really the same though.
is it?

Just Razzin'
congrats.

Jeff(btd)

OMG!!! That's GREAT!!!! 8)

I

TM

On 2010-03-23 12:20, bigtikidude wrote:
playing at the Porta Pottys in the parking lot isn't really the same though.
is it?

Just Razzin'
congrats.

Jeff(btd)

Consider this: the band that won will get to play about 6 songs on the main stage. And that's an audience waiting for either EWF or Chicago. (we know how that well that worked out for Journey when they opened for Emerson, Lake and Palmer in '77-they were booed off the stage)so who knows how well it will go over?

......Meanwhile, WE get to play our whole set, to every single person walking into the venue through the main concourse. When you add those people heading out to drain the main vein or take a dump in the porta potties, you can add another 1000.....

If there are 10,000 people there, then 10,000 people will be walkin by us, (eventually).

Never underestimate your Goombahs, Jeff!

Lucas,
I know I was talking to Spike about this last night.
and I agree with you.

Hopefully they will let you sell cds and t-shirts.

Jeff(btd)

Jeff, I SAW you last night??
Hahahahhaa.... My chick had to tell me it was time to go last night after I was jabbering to you guys... After 7 or so mait tais, I decided it was time for a ZOMBIE. Needless to say, I didn't feel too swell today...

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 23, 2010 10:33 PM

Congrats Hula Girls on getting to play Irvine Meadows.

On 2010-03-23 22:25, Luckydesigns wrote:
Jeff, I SAW you last night??
Hahahahhaa.... My chick had to tell me it was time to go last night after I was jabbering to you guys... After 7 or so mait tais, I decided it was time for a ZOMBIE. Needless to say, I didn't feel too swell today...

7 Mai Tais and a Zombie?
ooooof!!

TM

Man, it was a BLAST! VIP parking right up front, VIP food and premium seats right in the middle by the mixing board! Earth Wind and Fire with Phillip Bailey at the helm were amazing! These guys have not rested on thier laurels...they sounded totally tight and very contemporary. Alex Nester, the gal who won the contest was really good! Chicago, not so much. I think they need Peter Cetera back, in my opinion.

Awesome guys you sounded great today at Tonga .I bootlegged a recording of you
guys today ...ha ha about six songs...they sound great!!

Great photos.

Pages: 1 30 replies