Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

new moai sculpt

Pages: 1 22 replies

P

couple of more things to do, but i thought i'd show off something i've done recently.

oh, there's a couple of rough spots i need to smooth and add some detail to the ears.

my eyes are tired for the night, though. :D

i think it may be the smallest moai i've ever done.

That's tiny.

T

That is really small
Cant wait to see him all finished up,
3:16

B

WOW Perry, that IS Minute, your eyes Should be tired after that exercise

P

thanks, yep, he's small. i'll post a pic later of the finished sculpt. hopefully i'll be able to start casting him this weekend.

i also would like some input on the ring portion of it. i'll post a pic of that, too.

P

couple more shots in the sun.

The Moai see, the Moai like!

Holy microscopes! teeeeeeni
I love the softness of it all, that's how I picture I'd make one...wouldn't come out like that though! Beauty.

P

thanks, surfin and atp.

this is how i'm thinking of putting the ring on top. i kind of wanted to incorporate it into the whole thing. i didn't want to just stick a ring on the top or put a hole through it. what do you people think?

T

I think the ring is to big ,and takes away from the awesome piece.

P

thanks, i'm going to mold it for injection with a tiny ring in the middle of the top. it has to make it hang right . . . balanced and straight.

i put this on the back. once it's cast and polished the tiny rough edges will be gone. and they are pretty tiny even if they look big in the macro shot. those types of shots help me see what i need to smooth. i may put some lava like texture on some wax pieces to see how that looks, too.

give of yourself. it's the most precious of all gifts.

[ Edited by: pdrake 2010-03-18 22:05 ]

P

so, this is what i did and it's put in for good. well, at least through the molding process.

much better.

P

thanks, tom.

here are some tutti frutti ones getting ready to get sprued and cast.

P

here they are all lined up after QC. only about half pass the test.

so cool keep up the good work

P

thanks marcus, i'll try.

P

here's a little teaser pic. the pic is very, very poor. at this point they're actually mirror finished. i need a new camera (and a jewelry photo box. :P).

the tiny loop on the top didn't work on any. i don't know if it's my lack of skill or the fact that it's not quite possible with my equipment. i'm going to ask my pro jeweler friend. i'll also have a hard mold made of this because it's so small.

there's just so many variables in casting metal and it probably helps to have some one to help you learn. oh, well.

P

little better pic . . .

T

Can you say cuff links!

P

good idea. i'll make earrings and cufflinks.

pdrake, these would make a Hella-Cool Moai Tie Bar!

P

thanks, atp.

got sterling cuff link findings and tie clip on the way!! these will go in the marketplace tomorrow or sat.

Pages: 1 22 replies