Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Canadian Tiki Bar?

Pages: 1 24 replies

Greetings all! I can't quite put my finger on why or how it happened but it did. I got bit by that Tiki bug when contemplating new patio furniture and commenting on how I couldn't find a bar set I liked. The Tiki God's must have been listening...

Here's the frame, built from pressure treated 2x4s

Notice not only the Inuit type statuettes (hey..it's still Canada) but their provider, the tiki muse Jenn complete in her stripper hat (she's not a stripper, but that's what we called it.)

Next we needed a test run of the bar height to ensure proper drinkage:

Thankfully it worked. That's me in the snake wrangler hat (I'm not a snake wrangler but that's what we called it.)

Next, I wanted a sturdy exterior. 1x12 rough cut pine boards:

Jenn found the tiki appliques for the patio doors. After putting the exterior on I believe this is where the 'portable' tiki bar just became a 'permanent' tiki bar.

Next the roof section, almost complete. There is another rafter to go on either end making the roof about 8 feet long when done. It attaches to the posts sticking up on either side of the bar...

Last night (I think it was last night...they're starting to run together...) I cut out and put on the bar top. No one said there would be any math involved in this!! But the tiki gods must be appeased so:

Here's the progress up to this point. I'm planning on doing a bamboo border around the top of the bar face. Going to try and get the roof done tonite. Any suggestions for the bar top surface? Tile? Matting?

[ Edited by: jcorrigan 2010-03-19 20:00 ]

A good start. Where are you located?

On 2010-03-19 19:00, Slacks Ferret wrote:
A good start. Where are you located?

I'm in Gananoque, ON. Oh man, LOVE that Doom Room of yours!

[ Edited by: jcorrigan 2010-03-19 19:59 ]

Ok so some MAJOR progress now. Artificial thatch roofing was out of my price range for this project so I settled on Cedar Shakes. I will post more pics tomorrow but with the help from a neighbor (twice) I got the roof moved out to the deck, attached, then the cedar shakes added. Crappy pic I know but it was dark by the time I got finished tonight:

Ever have one of those mornings after a night of carousing where you say "Oh my gosh..what have I done? What did I do???" That was sort of my reaction this morning finally seeing my creation in daylight!!

Then giggled uncontrollably, almost spilling my coffee!

Did a little shopping today to tikify...thought I'd share this little find:

And a few more...

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Mar 22, 2010 3:41 PM

Are you the smartest kid on earth???

On 2010-03-22 15:41, Zeta wrote:
Are you the smartest kid on earth???

Probably not...it's Joe, not Jimmy :wink:

On 2010-03-22 14:50, jcorrigan wrote:
And a few more...

personal tastes but that mobile has gotta go lol
I can say this because we are both north of the sunshine and it gets a little tuff to find the really tropical materials, but doing your own carving is cooler than Tucans er Tucants lol
The bar looks good and sturdy for some heavy Canadian drinking cant wait to see how this will look when yer done.

Thanks Tikiville! You're not kidding when you say it's tough to find tropical materials! Especially in March in Ontario!!

Hasn't been much progress due to March having a split personality when it comes to weather...from 15 degrees Celsius (59 F) to -7 (19 F) in 24 hrs....add in some rain, freezing rain, sleet and ice pellets welcome to Springtime In Canada!

I did manage some work though. I got the bamboo added around the bartop and of course couldn't resists adding some lights!

Then the inside of the bar got paneled in, but not before wiring it for power as well. I now have a simple plug in going to two outlets inside for blenders, stereos etc...

Please note..the skulls will be painted up later and put on bamboo sticks in the garden to ward off evil spirits, party poopers and ex-wives/husbands.

This tile will be for the bar-top which came all the way from Texas! Tiki muse Jen (whom I realized later is at fault for bringing up the tiki bar in the first place..it's all her fault) used to have this tile in her home...she loved it so much she brought three boxes to Canada when she moved. She knows it will go to a good home!

Finally...some way cool retro beach chairs which I won in an auction here locally...$45!!

The drumming just keeps getting louder and louder!! Brr...need to warm up a bit...

J

The weekend was BEAUTIFUL for the first of April so we decorated up the bar (even thought it's not done)....had a little practice run for the summer:

Then it was time for a sign - Tiki muse Jen was kind enough to make this once a name was decided on. Out of the mouths of babes (the neighbors boy), keep it simple...

Then time for the first customers. Looks like I still make a mean milkshake!!

AWESOME!!!

Here're some suggestions: ante up for some Palapa. You bought some Bamboo, you should go for some Mexican Rain Cape. Buy a couple rolls and you should have enough to keep yourself thatched for years since the Cedar Shakes'll really be keeping the rain out.

How about adding some images from the Tiki Trapper Tiki Bar? You should be able to find some of their Mugs & Matchbooks around Toronto, or you could just copy the images and paint them on the front of your bar.

Maybe cover those Bolts with some Manila wrapping? Buy some Manila rope & try putting a Macramé Wrap Knot around each support. That'll add a Nautical feel to your bar & cover the bolts as well.

And no more sugary drinks for this guy!

J

On 2010-04-04 22:04, freddiefreelance wrote:
Here're some suggestions: ante up for some Palapa. You bought some Bamboo, you should go for some Mexican Rain Cape. Buy a couple rolls and you should have enough to keep yourself thatched for years since the Cedar Shakes'll really be keeping the rain out.

Maybe cover those Bolts with some Manila wrapping? Buy some Manila rope & try putting a Macramé Wrap Knot around each support. That'll add a Nautical feel to your bar & cover the bolts as well.

Thanks Freddie! Yeah, I do like that Mexican Rain Cape. Maybe next year ... and the bolts are definately to be covered up.

Yes Unga..that boy is like that 24/7 - Jen's youngest boy. Most expressive kid I've ever met!

J

Not much of an update...but it's been fairly cold and damp this week so not much has gotten accomplished in the way of the bar. I did manage to do some tiling and grouting though:

Getting closer to the end I think though..should almost be onto the really fun stuff..decorating it up!

Oh, and here's a view from the ground...

As I come to the end of the project however, now I'm looking around the rest of my backyard and thinking maybe a tiki pond is in order?? Thoughts anyone?

[ Edited by: jcorrigan 2010-04-09 07:47 ]

The wood's still looking a little bare, have you thought about staining & sealing it?

I thought so too Freddy...so this week I covered the seams between the planks with bamboo and covered the posts with some manilla rope. I'll post some pics tonite. Weather has been cold and crappy!

Quick pic for everyone. Thanks for all the suggestions folks keep 'em coming! Can't wait to posts some pictures from the 'grand opening' as soon as it warms up enough!

Here a shot of the bamboo over the spaces in the panels, manilla rope around the posts to cover the bolts, and some glazing putty hardening around the sharp corners of the bar before being painted

Very nice addition to the bar. It's fun to see how much you can add to the overall look with little details like that.
Details and layers that compliment the overall look.
Something else you could do is add some contrasting wood tones to make those nice details 'pop' even more.
Aloha and have fun :)
John

On 2010-04-20 12:24, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:
Something else you could do is add some contrasting wood tones to make those nice details 'pop' even more.

Tell me more...what did you have in mind?

OH..and some more masks from Ebay on the way heheheheeee!!!

Probably to darken the siding planks on the bar with stain which would bring out the bamboo... You can get a LOT of ideas for how to juxtapose and contrast different colors and textures on this site and, if you don't yet have them, the Book of Tiki; Tiki Modern; and Tiki Style, all by Sven Kirsten. It's a good investment.

Glad for you that you found some stuff on ebay. The more you hunt, the more you'll find.

Enjoy!

On 2010-04-22 05:38, jcorrigan wrote:
OH..and some more masks from Ebay on the way heheheheeee!!!

Uh oh, he's been bitten by the bug! You've got a great base to work with. Now... ACCESSORIZE! And enjoy the patio season while you can - I'm not sure if it's as short in Eastern Ontario as it is out here!

Just letting everyone know (ok, I'm just gloating actually) my local dollar store just got in a shipment of bamboo about and inch and half or so in diameter and approx 6 feet long...$1 each!!

I bought two boxes (2 dozen altogether)

Now to build something with it: http://www.bamboocraft.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

anybody ever made barstools?

Pages: 1 24 replies