Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Yahoo Instant Messaging

Pages: 1 15 replies

Anybody else here use Yahoo Instant Messaging?

Just thought I'd throw this out since a few of us here use IM. SCD, Hula, Martiki, Melintur, etc...

My Yahoo IM User Name is PolynesianPop.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

C

I'm Cultjamarama on Yahoo.

R
Rain posted on Thu, May 1, 2003 1:41 PM

rain_s_717

PS guys, see the little button at the bottom of people's posts with the dark red Y! on it? That's a Yahoo Instant Messenger Button. If it's there, then that user entered in the Instant messaging info into their profile.

Just click on that and you can IM the person. (make sure you uncheck the "launch Java messnger" if you're running Yahoo Instant Messenger already).

~Hanford

I did for a little while but these days can't be arsed as it's like having an evil little gremlin jumping out at you when you least expect it. I'm not too keen on mobile (cell) phones either, for the precisely the same reason.

Trader Woody

T

I'm still trying to figure out if I have Yahoo Messenger, Windows Messenger or what. Seems potentially pesky, but...

I love my cellphone, but it does occasionally scare the hell out of me when I have it on vibrate.

I find that the vibration feature is the only thing that draws me to cell phones...

Trader Woody

You can set Yahoo Messenger to not make a noise, and to not pop windows up. Instead the window will appear minimized in your taskbar (windows) or your apple-equivelent-of-a-taskbar (apple). That can reduce the impact of out-of-the-blue messages.

And of course, you can always turn it off if you don't want to be bothered at all.

~Hanford

Tiki Central Name: SugarCaddyDaddy
AOL & AIM: SugarCaddyDaddy
Yahoo: SugarCaddyDaddy
MSN Messenger: SugarCaddyDaddy
1963-64 Cadillac Online Community: SugarCaddyDaddy
Email Address: SugarCaddyDaddy@aol.com

SugarCaddyDaddy

Yeah but SCD, you're NEVER signed on!

I downloaded the new BETA version of Yahoo IM 6.0 earlier in the week and tried out the "Conference" feature with SugarCaddyDaddy, WeirdUncleTiki and Cultjam yesterday. It worked pretty cool as all of us were able to converse within one dialog box. SCD also had his microphone on and we were able to hear his voice clearly through our computer speakers (with the exception of WeirdUnc's tech probs)!

Just thought I'd drop mention this since SCD and I talked about how its a good alternative to Tiki Shout being down right now.

Check it out if you are so inclined: Click Here

Right now the new version is for Windows users only.

T

The ever connected SCD!

TC: tikimug
Yahoo: tikimug
aol: tikimugs
msn: tikihead

I've been using Trillian it's great 1 program running for all the different IMs I'm on, except sometimes I forget to start the program

TW

I love Yahoo Messenger. I think it's the only messenger program you can remain invisible while still logged on. That's a great feature for while I'm at work.

H

I'd have to double check, but I think you can get the "invisible" functionality if you use my favorite messaging program, GAIM:

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/about.php

The coolest thing about GAIM (other than it's all Linux-y (but will run on Windows & Mac, too)) is that it will run all the protocols for you in the one program. It's swell! No conferencing, though.

I use yahoo messenger in different IDs for different interests. I'm always on the road so I have several yahoo IDs which I use rather than my server account. I'll start leaving "tikijackalope" on for a bit to see if anyone says hello; feel free to add me to your friends list.

[ Edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-05-11 04:22 ]

I use MSN messenger all day, it also has an "appear offline" function which is quite handy. I like it because it tells me when I have a new hotmail message, and lets me go straight to my in box without having to log in.

Pages: 1 15 replies