Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Sven's The SOUND of TIKI CD premiers at Viva Las Vegas

Pages: 1 22 replies

Finally, my smallest book ever has arrived. 52 pages of images and text complementing a collection of Exotica tunes that directly relate to Tiki culture, in title or concept. Take a look at it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxX-Sfu-I_0

The official release date is April 1st (no foolin'). There are several ways to get ahold of a copy:

8 Ball has been sent a limited number of this German import for an exclusive CD release at the Viva Las Vegas Weekender.
You can pre-order it for pick-up at the event here:

http://8ballwebstore.com/thesoundoftikicd.aspx

However, you may reserve a copy now to be shipped to you after April 7th. (Please note that your credit card will not be charged until your CD ships, but you will be guaranteed a copy by ordering now.)
My Tiki Archeology DVD is available at 8 Ball again, also.

Or you can order the CD directly from Bear Family Music in Germany:

http://www.bear-family.de/index.php?sid=b5d8cac22b51d247a32001276c93e2d4&cl=details&anid=07233b3191239cdfa4364d2d444b71dc&tpl=〈=1&listtype=search

Don't think there will be much of a time and price difference with shipping from Germany.
Sorry for the high price of an import, but why does it always end up that those crafty Germans produce my projects!? :D

I am very happy with the way it came out, it's a nice compact little package for enhanced Tiki-living, no crappy plastic jewel case, it opens and reads like a book. As someone wrote about it:

"Far from being a dry history lesson, this collection of rare eye candy imagery and wistful soundscapes will ad a further dimension to any Tiki Bar or backyard Luau. Sven Kirsten invites you to savor this musical cocktail of exotic moods with the appropriate rum beverage in hand, and hopes that, even if tropical environs do not surround you, splendid Tiki temples may rise again in your mind's eye!"

Those friends, artists and collectors that have lend me material and talent for the project will receive their thank you copies when I get back from working in Prague, the end of April. :)

Nicely done Sven. Can't wait to get my copy. And thank you.

T

Ordered my copy directly from Bear Family Records in Germany.... an online Euro converter indicated the price, including shipping to Florida, at just over 33 US dollars for today's exchange rate, pretty reasonable. Really looking forward to receiving it!

this looks fantastic, sven! bear family records always delivers a quality product. (as do you, bigbro!)

Wow! Totally awesome! way to go Sven! :)

Mahalo, everybody! I initially wanted to include a CD like this in the Book of Tiki, so this project has been ten years in the making, so to speak. But doing that would have meant less pages and art for the BOT, so no no no!

Ultimately I was glad the BOT came out just as a book, it might have been too much of a "party package" with a disc attached. But this compilation now is an ideal companion to my books.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-03-22 20:48 ]

Congrats Sven. Can't wait to check it out.

DC

Ordered my copy...Sven, will you be around at VLV signing these?

TT

Cool promo video, can't wait to get my copy of the CD!

On 2010-03-22 13:59, Jason Wickedly wrote:
Ordered my copy...Sven, will you be around at VLV signing these?

Sorry, no, I am on a shoot in Prague until the end of April:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35712&forum=16&start=last&2

P

i'll be there signing them in sven's name.

"DER SVEN!"

that's what they'll say.

heheh, sven, i'll be picking one up. you guys should have a table at the hooch and smooch to sell them.

RB

Ordered mine...woo-hoo!

FYI, if you're ordering through 8-Ball and are looking for the cheapest shipping option, make sure you click the USPS (Postal Service) button. Shopping cart automatically brings up UPS, which is more spendy.

V

Looks good ! I'm ordering it.
Too bad there's no LP version. I love the old LPs that goes with books, there were a few about the Hawaiian islands...

TT

Yes, I'm listening to it right now!
Fantastic package all around Sven, and great work by all involved. I really hope this does well so there will be more in the (near) future. Please don't hate me for being able to purchase this early, you'll all get your copies soon. It WILL be worth the wait!

H

On 2010-03-23 15:20, Tonga Tom wrote:
... Please don't hate me for being able to purchase this early, ...

:x

H

So Tonga Tom, is it true that at the very end you can hear a faint backward masked "I buried Jimmy Buffett" ?

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2010-03-23 16:31 ]

TT

And I thought I was hearing things.

Just got ours at 8ball today.
Excellent job cover to cover Sven!
Great attention to the details.
That Don Ho medley is something. :lol:
My favorite image is that Tyree booklet cover.
Stunning! Thanks for that.

Velvets by J. Sallin

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2010-03-25 22:49 ]

M

This is so cool, great music and superb presentation happy And it ships from Germany, yay! :D

Vielen Dank, Sven!

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Apr 4, 2010 9:26 AM

Flew to Las Vegas this weekend to get my copy! :wink:

Thanks for the shout out. One small quibble. It's actually Carling Dinkler who opened the Luau in Atlanta. Carling does look like a typo, but it is not...

Damn, next time I let you proof-read the stuff based on your research! Well, BOT and Tiki Mod ain't typo-free either. I hope I do not have to face the shame of some grand nephew haunting me for years now about misspelling his ancestor...like I did in the BOT!
:wink:

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Apr 4, 2010 6:04 PM

On 2010-04-04 12:53, bigbrotiki wrote:
Damn, next time I let you proof-read the stuff based on your research! Well, BOT and Tiki Mod ain't typo-free either. I hope I do not have to face the shame of some grand nephew haunting me for years now about misspelling his ancestor...like I did in the BOT!
:wink:

Oh, and I think he was Dinkler the III...

I'll cut you slack.

Now, I just got Jeff Berry's new book and I have found so many... interesting things! Tiki isn't perfect as Eli's grandson says...

Neither am I. And I appreciate to be corrected. Though some folks prefer to paint me as a conceited, self-aggrandizing s.o.b. for having an educated opinion on Tiki from having been there from day one. Can't help that. :)

I would love to hear more reactions on my CD, but let's continue with that in this thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34417&forum=11&start=105&114

Pages: 1 22 replies