Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Dixie Chicks

Pages: 1 18 replies

K

So who else has listened to the Dixie Chicks for the first time after they were dissed by all their idiotic closed-minded fans?
I'm not a country music fan at all (except for some Willie Nelson and Johnnie Cash) but I downloaded some of their music the other day and liked it enough to buy their latest CD today. And it's only because of their remark and refusal to retract it that I even gave 'em a listen.

R
Rain posted on Thu, May 1, 2003 6:58 PM

my girlfriend bought it for the same reason, but we can't stand the music.

oh well.

...suck sewage? Oh, sorry...I thought this was "finish the sentence".

K

It's not great, but it's good enough to buy out of principle. And if in a certain bourbon mood it is good.

So what is the principle? Certainly not freedom of speech. They excercised their freedom with no fear of prosecution. What is so idiotic about not being willing to spend hard earned money on teenaged performers that publicly spit on your core beliefs?

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-05-01 22:57 ]

K

I didn't say that their fans were any MORE closed-minded for not buying their music. They are principled social conservatives, and hence couldn't get any more closed-minded to start out with. It only makes sense that they would deprive themselves of something they enjoy to maintain fidelity to their higher calling (the opportunity to force other people to live a certain way through law).

I

Gee, I kind of miss the days when Punk music was the most controversial music around.

The Cramps are soon to tour through the southern states, and I haven't heard any peeps of protest yet - and their lyrics and the image that they portray should be way more upsetting to the social conservatives than anything from the mainstream country Dixie Chicks. Lux Interior and Poison Ivy must be pulling their hair out over the sheer injustice of it all.

I don't listen to modern country or modern pop, and I'm not even sure if I would even recognise a Dixie Chicks song if one was played for me. But I remember the hatred that was directed towards the early punk scene from the social conservatives, and the result is that I continue to have a strong tendency to support any other musicians who are also targeted by these people.

Do the Dixie Chicks have any controversial lyrics? or is this whole press-frenzy only over a few ad-libbed lines voiced on stage on some other continent?

22 more days until the Cramps come to D.C.

Vern

L

I didn't say that their fans were any MORE closed-minded for not buying their music. They are principled social conservatives, and hence couldn't get any more closed-minded to start out with. It only makes sense that they would deprive themselves of something they enjoy to maintain fidelity to their higher calling (the opportunity to force other people to live a certain way through law).

Boy, is that ever a generalization.

It's remarks like that that promote stereotypes, ethnic, gender or otherwise.

[ Edited by: Leilani on 2003-05-02 09:03 ]

I

Gee, I kind of miss the days when Punk music was the most controversial music around.

The Cramps are soon to tour through the southern states, and I haven't heard any peeps of protest yet - and their lyrics and the image that they portray should be way more upsetting to the social conservatives than anything from the mainstream country Dixie Chicks. Lux Interior and Poison Ivy must be pulling their hair out over the sheer injustice of it all.

I don't listen to modern country or modern pop, and I'm not even sure if I would even recognise a Dixie Chicks song if one was played for me. But I remember the hatred that was directed towards the early punk scene from the social conservatives, and the result is that I continue to have a strong tendency to support any other musicians who are also targeted by these people.

Do the Dixie Chicks have any controversial lyrics? or is this whole press-frenzy only over a few ad-libbed lines voiced on stage on some other continent?

22 more days until the Cramps come to D.C.

Vern

K

Boy, is that ever a generalization.

It's remarks like that that promote stereotypes, ethnic, gender or otherwise.

Leilani, there is nothing wrong with stereotypes, especially in politics. Remember political science class? Stereotyping - ie, statistical math, is the heart of political science.
The only things not generally appropriate in civil public discourse, the only thing out of bounds, is criticising aspects of people that they have no control over - such as their gender, race, and sexual orientation. Those things are out of bounds because even if there were some legitimate gripe about them (which there is no scientific evidence for) the criticism could do no good - it's just cruel, it's hate. On any day of the week you can choose a different religion (or no religion), a different political philosophy (or no politics) - these, and most every other thing uder the sun, are worth talking about, because they are totally modifiable aspects of ourselves. And most people would like to improve themselves.

Regarding the question about the Dixie Chick's music content - I think their fans were under the sincere belief that their music supports the conservative southern lifestyle, and it does sound like it. I think they believed the Dixie Chicks shared their religious politics (the central motivating force of southern Republican politics being distrust of the unknown) - and consequently felt betrayed, when people their money had made rich and sent off to L.A. actually liked L.A.

L

Leilani, there is nothing wrong with stereotypes, especially in politics.

OK, so the current debates over affirmative action are all about political positions, right? They've obviously got nothing to do with race....

Regarding the question about the Dixie Chick's music content - I think their fans were under the sincere belief that their music supports the conservative southern lifestyle, and it does sound like it.

I seem to recall you saying earlier that you never heard their music until now; perhaps you're not qualified to make that assumption? Why don't you go out & buy Fly & listen to "Goodbye Earl" or "Praise the Lord (& Pass the Ammuntion)" before you presume tp know their political or religious background?

I think they believed the Dixie Chicks shared their religious politics (the central motivating force of southern Republican politics being distrust of the unknown) - and consequently felt betrayed, when people their money had made rich and sent off to L.A. actually liked L.A.

I happen to have lived for a time in Natalie Maines' home town of Lubbock, TX. I doubt that you've ever been there, or you'd know that her father is a conservative politician & a musician that also happens to do his fair share of rock concerts. Now I won't assume to know what goes on behind closed doors at a rock concert, but I have a pretty good idea that they ain't drinkin' water & smokin' clove cigarettes. I can also safely guess that they aren't back there reading the Bible.

To me, as a conservative atheist, your assumptions of all conservatives & country music fans being the "religious right" reek of liberal bias. If you'd bother to get to know the people or the music, you'd know just how far off-base you are. But wait, you're a lib- you're already so much better than "those people" already, aren't you?

This post is starting to stink of the same political midden heap mud-slinging that got several other threads locked. I THOUGHT it was agreed this had no place on Tiki Central.

There's a time and a place for everything, and the favored party guest knows the when and the where.

M

I just wanna post here before Hanford closes this topic. My dream is for everyone to accept the beliefs, ideas, philosophies, suggestions, notions, political leanings, bad tastes in music, tics, spasms, uncontrolled drueling, and involuntary bodily "functions" of all.

If not, then....why don't we get drunk and screw?

Buffett rules! Wooo hooo...

Spend your liberal dollars, and conservative bucks here!

I might give them a listen if they changed their name to the Chixie Dicks.

Well, we can live in hope.

Trader Woody

Bless you, midnite, for always knowing just how to lighten the tension.

It's hard to maintain righteous indignation when you're giggling enough to do the peepee dance.

T

Tics and spasms!!! Count me in!!!

Howzabout conducting the political/social issues mudslinging in private, please? Since there's always someone who can't conduct these conversations civilly and starts throwing tedious, nasty, inflammatory cracks around, I for one don't want to put up with it.

Day comes we can debate such stuff with intelligence, structure and mutual respect, I'd love to talk about politics, religion, the whole damn thing.

In the meantime, here's a thought some of you can slam me about if you wish.

As Jello Biafra once asked, why don't people bring up something happy at parties, like sex?

Wait, Midnite just did! Thanks! That's REAL liberalism and social reform at work! 8)

Tikisexvixen

"And what do we talk about at parties, to get attention? Pleasure? Love? Nuh-uh...When is the last time you heard someone reminisce about the orgasm they had the other day? What kind of reaction do you think they'd get, anyway?"

On 2003-05-02 09:03, ikitnrev wrote:
The Cramps are soon to tour through the southern states, and I haven't heard any peeps of protest yet - and their lyrics and the image that they portray should be way more upsetting to the social conservatives than anything from the mainstream country Dixie Chicks.

I think The Cramps fly too low under the radar to raise anyone's ire.

When I was in film school, I took a marketing course in the business school as an elective and was shocked the first day of class to see that all the other students were wearing suits and I had my bright yellow Cramps Bad Music for Bad People t-shirt on. The looks I got walking down the hall of the business building were priceless. Ahh the joys of commodified rebellion!

Lux Interior and Poison Ivy must be pulling their hair out over the sheer injustice of it all.

I squirted vanilla coke slurpee through my nose when I read this. Bravo!

M

*When is the last time you heard someone reminisce about the orgasm they had the other day? *

Well, I for one have recently discovered that non-golfers do not understand the meaning of a quickly screamed "Fore!". Errr, at least not in some particular contexts. Should have gone with the traditional "Duck!".

Live and learn...live and learn.

One positive, I've seemed to have cured my slice!

19th Hole Gift Shop

Topic locked.

For all involved, please reread this thread:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3234&forum=6

~Hanford

Pages: 1 18 replies