Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Smuggler's Cove presents Domingo de Piña - March 28th @ 5PM

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

ALOHA!

Spring is here and the time for Exotic Cocktails is NOW! Smuggler’s Cove is pleased to announce…Domingo de Piña! On Sunday, March 28th starting at 5PM, we invite you to participate in a nearly forgotten tradition: vintage exotic cocktails served in fresh pineapples! We will offer a special menu of rare recipes featuring loads of fresh pineapple juice, exotic liqueurs, and premium rums, all served in your very own hollowed-out pineapple. Supplies will be limited, so come down early and enjoy this treat while supplies last!

Don’t miss it!

Smuggler’s Cove
650 Gough St. (at McAllister)
San Francisco

http://www.smugglerscovesf.com

M

I simply adore drinks served in Piñas. :)

With luck and a little (and by a "little" I mean a lot of) drinking, one can turn Domingo de Piña into Domingo de Pena!

M

Wow! Thanks everyone for the incredible turnout!

We will be doing it again soon, so stay tuned- and prepare for Domingo De Coco....coming soon.

Pix soon!

Mahalo!!!

M

that was super fun and the drinks were extra tasty! thanks Martin and gang :D

Great drinks and a great time Martin! Thanks to you and your crew for the extra work needed to prepare the piñas.
Concerning Domingo de Coco, make sure you count the staff fingers after preparation.

[ Edited by: Iniquitiki 2010-03-29 11:46 ]

M

Mas photos de pina!

T

Very cool.

How were these made?

It doesn't look like the tops of the pineapples were cut off. I see in the photos that a triangle section was removed from near the top of the pineapple. How much fruit was removed from the pineapple? Is there something I'm not seeing in the photos? It seems like some of the fruit would have to removed for the drink to be poured in, and it seems like that would be hard to do through a little triangle section.

Looks like everybody had a fantastic time.

Tiki-San:
Since we recently have been thinking about and have tried out something similar, I think I have an idea how they might be doing it. Usually people drinking out of hollowed-out pineapples wave them around like a mug. Here, however, everybody still holds on to the plates that their pinas sit on. Why? Perhaps because if they did not the glass will fall out through the bottom, from which point the pina was hollowed. The triangular hole is just for the straw and not to put the drink through, the drink already have been loaded and then the pina seated over it.
I hope that somebody has come up with the real answer. Everybody there knows it. Then we can try it at DTB. The conclusion that we've reached for ourselves is to purchase some ceramic pinas to drink Donn's Pi-Yi from (Of course we have his original formula, double checked against the bartender who originally prepared it. Unfortunately, the ceramic will never be as cool as a real pineapple, but you will know that that whole beautiful pina will not be wasted on your one drink, and that a part of your drink won;t be left soaked into the pina, or the whole thing slip out and hit the floor, etc.
You'll be seeing the new Pi-Yi mug soon, right after Donn's Coconut Mug and "Crazy Al's" new take on a charicature mug that looks more like Donn.
Mahalo,
Art Snyder, Owner
Don The Beachcomber, Surf City USA

CJ

On 2010-03-30 15:57, artsnyder wrote:
Tiki-San:
Since we recently have been thinking about and have tried out something similar, I think I have an idea how they might be doing it. Usually people drinking out of hollowed-out pineapples wave them around like a mug. Here, however, everybody still holds on to the plates that their pinas sit on. Why? Perhaps because if they did not the glass will fall out through the bottom, from which point the pina was hollowed. The triangular hole is just for the straw and not to put the drink through, the drink already have been loaded and then the pina seated over it.
I hope that somebody has come up with the real answer. Everybody there knows it. Then we can try it at DTB. The conclusion that we've reached for ourselves is to purchase some ceramic pinas to drink Donn's Pi-Yi from (Of course we have his original formula, double checked against the bartender who originally prepared it. Unfortunately, the ceramic will never be as cool as a real pineapple, but you will know that that whole beautiful pina will not be wasted on your one drink, and that a part of your drink won;t be left soaked into the pina, or the whole thing slip out and hit the floor, etc.
You'll be seeing the new Pi-Yi mug soon, right after Donn's Coconut Mug and "Crazy Al's" new take on a charicature mug that looks more like Donn.
Mahalo,
Art Snyder, Owner
Don The Beachcomber, Surf City USA

The recent Luau in Beverly Hills used real pineapples and they held up well.

T

On 2010-03-30 15:57, artsnyder wrote:
Usually people drinking out of hollowed-out pineapples wave them around like a mug. Here, however, everybody still holds on to the plates that their pinas sit on. Why? Perhaps because if they did not the glass will fall out through the bottom, from which point the pina was hollowed. The triangular hole is just for the straw and not to put the drink through, the drink already have been loaded and then the pina seated over it

Art,

Thanks for pointing out that all the pineapples are sitting in metal dishes. I missed that! I guess the bottoms of the pineapples were cut out and the fruit was removed. I see one woman in one of the photos has the top of her pineapple cut off.

Would somebody that was there please tell us what it was like?

By the way, you are doing a fantastic job with Don the Beachcomber. Keep up what you are doing with the Dagger Bar. I hope it is working for you cash flow wise and you are able to stay in business.

One of the photos clearly shows a pineapple with the lid removed.

So why the plates/bowls? For extra support? Pineapples are quite a bit softer than glass or ceramic. I'm guessing better safe than sorry. Plus they won't tip over as easily when they have a bowl to nest in.

The tops of the pineapples were removed and the pineapple hollowed from the top.
The umbrellas you see helped to pin the tops back on after the drinks were poured in.
A napkin was dropped in the bowl and then the pineapple placed on top of that. I believe
to help keep the pineapple from sliding around and possibly for in case of leak control.

And the special cocktails were quite delicious.

T

On 2010-03-31 08:47, Iniquitiki wrote:
The tops of the pineapples were removed and the pineapple hollowed from the top.
The umbrellas you see helped to pin the tops back on after the drinks were poured in.
A napkin was dropped in the bowl and then the pineapple placed on top of that. I believe
to help keep the pineapple from sliding around and possibly for in case of leak control.

And the special cocktails were quite delicious.

Very cool, thank you for clearing that up.

Pages: 1 13 replies