Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Tiki Team - 2010 Walk MS

Pages: 1 0 replies

I don’t usually ask people for a contribution, however, the fight against Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is something that I feel strongly about. Many people know that my wife has been afflicted with MS for almost 20 years. This is a hugely debilitating disease that affects more than 400,000 people in the US and approximately 2.1 million people worldwide.

Most people with MS are diagnosed between the ages of 20 and 50, with more than twice as many women as men being diagnosed with the disease. MS interrupts that flow of information from the brain to the body and stops people from moving. It is an unpredictable and usually disabling disease of the central nervous system. Symptoms range from numbness and tingling to blindness and paralysis. The progress and severity of symptoms in any one person cannot be predicted. Over the past decade, many great strides have been made in treatment and slowing the progression of the disease. But a cure still eludes us.

Our family has been blessed by her strength and her determination to fight against this disease. She has been volunteering for years to visit and encourage others whom are confined to a bed or wheelchair by MS. She has also taken up Mixed Martial Arts to combat the diseases attacks on her strength, balance, and coordination. As a result, she still is mobile and active. In 2008, she was named the ‘Most Inspirational Walker’ for that year’s Walk MS. We have been participating as a family with our ‘Tiki Team’ in the Walk MS for over 10 years without a break. Last year, Eckert & Ziegler agreed to sponsor our team and with their assistance we raised almost $10,000 and were the No. 4 Team in Southern California and the No. 1 Team in the Conejo Valley.

This year we are reaching out to even more people to ask them to either join us in Westlake Village on April 24th, 2010 at this year’s Walk MS or to contribute to the National MS Society. Eckert & Ziegler is again sponsoring the ‘Tiki Team’ and will be providing T-Shirts (above) as well as a contribution.

We would love to be able to greatly exceed our 2009 donation level and look forward to you supporting us. You can join our team or contribute at our team center at http://www.tikiteammswalk.com . Contact me with any questions.

Thanks in advance for your support and helping us fight this horrible disease.

Cheers
NautiTiki

PS: I think she is a pretty great artist too!

Pages: 1 0 replies