Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Just getting into carving.

Pages: 1 32 replies

Hello, I was pointed to tiki central from my tattoo artist who also does tiki carving. I am amazed by some of the work on here and am happy to be a member. Seeing all the different styles and techniques motivates me to improve. I have just recently begun tiki carving and really enjoy it. I am such a fan of the style that I just went to New Zealand to see it done first hand at a carving school in Rotorua. On my trip I also found a bone and jade carving studio in Hokatika. It was called Bonz and Stonz. Steven the owner was great and I carved my first piece of greenstone. Anyways I am going to post one of my latest tikis that I carved out of cypress and let me know what you think. I am a mural artist and faux finisher by profession and try and do the carving when I have time.Thanks

[ Edited by: tatumantiki 2010-03-23 12:21 ]

Welcome to TC! Glad to have a new member. Your tiki looks great for a new carver. You got some talent. Keep'um coming.

I think you've done this before! Great way to introduce yourself. Can't wait to see more of your work. A trip to NZ is on my List of Things To Do When I Win the Lotto.

T

Vary nice And wlcome
there is nothing but inspiration here!
Cant wait to see more!

Thanks for the complements. I will try to get some more done soon.

welcome to tc!!! very sweet tiki and unique style!!! luv it lets see sum more!!!!! cheerz!!

S

Welcome! I thinks he looks great! Nice work.

Welcome, welcome. That is a beauty, for a first tiki. It's all upwards here on out for you my friend. Got a pic of your carving from NZ?

L

Great work for your first! Welcome on TC!

J.

Thanks again everyone. This isn't my first tiki but the first one I actually put some time into. I will try and get a pic of my jade pendant up soon.

B

Nice stuff Jesse, Excellent start and by the looks of the dime tip on your chainsaw you have gotten off to a great start. You are SO Fortunate to have visited New Zealand, (I'm envious of that :P )and I'm looking forward to seeing some of that influence in your upcoming works. In fact you are about to the stage where you will be able to carve the traditional tikis. search Google for photos of the old style or find the "Tiki Carvers Bible", 'The Book Of Tiki' by our own Sven Kirsten (bigbrotiki here). There you will find excellent tiki images to inspire and motivate!
Welcome to Tiki Central, Glad to have you.

A
amate posted on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 9:02 AM

Looks like a lot of effort went into that finish. Beautiful results!

Here are some of the Maori carvers working at the carving school in Rotorua. Also some finished carvings.

pg[/img]

Here are my first two palm carving. I see why so many people use the palm it cuts like butter. Sometimes the fiber is a pain though. I did one in a fun colorful style and the other in a more traditional look. Thanks for looking! Loving life since I started doing these guys! Except for the back pain that flares up once in awhile!

S

nice work!

Post lots of photos. I'd like to see more from your vacation to New Zealand. I have my first palm log to carve this summer. Did you sand yours and seal it with varnish? Wendy

B

More Excellent stuff Tatuman, I can see how your Faux finish background will be a Big influence in your carvings as you already know the value of a finely prepared surface Before you start the final finishing process. I'll be looking for some Excellent pieces from you in the near future, meanwhile wheres the Jade?? Can't wait to see it.

Thanks again for the complements. I will post some new stuff as soon as I can. I just got married and have been busy.

B

fab tikis dude! really great work :).. and congratulations, all the best! :D

Heres a couple simple carvings for clients. One is an actual dead coconut palm that a client wanted "aloha" carved in it. My first experience with a stump. The carving was a little tough since the tree had alot of moisture in it. I had to clean out my saw constantly. I coated it with urethane and put a ton on the top so water wouldn't penetrate
and rot it out quick. I told the client I had no idea how long it would last. They didn't seem to mind. Anyways it was a cool experience. Later

[ Edited by: tatumantiki 2010-08-08 18:43 ]

I did each of these the aloha and this one in about 5 hrs. a piece. Quick jobs. Otherwise I could have spent days on them.

[ Edited by: tatumantiki 2010-08-08 18:48 ]

[ Edited by: tatumantiki 2010-08-08 18:49 ]

I like your work but something else caught my eye. Your tattoo is awesome. I want to get one similar but I want it done in the traditional polynesian way, tapped in with the bone comb.

Thanks Irishcarver. I love the polynesian tattoos. The one on my chest and some of the stuff on my arm was done by a man named Samoan Mike. He is an unbelievable tattooist. I had it done with a tattoo gun though. I will eventually get one done the traditional way that you are speaking of also. I plan on hopefully going to the South Pacific in the next year or so. Thanks Tatuman

I like the stump, but here are some issues that my occur. First is that the stump was probably still alive and pumping water. It won't be the outside that rots but the inside - I would give it a year or two. It a common misunderstanding that when the top of a Palm dies the entire tree is dead. Sometimes the rootball continues to work even though the top is dead. Second is that you clear coated the outside. This will enhance the first problem by trapping water inside the log. It may also develop mold under the clear coat. Nice carves - keep them comin.

P

Dude! Kick ass!

Where in FL are you anyway?

The Florida TIKI ARMY is growing!!!

thanks for the info and compliments. I told the client it would probably only last a yr or 2 tops. I figured if I sealed the top good it would keep water from rotting the inside quicker. They already chopped the top of tree off a month earlier. Oh well it was fun and hopefully they enjoy it for awhile.

N

Nice work

Nice work! Florida is building some Tiki inventory for sure.

This is a 12 ft. tiki that I did for a client. He found the design online and I added a body to it. I did this in 4 hrs. start to finish. Pretty basic design. It was still fun to do and the clients were amazed at how quickly it was done.

P

that's a big-un!

Pages: 1 32 replies