Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Paradise Bowl 1960's ....in El Segundo California anyone?

Pages: 1 5 replies

My father used to be part owner of Paradise Bowl in El Segundo, L.A., in the early sixties? Does anyone have any info about this place? I was just a little kid, & maybe it's only my warped Tiki imagination, but I seem to remember A-frame architecture & Tiki style signs.

Sounds very intriguing. With a name like Paradise Bowl, I bet your memories are right - sounds tiki to me.

I found very little info in the newspaper archives or via google. There was a bowling alley called "Imperial Bowl" in El Segundo and Paradise Bowl always seems to be listed as "Near LAX" or "Near the Los Angeles International Airport", so it may not show up with an El Segundo address in vintage sources.

There was a fire at the Paradise Bowl on Dec 19 or 20, in 1965 that took 4 hours to put out and did quite a bit of damage.

I think that you found it. The Paradise movie theater was a few blocks away in Westchester. In fact, I got to shake President Kennedy's hand outside of the theater as his entourage drove down Sepulveda Blvd. on his way north from the L.A. airport.
Paradise Bowl may have later become Imperial Bowl or visa versa.

M

The Rose Bowl was in El Segundo and burned in 1965, the Paradise was a movie theatre in Westchester.

B

The Paradise Bowl was right next to the Paradise Theater on So Sepulveda and it was in the Westchester district of LA, not El Segundo - the building is still there today and is called Paradise Building. There was no A-frame bowling alley. It was a long building sort of nondescript on the outside. There was a bar inside the bowling alley that was a mix of Tiki and iron gates that reminded me of Spanish gallon type decor that was common in the 50s-early 60s. As I recall it was more Spanish Gallon then Tiki. Here's just a slip of a photo of the Paradise Theater that shows Paradise Bowling right next to it. The photo is from early 50s right when the Theater was due to open.

B

There's a tiny bit of the doorway into the bar in Paradise Bowl and a lot of Paradise Bowl interior you can see in the movie The Courtship of Eddie's Father with Glenn Ford, Stella Stevens and Shirley Jones(1963) - they used the bowling alley there for the bowl sequences with Glenn Ford and Stella Stevens.

Pages: 1 5 replies