Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

* I need some advise *

Pages: 1 11 replies

P

So, I've only been making tikis now for like, 9 months. They've improved vastly since I started, but now I'm in a position where I need to turn this into a small business.

Why?

Because fox 13 news came out here the other day and did this big story on me that supposed to air in the next few weeks. AND, the homeowners association in the historic neighborhood where I live (and carve tikis in the front yard) wants to do a story about me for the cover of their next newsletter. So, bottom line is that I'm about to get a ridiculous amount of unsolicited, free advertising.

This is totally weird, and is happening really fast.

So, to all you guys out there actually doing this for a living, please help me with some advise on what I should be thinking about.

What big mistakes have you made?

Hard lessons learned?

How do I keep from getting ripped off?

Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.

Many mahalos to all!

I don't think any carvers here make a living off carving, it's more of a fun hobby that makes you some extra money. :wink:

My advice: keep some finished product on hand, always take 50% down payment on orders, be ready to carve what people want vs what you like, don't take yourself too seriously, don't depend on a certain amount of money coming from sales, it fluctuates.

TZ

You might want to make sure your homeowners' association will be as enthusiastic about carving in the front yard when it goes from hobby to business.

Keep your day job! Be sure to emphasize that you accept commissions in all of your interviews and make it as simple as possible for people to find you on the web. Good Luck.

PS. If you do figure out how to make it a prosperous full-time job - please let me know how.

P

Hey guys, thanks for chiming in. All very good advise. I definitely want to stay grounded and not get ahead of myself.

I wasn't really thinking that this will be a full time job or anything, but hey, if I can make a little cash off of doing what I enjoy, that would be really cool.

I will keep you guys posted, and I'll post a link to my news story.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 26, 2010 11:44 AM

'Advice' is a noun, and 'advise' is a verb. You were looking for ADVICE.

Don't take spelling lessons from Kirby. (And that GROG' advice.)

P

Duh.

I'm running around like a crazy person over here trying to salvage one company while trying create another.

Pardon my temporary lapse in spelling & proper usage.

S

That down payment thing is a biggy. First, it keeps you from making something they don't actually buy and you get screwed, second, it turns a tire kicker into a real sale. Much of any business is capitalizing on the opportunity. The person who says yes and hands you cash today, may say yes today and not give you cash and then say no in a couple of weeks when you approach them again.

Get the sale while the client is hot! And if you get backed up, just let them know your situation so they don't get too impatient waiting.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 26, 2010 2:37 PM

On 2010-03-26 12:02, pjc5150 wrote:
Pardon my temporary lapse in spelling & proper usage.

No worries, it's only a small infraction. As long as you don't write ect. instead of etc.! Ect. is short for Electroconvulsive Therapy, whereas etc. is short for et cetera.

Good luck with the businesses and the carving.

T

Grog your to f'n funny !!!!!!

Just make them to sell rather than excepting a list of people. I learned that.....

P

Not sure what you mean drastic.

Please elaborate?

Pages: 1 11 replies