Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

coming soon to tampa, fl.

Pages: 1 12 replies

TK

i saw a sign on the original site of the HV, and then found the website. i hope it is going to be like the original and be tikified. only time will tell.

My interest has piqued! We Tampa Tikiphiles must investigate further.

TK

fo sho

Logo sure looks phresh. Don't tell me Days Inn will be getting a Hula Bay Club type scene.

Green Iguana does Hawaiian Village, really? Just a very bad April Fool's joke, has to be.
http://www.greeniguana.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tampa-FL/Hawaiian-Village/262805978657?v=wall&ref=ts

TT

That would be a great location for those of us who don't like to cross the bay except for Rays games! Seriously, it would be such a great idea IF it is a throwback to the old Hawaiian Village and not just someone who decided the new thatch on the Green Iguana looks cute.

BTW, speaking of new bars...the 1944 Mai Tai at that other new bar in Sarasota is GREAT! I went down there last week (to that other new bar in Sarasota) and had a great lunch, even though it was raining like crazy! I'm sure you all know what I am talking about, but I'm afraid to say it for fear old wounds will reopen. So just let me say that other new bar in Sarasota will definately be visited again - and hopefully often.

On the other hand, if we get a really good tiki bar here in Tampa...well one can only hope.

TamTiki

TT

I just looked on the Facebook page, and now I'm worried. A "live music venue" in Tampa doesn't sound like they will be playing old Martin Denny or Les Baxter albums much.

Has anyone seen any news about this other than the logo and Facebook page?

TT

S

I wouldn't hold my breath!! Maybe cross my fingers!

I'm sorry to say but the Green Iguana website is not playing much Exotica or even a Tiny Bubbles, just a bunch of 93.3 bubblegum pop. To get a barometer on the place, just check to see if any bamboo is still available on Tampa's Craigslist.

TK

green iggie is not tiki and neither is hula bay. i am just hoping the new HV is tiki. only time will tell, but i hope they don't go for the hula bay crowd. what a buncha narcissuses.

TT

I went back and looked at the GI's facebook page, and although they do have HV listed with their other links I found one telling bit of information. The address for the newest Green Iguana is the same as the supposed address for Hawaiian Village. So unless they are going to redo everything in a restaurant that just recently opened (which I doubt) it seems this was all a bad joke.

Tam Tiki

L

How do i hate the Green Iguana...let me count the ways........

oh wait is that off topic???

:)

TT

UPDATE: I've been occasionally checking The Green Iquana's website to see if there has been any progress or reports on the "new" Hawaiian Village in Tampa. As of 5/16, the Facebook page for HV states the first of two phases is opening in July. They are asking folks to post pictures and memories of the old HV (which quite a few have) so there is hope. I would ask that those of you who grew up or now live in Tampa get on the HV Facebook page and encourage the owners to be faithful to the spirit of the original Hawaiian Village. Otherwise I am afraid it will just end up being another Green Iquana with different decor.

The Facebook website is: http://www.facebook.com/hawaiianvillagetampa.

Thanks!

TT

Pages: 1 12 replies