Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Chases on the Beach, New Smyrna Beach, FL (restaurant)

Pages: 1 4 replies

Name:Chases on the Beach
Type:restaurant
Street:3401 S. Atlantic Avenue
City:New Smyrna Beach
State:FL
Zip:32169
Phone:386-423-8787

Description:
"A New Smyrna Landmark." Oceanfront Dining; Excellent Menu; Live entertainment Friday through Sunday (weather permitting); Reggae Sunday Brunch from 10 am-3 pm with our New Bloody Mary Bar where you can spice up your own cocktail & hear live music by Caribbean Posse'; Late night Happy Hour Monday through Thursday 9 p.m. to close; Catering to accommodate large or small groups; Five custom built tiki huts with tables made of cypress and thatched roofs (www.palmhuts.com); Senior discounts 4-6.m.
Check out the updated information on the Calendar of Events!

[ Edited by: smccauley1 2010-03-30 11:06 ]

[ Edited by: smccauley1 2010-03-30 11:07 ]

where are the tikis?

I gotta agree with BTD - Nice, well-made huts: Not Tiki.

Yeah, yeah, I know that some Palapa structures are now called Tiki Huts, but that's an unfortunate watering down of what "Tiki Hut" used to mean and should mean:

:down: Vintage Tiki Hut:

:down: Modern Tiki Hut:

:down: Palapa "Tiki" Hut:

If you can show me the actual carved tikis or how the restaurant is related to Classic or Modern Polynesian Pop, then it can stay in Locating Tiki. Otherwise it needs to be moved to Beyond Tiki.

For instance, a Chinese restaurant that still serves Polynesian cocktails in Tiki Mugs is peripherally related enough to classic Poly-Pop that it has a place in Locating Tiki.

From the Tiki Central definition page:
http://www.tikicentral.com/about.php

*"Everyone here at Tiki Central is passionate about the Polynesian Pop movement. While the exact edges are blurry, we can give you a bit of insight into what Tiki Central is not about:

It’s not about the Caribbean/Key west design aesthetic
It’s not about Reggae..."*

Don't get me wrong. I like Reggae and I like Palapa huts. But I don't want them called Tiki. And if Locating Tiki gets cluttered up with non-Polynesian-Pop locations, then it makes it hard to find the real ones when doing searches.

Thanks,

Sabu

I've been there, and it's just like every other beachside/waterfront restaurant in Florida. Nice enough, I guess, but hardly tiki.

Extra ditto what Sabu said.

Pages: 1 4 replies