Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Bringing Back the Kahiki for One Night in Columbus, OH!

Pages: 1 19 replies

B

http://www.thehillsmarket.com/inside_the_hills_market/2010/04/kahiki-day-at-the-hills-market.html

The Hills Market in Columbus is hosting a tiki dinner in memorial of the famed Kahiki Supper Club (which was senselessly demolished for a Walgreens ten years ago). The event will be on Saturday May 1st, and will have Polynesian food, tiki drinks from the Kahiki bar menu, and live ukulele music from Francis Llacuna (who played at the Kahiki-inspired Tropical Bistro in Hilliard).

This event was put together with input from folks associated with the Kahiki and the Grass Shack (the tiki bar that previously existed on the site of the Kahiki), so it should be a good time!

H

So is the "Kahiki" food that's being served from a grocery store freezer? Or is it going to be made from scratch using the original Kahiki restaurant recipes?

B

Hakalugi:

The "A Taste of Kahiki" portion in the afternoon will consist of demos of the current line of Kahiki products (the frozen stuff).

Regarding the dinner in the evening, the appetizers will consist of the frozen Kahiki foods.

The dinner entree, however, will consist of fresh chicken and seafood dishes inspired by the Kahiki's original menu, cooked on site. Kahiki rice and perhaps a Polynesian fruit dish (also fresh and made on-site) will round out the rest of the meal. And, of course, the Jeni's Ice Cream dessert will be fresh.

K

On 2010-04-01 10:58, bdleland wrote:
Hakalugi:

The "A Taste of Kahiki" portion in the afternoon will consist of demos of the current line of Kahiki products (the frozen stuff).

Regarding the dinner in the evening, the appetizers will consist of the frozen Kahiki foods.

The dinner entree, however, will consist of fresh chicken and seafood dishes inspired by the Kahiki's original menu, cooked on site. Kahiki rice and perhaps a Polynesian fruit dish (also fresh and made on-site) will round out the rest of the meal. And, of course, the Jeni's Ice Cream dessert will be fresh.

Thank you for posting this. I just made my reservations! Won't be eating any of their frozen food crap though...I'm doing this for the entree and the mug!

[ Edited by: Kahtiki 2010-04-07 17:13 ]

B

Sounds good. I am not putting this together, I am just promoting it as a fan. I think the arrangement is that the Kahiki company provides branding rights, the recipes, and decorative input, in exchange for an opportunity to market their current products.

Maybe if we stick to the fresh stuff and the drinks, we'll send the message to them: "Hey! Ditch this stuff and re-open a restaurant!"

tropical bistro, perhaps? ;D

B

Tropical Bistro closed a year or two ago, and it was never run by the folks over at the Kahiki corp. I believe it was managed by a few of the Kahiki's former cooks.

T

This will be a fun night.
Francis Llacuna Is worth it by himself! He is a great guy
and tons of fun.
I would go to the city dump with no food or drinks to hear him play.
Am going to help guide the party decorators and help with some of my decor.
Will also have some of my/ Kahiki lights there lit, hanging.
I sent them the teaser for the DVD of tiki to give them an idea.
Some of my lights will be for sale after the event. ( can't take em down mid party)
Plus I may have a trunk full as well.
If you see me there stop by and say hi.
Would love to meet all.

On 2010-04-10 05:01, tikiskip wrote:
This will be a fun night.
Francis Llacuna Is worth it by himself! He is a great guy
and tons of fun.
I would go to the city dump with no food or drinks to hear him play.
Am going to help guide the party decorators and help with some of my decor.
Will also have some of my/ Kahiki lights there lit, hanging.
I sent them the teaser for the DVD of tiki to give them an idea.
Some of my lights will be for sale after the event. ( can't take em down mid party)
Plus I may have a trunk full as well.
If you see me there stop by and say hi.
Would love to meet all.

skip, the organizer needs a gong. Do you have one they can use?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

D
Dan posted on Wed, Apr 14, 2010 9:42 AM

The misses and I will be heading up for this event, does anybody know the drinks they will be serving?

T

I do not know the drinks they will serve.
But tell me what you would like and I will bring you one.
Would like to meet you and the misses Dan.
Stop and say hey.

And Jeff I have no gong, That's why I can't get it on. (I love T- Rex)
But I told them the Kahiki should have at least two.
Maybe we could just bang a trash can lid!
Like polyensia goes getto.

Plus this just in, I'm almost done with the two Kon Tiki restaurant lights Tiki david gave me.
Going to bring them to hang.
They are HUGE!!!
Am hoping to get some more Kahiki lights fixed to hang as well.

D
Dan posted on Sat, Apr 17, 2010 10:37 AM

No particular drink in mind, we never attended the Kahiki; but were Tropical Bistro fans and were curious if any of our favorites from there might reappear. We always like to meet fellow tikiphiles, there are few here in KY.

T

Am trying to find out the drinks.
Heck, I bet they don't know yet.

Apparently the Mystery Drink mugs (cups? bowls?) have come in!

[ Edited by: bdleland 2010-04-26 12:01 ]

B

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2010/04/27/kahiki-revisited.html?sid=101

Newspaper article on the event, including information on the drinks being offered.

D
Dan posted on Wed, Apr 28, 2010 8:36 PM

Thank you for the information on the dinner. I look forward to an enjoyable evening.

T

Ok so I just sent out some decor for this event.
I have been told it is sold out.
It went from being a 35 to 40 people event to 320!!!
Mr Sapp and Sondro Conti will be there too.
Going to be fun!!!

T

Just talked to my good friend Bruce Nutt and he may come to the
event with us.
Mr. Nutt was the man who started Crazy Mamas punk bar here on the
OSU campus.
There needs to be a Crazy Mamas party some day!

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2010-04-30 15:56 ]

This was a kinda cool event.
More of a big "hey Kahiki makes egg roll thing"
than pure tiki.
But still not bad.
Met Kay oliver she was a bartender in the 80s.
I remember Skip and Jim said that she was the only person at that time that
could make the navy grog mix. She even can back and made it for them after she
no longer worked there. (Pic #1)
This is Kays daughter Wendy she was a mystery drink girl for some time. (pic #2)

Good times!!! :D

Pages: 1 19 replies