Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Smuggler's Cove Presents: Jeff "Beachbum" Berry LIVE at The Cove April 24-25

Pages: 1 16 replies

M

Aloha!

Smuggler’s Cove in association with Zaya Rum is very proud to present the one and only Jeff “Beachbum” Berry LIVE at Smuggler’s Cove April 24th and 25th for a presentation of his famous seminar “Who’s Your Daddy: A Mai Tai Paternity Test.”

We will also be selling copies of Jeff’s books, including the brand new “Beachbum Berry Remixed.” Jeff will be available to sign your copy after the presentation.

Don’t miss Jeff’s only Northern California appearance in 2010!!!

Jeff will be presenting the seminar three times in an intimate setting with very limited seating: April 24th at 1PM and 3PM and April 25th at 3PM. Tickets are $29 and go on sale at 10AM on April 5th at: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/106560 (2 tickets per person limit)

Who’s Your Daddy: A Mai Tai Paternity Test
The Mai Tai War has raged for over half a century, and it ain't over yet. Bandleader Harry Owens claimed he introduced the Mai Tai to the world in 1954. Trader Vic claimed he invented the Mai Tai in 1944. And Don The Beachcomber said he invented the Mai Tai way back in 1932. At the risk of getting fragged in the crossfire, author Jeff "Beachbum" Berry will examine the evidence, and shake up samples of different Mai Tai recipes. The talk is fully illustrated with rare vintage slide-show images -- and of course, cocktails will be served....

About Jeff Berry:
Jeff “Beachbum” Berry is the author of five books on vintage Tiki drinks and cuisine -- Grog Log, Intoxica!, Taboo Table, and Sippin' Safari -- which Los Angeles magazine called “the keys to the tropical kingdom,” and his newest, Beachbum Berry Remixed. He has been profiled in the New York Times, Imbibe magazine, Salon.com, the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Saveur.com, Bar magazine, and the Tampa Tribune; he’s also been featured in the Washington Post and W magazine. Jeff created the cocktail menu for the Luau in Beverly Hills, which the New York Times cited as one of the nation’s 24 “Bars on The Cutting Edge,” and co-created “Tiki+” for iPhone, a drink recipe app which Macworld magazine called “beautifully rendered and, thanks to Berry’s tireless reporting, impeccably sourced.” Jeff’s original cocktail recipes have been printed in publications around the world, most recently the 67th edition of the Mr. Boston Official Bartenders Guide; his drinks have been served at Smuggler’s Cove in San Francisco, Elletaria in Manhattan, the Tabou Tiki Room in Berlin, Taboo Cove in Las Vegas, the Tiki Room in Stockholm, Pho Republique in Boston, the Palace Cafe in New Orleans, and Intoxica in Copenhagen, among others. Jeff has appeared on Martha Stewart Living Radio and Radio Margaritaville, and has conducted tropical drink seminars and tastings across the U.S. and Europe. He serves on the advisory board of the Museum Of The American Cocktail.

I am so there... That is if I can get the tickets.

M

Tickets on sale TODAY at 10AM!

I will be there for Sunday's seminar!

Coworker is having a wedding Saturday in Santa Cruz. Asked if I'd be going (drive up from LA? Ugh.). Got the message about this seminar that same morning. "Yes, probably." Just got my ticket. Adjusted my RSVP to "Yes, yes I will."

Lucky this seminar is going on so I have a reason to drive up for his wedding. :wink:

lucky,
well half lucky anyways,
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

BOO YAAAAA!

I GOT THE TICKETS AND AM DOING MY HAPPY DANCE !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W3ZXQqJWH8

Eric

[ Edited by: Savage Tiki 2010-04-05 12:13 ]

H

Trott & I have tickets for Saturday at 3pm.

TWO

Saturday at 3:00.
Thankfully, I have friends with fast internet connections and faster reflexes.

M

On 2010-04-05 16:16, Tai Won On wrote:
Saturday at 3:00.
Thankfully, I have friends with fast internet connections and faster reflexes.

yes, I'm feeling thankful too. see you all saturday @ 3pm :D

[ Edited by: monet2u 2010-04-05 17:48 ]

[ Edited by: monet2u 2010-04-05 18:02 ]

M

Got about four seats left for 1pm on the 24th and that's it!

[ Edited by: martiki 2010-04-08 10:31 ]

I saw Jeff's presentation at Hukilau last year. It's fabulous. Lot of yummy drinks and funny stories. Enjoy all! It'll be a treat.

I have an extra ticket for the Saturday 24th @ 3:PM presentation. It's for sale for the low low price of what I paid. $29.00

Eric

[ Edited by: Savage Tiki 2010-04-19 19:20 ]

MT

Aloha! Hey, I didn't buy a ticket to this event, because I thought I'd still be out of town. Well, now I'm back in town. I thought that I had secured a ticket while I was away, but that just fell through! Does anyone have an extra ticket for this weekend? Preferrably tomorrow (Saturday), but any time slot will do. Can someone help a Brotha out? Any help would be much appreciated!

M

very fun event! well done Martin and staff! Thanks to Jeff "Beachbum" Berry for a great presentation!

Had a blast and got to meet the beachbum. Pictured below. Also pictured is the huge bowl drink that Martin made. It took a whole bottle of rum and as you can see is quite explosive.

One question that I had for Jeff Barry was if trader Vic had a perfect pallet have you considered mixing just the rums that he had in his recipes to approximate rums that aren't in existence any more? His answer was that's the next thing I'm going to try. Now I'm such a newbie to all this tiki stuff and I'm thinking that must have been done before. If anyone has please tell me which rums to mix. If not then my question to the tiki Ohana is should we have some sort of a contest or rum mixing event? Inquiring minds and livers want to know.

M

Thanks so much to everyone who came out this weekend- great times!!!

Had an absolutely wonderful time! The presentation was a blast, Bum! Learned some new facts that will quickly be transfered to any poor soul that now sits next to me in a tiki bar and orders a Mai Tai. Oh, the poor fools... :wink: I loved it when the talk got 'geeky', well done, sir! Though, to be fair, with my name, anything geeky involving tiki is pretty much a given winner. Was also a pleasure to chat a bit after. As I said, the Grog Log was the catalyst that ruined... um... changed my life forever and sucked me down the thatch covered rabbit hole.

Thank you Smuggler's Cove for hosting the event! Not to mention, thank you too to Zapa for 'helping' us really experience the seminar... and for the sweet hat! My head is a little too big for the thing, but it still looks quite dashing on me. :wink:

After the talk I stayed downstairs and drank the night away in the depths of the heart of the Cove. Had some great conversations with the bartender Marco, but even greater cocktails. Which made me think... now that you've created the ultimate and definitive collection of tiki cocktail books, a look at the bartenders of yore... there is a new story to be written now (and in many ways directly resulting from your first stories), the stories of the modern bartenders and their journeys to revive the lost art of tiki alchemy. I'm sure you've come across some fine establishments... I can think of one that hops to mind eh hem... and have come across some passionate bartenders who's path of mixology obsession is a fascinating story waiting to be told. Like in Sippin' Safari where we follow the lives of the bartenders, I would love to read about the modern neo-alchemists. Hear how they found tiki and how their own custom creations were inspired.

Well, at least... if there were such a book... I'd buy a copy. :wink:

(and if this inspires that book to be written, it's spelled "TikiGeeki", capital T and G. "Thank you for the inspiration..." I'm sure you can jazz up that dedication. I'm just saying...)

Pages: 1 16 replies