Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Tak Shindo on CD ?

Pages: 1 5 replies

This is probably a question that'll make everyone say "New Guy !":

Does anyone know if Tak Shindo's work has been released on CD ? I've done some searching on the net (including here at TC) but I've not found any conclusive answer one way or the other. The only thing I've been able to find is one track, "Bali Hai," on the first Ultra-Lounge compilation "Mondo Exotica." Other than that: niente.

Anyone have more of a clue than I do ?

V

Sorry, no, I don't think there has been a CD of any Tak Shindo's album.

H

The Tak Shindo version of "Bali Hai" is my absolute favorite. I do see the occasional bit of vinyl from him on eBay now and then, which is great if you have one of those nifty turntables that comes with cables and editing software that plug into your computer so you can make your own cds/mp3s (my favorite new toy!), but not much help if you're just looking for a cd...

No legitimate Tak Shindo CD reissue has ever been released.

There was a bootleg two-fer with Tak Shindo's Mganga and Les Baxter's Jungle Jazz in the 1990's but that's it.

A Tak Shindo reissue would sure be nice!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I suppose you have learned by now that a Tak Shindo CD has just been released on Righteous Records, couple dwith an Ethel Azama record: http://www.amazon.com/Exotic-Dreamers-Ethel-Azama/dp/B003F0GL96/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1277071301&sr=1-1

I have it and it is most excellent!

I have the Ethel Azama/Tak Shindo "Exotic Dreamers" twofer as well and definitely concur that it is, indeed, excellent.

Ethel Azama's "Exotic Dreams" is basically a vocal Martin Denny album. From what I understand, Denny more or less discovered Ethel and helped produce her debut album, which would explain why his touch and signature sound is all over the record.

Tak Shindo's "Mganga!," making it's official CD debut, is like a cross between Les Baxter and Walt Disney. It's rife with "scary" jungle rhythms and "ethnic" tribal chants set to the sounds a full blown orchestra and chorus. Various animal sound effects even pop up from time to time. And I'm not sure, but I think there's a rainstorm in there somewhere! Truly wonderful, wonderful stuff!

Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of the Ethel Azama/Tak Shindo "Exotic Dreamers" twofer ASAP!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exotic-Dreamers-Ethel-Azama/dp/B003F0GL96/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1277085212&sr=8-1

Pages: 1 5 replies