Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Event calendar

Pages: 1 26 replies

It would be cool if there was a calendar in here you could view and it would show tiki events occuring on any given date. People could post anything from a home bar opening to a large event and u could sequentially look at calendar pages to see what was going
on. Is this feasible?

I have found a few free online group calendars - but as usual - they do take time and some technical savvy to get them going and I know hanford is booked these days...

on a related note - any volunteer programmers to set such a thing up over on lottaliving? send me a private message if you're available. I also need help with my gallery - i can't get the image upload to work... arggg

Mine has always been open for public viewing.
It covers only events local to SoCal and sometimes all the way to Las Vegas. I may add another to take care of all of the U.S., but I find that it REALLY DOES require quite a bit of time to research, verify, compile and post information. You don't realize it until you actually do it.

Click my signature line below. Then clicking on "Month" view is usually easier to see everything.

Do we need it to look like a calendar? or could it be a list, organized by date, with the most recent events at top? Adding to it would be automated, of course.

If it's that, I could probably write it up pretty easily (and you could have a copy of it to, Futura Girl).

If it needs to look like a calendar, then that's a little harder.

This is one of the things I've been wanting to add for a while.

~Hanford

we actually had a list form calender on modcom fora long time - but it got very hard to read.
here's all that's left of it - it's been defunct and unlinked for a long time: http://www.modcom.org/events.php3
let me see if i can dig up the free/shareware graphical layout kinds i found... it's been awhile.

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-05-03 17:55 ]

there are tons of hosting services out there - but i suspect that you, like me, want to have the software locally andin your hands like phpBB and Gallery. So here are the ones i looked at...
http://www.managedtime.com/ (they were one ofthe few ones that host group calendars - that was free with no ads)
http://www.cyberweavers.com/download/cybercalendar.html (written in PERL)
http://www.webevent.com (very professional, but rather pricey)
http://www.proverbs.biz/opensource/calendar.php (a PHP MySQL open source group calendar but not quite as powerful as i could hope for)
http://www.htmlcal.com/ (ho hum...)
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/webcalendar/ (this CGI written in PERL was the strongest contender)

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-05-03 18:34 ]

Thanks for the links.

I think that the graphical calendars have the same problem (if not worse) when there's a lot of events.. you get big blank areas taking up room then the weekeds are overfilled.

Hmm....

On 2003-05-03 16:35, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Do we need it to look like a calendar? or could it be a list, organized by date, with the most recent events at top? Adding to it would be automated, of course.

If it's that, I could probably write it up pretty easily (and you could have a copy of it to, Futura Girl).

This would be fine, anything sequentially listing events that you could look thru would be cool and the gang.
Sneaky

SneakyTiki~

Don't take this wrong, but among the events that I see going on, I really don't see anything happening in or anywhere near where you are at.

I guess you are sort of like me, where as long as you can "see" that an event is happening, even if it's not nearby, you still feel that this crazy thing we call "tiki" is being kept alive.

BTW, I guess my personal calendar has worked for some, since some TC'ers have called/emailed/private-messaged to say thanks for letting them know what events are taking place.

M

As 2005 gets under way, is it possible to get the dates of upcoming events listed here in chronological order? It would be handy for planning ahead.

like...

EVENT DATE
Holiday

New Year's Day 01/01/05
MLK Day 01/17/05
Chinese New Year 02/09/05
Valentines Day 02/14/05
KON TIKI 02/19/05
President's Day 02/21/05
RENO FUN TRAIN
St. Patrick's Day 03/17/05
Easter 03/27/05
VEGAS/ROCKABILLY 03/26/05-03/27/05
SF CRAWL 03/31/05-04/04/05
OC CRAWL ... ?
Passover 04/23/05-04/30/05
Cinco de Mayo 05/05/05
TIKI OASIS 05/06/05-05/08/05
Mother's Day 05/08/05
Memorial Day 05/30/05
Father's Day 06/19/05
NW CRAWL...?
Independence Day 07/04/05
MRSMILEY'S BIRTHDAY 07/08/05
INTERNATIONAL TIKI DAY 08/13/05
International Tiki Day 08/13/05
CHICAGO EXOTICA
TIKI TORCH ATLANTA
Labor Day 09/05/05
HUKILAU ...?
Columbus Day 10/10/05
Yom Kippur 10/13/05
MONDO LOUNGE
Halloween 10/31/05
Veteran's Day 11/11/05
Thanksgiving 11/24/05
Christmas 12/25/05
Hanukkah 12/26/05-01/02/06
OTHER ....?
ETC ...?
CASEY'S NEW YEAR'S EVE 12/31/05
New Year's EVE 12/31/05

Tikimaxton, wisely, wants to get a date set for this year's NW Crawl which previously has been scheduled in early to mid summer. We want to avoid conflicts with other events so... throw us a fricken bone, need the information.

I can update this as info comes in.

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2005-01-06 23:54 ]

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2005-01-06 23:59 ]

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2005-01-07 00:01 ]

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2005-01-07 00:07 ]

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2005-01-07 00:08 ]

M

On 2005-01-06 17:25, mrtikibar wrote:
As 2005 gets under way, is it possible to get the dates of upcoming events listed here in chronological order? It would be handy for planning ahead.

SF Crawl...3/31/05-4/4/05
OC Crawl... ?
Tiki Oasis...Mother's day
NW Crawl...?
Smiley's B'day 7-8 :)
Int'l Tiki Day 8-13
Hukilau...?
other....?
etc...?

Tikimaxton, wisely, wants to get a date set for this year's NW Crawl which previously has been scheduled in early to mid summer. We want to avoid conflicts with other events so... throw us a fricken bone, need the information.

I've only got 10 vacations days a year, so I put up all the events I could think of in an excel spreadsheet to get organized. here is the info I have:

Jan: 0

Feb: 0

Mar reno - fun train
Vegas 3/26/Easter/Rockabilly thing

Apr: 4/2 SF Crawl
May: Mothers day: palm springs Oasis

June: NW Crawl (PDX)

July: 7/8 Smiley's b-day (may be held in Hawaii or England this year)

August: ITD (So Cal?)
Chicago Exotica?
Tiki Torch - Atlanta?

Sept: Hukilau
Oct: Oktoberfest?;
Mondo lounge;
Nov: 0
December: santa con
new years eve Tropics, Palm Springs!

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 on 2005-01-06 18:15 ]

On 2005-01-06 17:25, mrtikibar wrote:

SF Crawl...3/31/05-4/4/05
OC Crawl... ?
Tiki Oasis...Mother's day
NW Crawl...?
Hukilau...?
other....?
etc...?

Kon Tiki . . . . 2/19/05 (President's Day weekend)

M

I remember suggesting this a while ago- we could have in the Tiki Events forum a sticky topic that would always be at the top. It would have one post in it that would look like mrtikibar's, perhaps with a bit of explanation or links attached to each event. Whenever you have confirmed dates for a new event, post it to that thread, and a moderator will add it to the the first post and delete your message. That way the thread never gets cluttered and there's one unified calendar. How does that sound? Easy for Hanford, too.

MG

Sounds good to me.

Sometimes I miss out on the action becuse I usually just view the new posts and then I find out that my wife was on TC before me unexpectedly who isn't a daily lurker. It gets hard to keep up with everything that's going on when you get busy. The events are one of the main reasons why love TC. The events and TC are obviously responable for so many good friends....so there. You guys didn't really think I was mean, did you?

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2005-01-07 09:25 ]

M

On 2005-01-07 08:50, martiki wrote:
I remember suggesting this a while ago- we could have in the Tiki Events forum a sticky topic that would always be at the top. It would have one post in it that would look like mrtikibar's, perhaps with a bit of explanation or links attached to each event. Whenever you have confirmed dates for a new event, post it to that thread, and a moderator will add it to the the first post and delete your message. That way the thread never gets cluttered and there's one unified calendar. How does that sound? Easy for Hanford, too.

That format sounds right. I think we should consider keeping holidays in there for reference.

M

On 2005-01-07 08:50, martiki wrote:

sounds good to me , too. A Suggestion-add basic info like City and some link to the event or a thread about it so less informed members can check it out mote.

M

90% there- Hanford, can you create a new thread called Tiki Event Calendar and set the date so it's always at the top of Tiki Events?

Wish granted.

Thanks Humu for the heads-up.

hanford - here's a nice dirt cheap php/mysql based calendar i ran across...
http://www.bosdev.com/bosdates/
http://www.bosdev.com/bosdateslite/

here it is in action:
http://www.retroradar.com/calendar/calendar.php

M

Hanford and Martiki,

Thanks for the 2005 Events calender set-up.
The 2005 NW Tiki Crawl is scheduled for 06/17/05-06/19/05. Tikimaxton will confirm to "set in stone." Here is a link to the crawl web page: http://www.nwtiki.com/
This is the thread to use to update the main calender, no?

M

mrtikibar- didn't realize that the Event topic at the top was locked. I've unlocked it so you can post information there. I'll add this stuff now. Thanks!!

Hanford, another suggestion: When someone updates the Tiki Events Calendar they change the topic title to say the calendar was updated. I.e., "Tiki Events Calendar (Updated 21 Feb. 2005)" Maybe they could highlight the latest changes by putting them in italics, or marking them with a :sheckymug:?

T

What happened to the Calendar in Tiki Events? I would like to plan my trip to Hukilau and want to see what other events are happening along the way, and when.

What happened to the Event Calender that used to be locked at the top of this forum?

M
Moki posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 11:27 AM

Any news on the calendar?? It would be helpful in planning events.
Thanks...

I don't know exactly what happened to the event calendar, I suspect it became a PITA to maintain.

However, the timing of your query is beautiful, because on Thursday I added a list of Upcoming Tiki Events to Humu Kon Tiki. I hope it's useful!

Humu Kon Tiki

Pages: 1 26 replies