Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Found this Kahiki fountain mug (?) at thrift store

Pages: 1 20 replies

S

I'm not sure if this should be posted in another thread or not, so please forgive me if I'm doing this wrong.

I found this thing at a thrift store, and so far, nobody can tell me anything about it.

It's not the typical mug that we're used to seeing. This is something else. A pencil holder perhaps? a mug prototype? It's ceramic, but painted, not glazed, and it has some cream white paint on it that looks like it doesn't belong. It may have been painted on by the last owner.

Has anyone ever seen such a thing?

Here's a side detail

A home crafted mug perhaps?

UT

Nice find. Is that a date next to the name? And looks like it has a trademark circle also.

S

Close as I can tell it says "Cindy's M.W. (6)"
The 6 is inside a circle like a trademark symbol.

I think if it had been a crafter item there would be many more of them out there. That would indicate a commercial mold had been made. So far nobody has ever seen this before. I figured this would be the place to ask.

I thinks it says "Cindys MUG " look closer with a sharp eye Space.

On 2010-04-08 11:04, 1961surf wrote:

Well, that's what I thought and so I guessed it ti be home made.

Maybe it says "Cindy's Dog"?
Aloha,
:tiki:

S

On 2010-04-08 11:04, 1961surf wrote:

No, it's definitely not MUG. That middle letter looks like a W and there are periods between them. Also that last symbol is certainly not a G.

It's made from a mold for certain also.

S

On 2010-04-08 12:18, Bongo Bungalow wrote:

If that were the case, this would probably be a very common item and chances are someone would have seen it before.

On 2010-04-08 16:11, Spaceboy wrote:

On 2010-04-08 12:18, Bongo Bungalow wrote:

If that were the case, this would probably be a very common item and chances are someone would have seen it before.

Well OK, unless it was a one-off. But you live in Kahiki land, maybe it's from there. Have you checked out the old menus?

H

I just wanted to see these side by side.

BTW, nice find!

S

On 2010-04-08 19:31, Hakalugi wrote:
I just wanted to see these side by side.

Thanks.

S

Nobody knows anything about this?
This is very surprising to me. I figured if anyone had seen this, it would be Tiki Central people.

Yes, I live in Kahiki land. None of my friends know anything either.

I'll add my $.02 . . from the thickness of the "mug" walls I doubt it was cast from a mold. It looks like a sculpted piece to me. So it may well be the only one in the world. Cool, and kinda sad at the same time. It's a great idea for a mug.

Unique. The fact that it was found at a thrift store indicates that it is older...or was an unappreciated present. It is intriguing that perhaps sometime before the Tiki Revival someone named Cindy was inspired by that entrance fountain, which is one of the oddest attempts at Maori art in Poly pop, only comparable to the strange Paddle Sucker mug. It looks really sad there in that clinical environment at Kahiki Foods (above), it is missing its muse...

And the mug is not at all like the candle holder the Tsaos had made a while ago. Always wanted to have one of those:

T

looks like it seems to be missing a lid or headdress.
It looks like a match to the photo, but the top of the mug seems to be missing something.?

PS: BTW This mug and Fountain freak me out!! and I work for mcphee! HA! What is it a Pig Man Bear...ManBearPig!!!???

[ Edited by: thefuzz 2010-04-16 00:41 ]

S

I'm thinking now that this was a mug prototype from the Tsao dynasty, maybe around the time that candle holder was made. I have one of those mugs. Maybe this was a potential design.

It is very obviously slip cast, not hand built. I'd really like to find this Cindy person. I have a feeling she is the ceramist who created it, not just a hobbyist. It would be unusual for a hobbyist to create a mold for slip casting, unless there was a market for such things. If this was not officially sanctioned by the Kahiki, it would be unlicensed Kahiki merchandise which might have gotten Cindy in trouble.

T

Too bad we don't know the name of the guy who made the mugs for the
Tsao dynasty.:)

S

On 2010-04-16 15:18, tikiskip wrote:
Too bad we don't know the name of the guy who made the mugs for the
Tsao dynasty.:)

What? Sure we do. I thought you knew him personally Skip.
Wasn't it Mario Torres?
I don't know how to contact him though.

You've never seen this mug Skip? You're the Kahiki expert here.

S

I was joking about the Tsao Dynasty as the period of time that the Tsaos ran the Kahiki, as opposed to the Sapp Dynasty. My attempt at art history humor.

T

No I don't know him.
And I have no info on that mug.
But you came to the right place for answers.
TC is where tiki lives.

Pages: 1 20 replies