Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

sailing to Rapa Nui?

Pages: 1 4 replies

T

HOW AMAZING WOULD THIS BE?!

Orange Coast College's School of Sailing and Seamanship

Offshore Sailing...

What we do best

Combine a sturdy proven offshore boat with a crew that has a passion for long distance voyaging and you get a winning combination of adventure and challenge. This year’s voyages are for those looking for extreme adventure. These voyages are the heart and soul of what Alaska Eagle was built to do, sail extended offshore voyages to exotic destinations.

Alaska Eagle crew members share a passion for sailing, learning and adventure. Our skipper/mate teams work with each crew member in fulfilling individual learning goals. Hands-on experience keeps the learning fresh and relevant. Alaska Eagle is the perfect platform for learning underway.
Subjects taught underway include navigation, radar, watch standing, provisioning, sail trim and sail changes, reefing, weather and anchoring.
For additional information and registration please contact Karen Prioleau at 949.645.9412 or send an email to [email protected]

Leg 1 – Newport Beach to Easter Island
Oct 30 – Nov 23, 2010

Leg 1 - Newport Beach to Easter Island
Sail to the world's most remote inhabited island, Easter Island. This 24 day trip starts at Alaska Eagle's home port of Newport Beach. Sailing south into the northeast Trades, Eagle will pick her way through the doldrums and squalls of the ITCZ as she closes in on the equator. For days on end there will be no land in sight. The equator crossing will be a highlight. Entering the southeast trades, Alaska Eagle will sail onward to one of the world's most unusual landfalls, where the moai statues rise above the island, looking out to seas.

occsailing.com

This isn't solicitation, just a case of MAJOR window shopping drooling...

H

What a incredible way to arrive at Easter Island!

From their website:

Leg 1 – Newport Beach to Easter Island
Oct 30 – Nov 23, 2010
$3,950

And here's a photo of the Alaska Eagle:

What a dream that would be! And with cash, time and guts you can make it happen. I know nothing about sailing anything more than a dinky catamaran,,, but I do know the statues on Rapa Nui look inland. "...where the moai statues rise above the island, looking out to seas." Wrong! ...So I know somethin'.

As an Alumni of Orange Coast College I'm very proud of my Alma mater and now there is more Tiki to throw on Costa Mesa's past and present Tiki pile.

On 2010-04-13 02:55, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
What a dream that would be! And with cash, time and guts you can make it happen. I know nothing about sailing anything more than a dinky catamaran,,, but I do know the statues on Rapa Nui look inland. "...where the moai statues rise above the island, looking out to seas." Wrong! ...So I know somethin'.

Actually some of the Moai do face the ocean, but, yeah, the majority face inland. Maybe they plan their arrival to approach near the Moais that face the ocean.

Pages: 1 4 replies