Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

My favorite Hawaiian Shirt site.

Pages: 1 12 replies

R

I have nothing to do with this company/site other than I have bought a boatload of shirts from them in the last couple of years. I shop around Duval St. (the main street in Key West) regularly for Hawaiians and the standard Paradise Found, Diamond Head and other big names can be had by a local for a good price, but the stuff they have here is great IMO. You have to dig a bit as some is a bit TOO cheesy even for me, but there are some great finds and the prices are EXCELENT! So is the customer service, with all shipping going via 2 day Fed Ex. (if you buy more than one at a time it is a very reasonable S&H cost). I have not seen any of these sold on any other sites, (I think a lot of them are made on the premises) and have only ONCE seen someone in KW wearing one other than me :wink: The only negitive thing I can say about them is the 100% cotton shirts can shrink down a tad more than normal, so keep that in mind, but I am a barrel chested 49 inches and XXL in cotton or blend is fine.

http://rainbowhawaii.com/accredited/hawaiianshirts.html

TR

Not bad. Have you tried Alohaland.com and hotshirts.com(Paradise on a Hanger) for Aloha shirts?

[ Edited by: tiki rider five-o on 2003-05-09 01:44 ]

I can vouch for Paradise on a Hanger; I have several of their shirts and they are high quality. They even make matching Aloha shirt/dress sets, too.
Definitely worth a look.

R

Yes I bought a shirt at Paradise on a hanger but found the prices like many places to be stupid expensive, and many times I could find the same print somewhere else for less. Hawaiians shouldn't cost more than $50 unless it is something amazing, IMO. The shirt I bought at hotshirts.com was a Guy Harvey called 'Billfish Rising' and I have not seen it anywhere else. I have bought MANY shirts at Rainbow and I have been very happy with the quality, prints (lots of great tapas) and value as I wear one almost everyday when driving my taxi cab here in Key West :wink:

BTW Hilo Hatties has some good prices too.

Tommy Bahama.

R

On 2003-05-24 22:11, RevBambooBen wrote:
Tommy Bahama.

From stupid to insanly expensive, and boring, uninspired and almost poser serious prints, in my not so humble opinion. :wink: Sort of like buying a new Mercedes for $50K when I could have a cherry, classic 50's Chevy for a lot less money.

Brad The Beachcomber is going to be setting up at Hukilau with us in our room...he runs a vintage clothing store called 8th Street Vintage, and has incredibly cool 50's and 60's Aloha shirts. A lot of 50's swimwear, too. He showed me a tapa print bathrobe that just walked out of "Tiara Tahiti"! Stop by...I'll have some of my own carvings for sale/on display for order, and some other tikis and digs, too.

Isn't that the coolest movie? Seen it twice.

Man...that movie...that party scene and those Marquesan tikis everywhere you look are just the tops. Made me wanna visit the Jewel of the South Pacific! I also like how there were Tahitian musicians magically handy for all important scenes. When I win the lottery I'm going to hire some to follow me around at all times... :)

DZ

BK-- I know there was a post about this a while back, but have you decided on what you're carving for the Hukilau: a lot of small things or just a few big things? I'd love to add some of your carvings to my lounge, but can probably only afford something I can carry home in my suitcase. Any news?

Rattiki-
Wo! A Floridian not into Tommy Bahama? (I was just joking about Tammy Pajama aka TB) So, you live in Key West? Where should Crazy Al and I go when we are down there? Does your cab have a " show us a good time all day tourist rate"? We should be pouring into town Sun. eve on the 29th of June for a few days of R&R. Was there 17 years ago. Dig the grave yards!

A few of both, Doctor Z, but not as many as I had hoped for as I have had a harrowing last couple of months which I had planned to spend carving but couldn't due to two funerals, multiple necessary out of town trips, food poisoning, and a wedding. I will have a smattering, though, so I guess I'll be sort of in the "limited edition" range. To supplement I'll have a lot of other stuff, including a couple of 4-footer Hawaiian style tikis from a buddy and two other neat ones in addition to my own stuff.

R

On 2003-05-28 09:14, RevBambooBen wrote:
Rattiki-
Wo! A Floridian not into Tommy Bahama? (I was just joking about Tammy Pajama aka TB) So, you live in Key West? Where should Crazy Al and I go when we are down there? Does your cab have a " show us a good time all day tourist rate"? We should be pouring into town Sun. eve on the 29th of June for a few days of R&R. Was there 17 years ago. Dig the grave yards!

Well I'm glad to hear your TB suggestion was just a joke. It's a long way culturally from here to South Beach, the posers ;-b

Don't do any day driving, mostly late at night Tues-Sat 11PM-6AM and Sun 6PM-6AM. My cell is 305 304 2181, would love to see ya, but I am sure you already know where all the trouble is to be found :wink:

Carl

Pages: 1 12 replies