Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Long version of Martin Denny's "Quiet Village"?

Pages: 1 4 replies

RB

Anyone know about a "long version" of Martin Denny & "Quiet Village"? Ran across this CD over the weekend, but didn't buy it...but I am curious about this so-called long version.

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Bachelors-Den-Various-Artists/dp/B0000001A3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1271690648&sr=1-1

R

Run time in the booklet and on the CD is 3:41, which matches what my iTunes has listed for the Mono version of Quiet Village.

That being said, this CD was mastered by Steve Hoffman, who has a great audiophile forum online. Warning: if you're a music head, prepare to lose days of your life wandering here and learning about the loudness wars and why all your favorite CDs and Vinyl are mastered poorly!

Anyway, here's the site:
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums

Steve mastered a load of those DCC label CDs and they are apparently very well thought of by the denizens of said forum. Most of them are out of print.

Cheers,
Rupe

There is a mono recording and two different stereo recordings.

One stereo recording was done for the stereo "Exotica" album.

The other was done for the stereo "Quiet Village" album.

The stereo version on "Exotica" is arranged like the original mono version, but it is played at a slightly slower tempo.

The stereo version on "Quiet Village" is the shortest because it omits an 8-bar passage about half-way in. This version also has some rhythm issues and never settles into a consistent groove.

Go with either the mono version or the (longer) stereo version from "Exotica."

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2010-04-19 20:22 ]

MH

Man, there are definitely some time issues with the percussion sections on some of the exotica recordings. Caravan has a percussion/boobam solo - that whole thing is just ...well, it's bad. LOL. 1:33 or so begins the percussion solo if you want to review it :wink:

On 2010-04-19 20:21, OnyaBirri wrote:
There is a mono recording and two different stereo recordings.

One stereo recording was done for the stereo "Exotica" album.

The other was done for the stereo "Quiet Village" album.

The stereo version on "Exotica" is arranged like the original mono version, but it is played at a slightly slower tempo.

The stereo version on "Quiet Village" is the shortest because it omits an 8-bar passage about half-way in. This version also has some rhythm issues and never settles into a consistent groove.

Go with either the mono version or the (longer) stereo version from "Exotica."

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2010-04-19 20:22 ]

WOW!

And I thought I was a geek!! :wink:

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Pages: 1 4 replies