Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Any Tiki locations in Oahu, Hawaii?

Pages: 1 10 replies

T

After a difficult high school junior year for my daughter, I'm taking her and the rest of the family to Oahu in June. As big tiki fans, any suggestions to locating tiki realted establishments would be appreciated. Thank you, Bill

[ Edited by: thequin 2010-04-20 11:46 ]

[ Edited by: thequin 2010-04-20 12:08 ]

[ Edited by: thequin 2010-04-20 20:41 ]

You should check out Critiki, run by our very own Tiki Central seamstress, Humuhumu.

La Mariana Sailing Club

Tiki's Grill & Bar

Hilton Hawaiian Village

T

Polynesian Cultural Center has tikis from several islands plus the Bishop museum is a must .

I have referred people to the La Mariana Sailing Club and they have been very impressed and had a wonderful Tiki experience. I believe this to be a "must see" and one of the best Tiki Places in Hawaii.

T

I'm here right now....

Tikis are everywhere here in waikiki. Not all places are full on Polynesian Pop...just "Polynesian"...without the "Pop" part.

The ocean, diamond head, all the amazing tropical vegetation...it's all good here.

The Tikis in waikiki is pretty high on the TIPSY and PolyPop scale, and without a doubt La Mariana, which is old school vintage tiki.

Polynesian Cultural Center....YES !!!!! Do NOT skip that, especially if you have keikis.

The International Marketplace, while not what it used to be, is still fun, and there are some original remnants of the old IMP still there.

K

In adition to the already mentioned places, if you're hanging out in Waikiki I might suggest meals at Cheeseburger in Paradise on the corner of Kalakaua & Ala Moana, and Tiki's at the Resort Quest/Aston/Whatever It's Called Now. Not completely old school tiki lounge (Like La Mariana), but plenty of tiki ambience.

T

Thank you all who replied. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Bill

A

We're also planning a trip to Hawaii in June, so I was looking quite a bit in the Tiki Travel forum (where this thread seems to be duplicated?). Lots of good stuff there, so I'd recommend digging around with some DIY exploring with the search engine. Many people have also posted pics from their own trips too. Sorry I don't have time right now to point you to links for individual threads, but there are many.

Sad to see how many things that have been discussed before are now closed, like the Hawaiian Hut or the Hawaiiana Hotel. Still, even those topics may be of interest, because some of the locations could be worth a drive-by to see what they're like now, and if tikis are still standing.

-Randy

Whatever you do, do not miss LaMariana. Excellent food, beautiful view, and wonderful atmosphere. It is still very tiki, very quaint, very eclectic. I fell in love with the place. Keep in mind that you might need reservations. We did not have them and got lucky that they were able to squeeze us in!

Fort DeRussy has the Kukalepa Memorial to fallen Hawaiian warriors. It is made up of several carved tikis and is beautiful. It's worth walking through the park to see. The park itself is really beautiful as well.

Is the Tiki at the Hawaiiana Hotel (RIP) still there?

[ Edited by: christiki295 2010-04-27 22:06 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies