Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 4-21-10 Playlist

Pages: 1 3 replies

Be sure to listen to Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge next Wednesday, 5-6 P.M. Eastern Time, on Fairfax Public Access/WEBR Radio, which can be heard on the Internet at: http://www.fcac.org/webcasting/webcast.htm

The theme this week was spring, which also will be the theme of the next two shows as well. Over the course of them, you will notice that there is very little Hawaiian music included. When I was looking through my music collection for spring-themed songs, I puzzled why none of my Hawaiian CDs had any of these songs. After a few seconds it suddenly dawned on me: “D’oh! They don’t have spring in Hawaii!”

I will be playing the only one I could find on my next show on April 28: “Joy Spring” by Lyle Ritz and Herb Ohta from their CD: A Night of Ukulele Jazz – Live at McCabe's Guitar Shop. Of course, Hawaiians have tons of songs about flowers, but for this year I’m sticking to good old jazz, Latin and pop.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: April 21, 2010

1. “Love Turns Winter to Spring” by June Christy from her 1957 LP: Gone for the Day

2. “On the Sunny Side of the Street” by Lester Young from the Lester Young Supreme Jazz CD

3. “Spring Is Here” from the CD: Anita O’Day and Billy May Swing Rodgers and Hart

4. “Joy Spring” by the Gil Evans Orchestra from the LP: Great Jazz Standards

5. Lazy Afternoon” by Patti Austin from her CD: The Real Me

6. “April Showers” Mel Torme and the Page Cavanaugh Trio from the CD: ‘Round Midnight

7. “Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most” by Jackie Ryan from her CD: Doozy

8. “Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White” by Tito Puente from the collection: The Complete 78s – Volume 4 – 1949-55 – Disc Two

9. “Spring Cleaning” by Fats Waller from the CD Box Set: Handful of Keys: Disc Three: The Joint Is Jumping

10. “April in Paris” by Sarah Vaughan and Clifford Brown from the Collection: Clifford Brown – Jazz ‘Round Midnight

11. “I’ll Remember April” by Erroll Garner from the recording: Concert by the Sea

12. “Come Rain or Come Shine” by Chet Baker from the 1957 LP: Embraceable You

13. “Up, Jump, Spring” by McCoy Tyner from his CD: Autumn Mood

TM

I love it, Zarkov! Lots of great jazz in this one, including Gil Evan's version of "Joy Spring" (which is one of the best versions ever). I dig the unison, monophonic playing of the melody.

A lot of Gil Evan's later stuff really straddled the border between jazz and Lounge/exotica...very moody, understated, heavy use of Bongos...I always say that if you like Les Baxter, you will probably like Gil Evans...and he is not really discussed around here much, so props to you for including him in your show!

http://www.myspace.com/lucasvigor

On 2010-04-22 17:07, lucas vigor wrote:
I love it, Zarkov! Lots of great jazz in this one, including Gil Evan's version of "Joy Spring" (which is one of the best versions ever). I dig the unison, monophonic playing of the melody.

A lot of Gil Evan's later stuff really straddled the border between jazz and Lounge/exotica...very moody, understated, heavy use of Bongos...I always say that if you like Les Baxter, you will probably like Gil Evans...and he is not really discussed around here much, so props to you for including him in your show!

http://www.myspace.com/lucasvigor

I've been a big fan of his since I was a high school radio DJ in northern New Jersey in 1968-69 (broadcasting directly into New York City from our transmitter atop one of the Ramapo Mountains!) I was turned on to his music by Max, the salesman at Sam Goody's in Paramus Mall, a short Jewish guy who always wore a suit and smoked cigars (in the store!) and who took me under his wing and provided me with my first real jazz education by recommending first-rate records from the store's cut-out bin, which made them affordable for a teenager, at a time when I thought the height of jazz profundity was Herb Alpert. I later mentioned this to some jazz musicians and invariably their faces would light up because they all knew Max.

The Individualism of Gil Evans was one of these LPs Max pulled out of the bin and declared, "You really should buy this." A few years later I had the opportunity to see Gil Evans live during one of his weekly open rehearsals at Westbeth in NYC, where he lived. I remember the tuba player Howard Johnson was one of the musicians, and in the middle of the band playing, Airto and Flora Purim wandered in, unpacked his percussion instruments and started playing along with the rest of the band like they had been there all along.

I started chatting with the woman sitting next to me, who was one of Evans' neighbors in Westbeth, the poet Ree Dragonette who I later got to know and helped out sometimes with the poetry reading series she held in her loft. You may know her from the liner notes to Eric Dolphy's Berlin Concerts recording. At one point she and Dolphy held joint concerts where she read her poetry aloud while he accompanied her. Although those performances were recorded, the recordings were never found after he died. Now that she's gone, too, I can say that I have suspected it may have been because they were having an affair (around the time she was working with Dolphy she wrote a famous poem dedicated to a Black lover), and Dolphy's wife destroyed the tapes. But that's just sheer speculation on my part.

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2010-04-23 06:44 ]

TM

Interesting story, and probably true! (where there is smoke, there is fire!)

Pages: 1 3 replies