Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Hodaddy Lagoon Spring Chop (w/a twist) Sat, May 8, 2010

Pages: 1 13 replies

Aloha Friends.

It's time again to host my regular spring chop on lovely Hodaddy Lagoon in front of my house, but just as I was about to post the event notice, my friend Terri from San Diego's Hanohano Outrigger Canoe Club asked if Freaky Boutiki would reprise last year's carving exhibition at this year's 30th Annual Crystal Pier Race.

The Crystal Pier Race is one of the largest of it's kind on the West Coast and 1,250 paddlers and spectators are expected to attend.

The HanoHano Outrigger Canoe Club is a non-profit organization that has been a part of Mission Bay's cultue since 1981. Each year members ranging in age from 10 to 70 compete as youth and adult teams in Hawaiian outrigger races up and down the California coast. As a club they strive to share the traditions, culture and Aloha Spirit of this competitive sport with the community.

http://www.hanohano.com/

So, I have decided to shift the location of my usual spring chop to the site of the race: North Ski Beach Park, the East side of Ingraham Driveon Vacation Isle, in the center of Mission Bay. Take I- 5 Freeway Exit Sea World Drive and go west. Pass Sea World and take Ingraham St. exit on your right. Get in middle lane (that is two lanes over to the left) heading north. Go to second, stoplight, Vacation Road, and turn right. Then take the immediate left to the north end of the island.

NO DOGS, NO GLASS, NO SMOKING, NO ALCOHOL, NO CHAINSAWS.
YES BURROS, YES CHISELS, YES DROPCLOTHS, YES E-Z UPS.

Set up should take place between 7 & 8 AM.

Parking is free, and additional spaces are available across the street from the race site (turn left on Vacation Road and follow signs to either the North Cove or to Youth Camp). Please be aware that cars WILL BE TICKETED if parked in pull-through trailer parking spots in the trailer parking lot at the south end of the island.

Sounds way cool, I'm in!

Awesome! I chopped at their luau last year. It was only 200 or so Ohana so, kinda small compared to a race.

http://www.greyhoundog.org

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2010-04-30 18:01 ]

bummer, looks like ill be missing this one, ill be in vegas for punk rock bowling that weekend. have fun yall!

Im ALL IN!!!! I really needed this. Now I don't have to clean up my yard so soon!

M

I'm pretty sure I can make it. Sounds like a nice day!

It will be great to see you all again. This will be a great opportunity for our little tribe to collect some warm fuzzies from the appreciative HanoHano race attendees (as well as potential comission work!!!)

Hank, do we hafta be there by 8am?

MN

Terri and the gang kinda thought that I might have things to sell when I chopped at their events. Why didn't I think of that??!!! With fist in the air!

Do you think we could hang pendants from the pop-ups or have small tikis against the pop-up legs for sale? Or should it just be a relaxing day of chop and art? Maybe with our portfolios and such so they can see what we can do?!

H

On 2010-05-03 10:03, 4WDtiki wrote:

Well, Terri will have 4 or 5 reserved parking spaces for us (tiki carvers) near the set up sight. You will see chairs with "Reserved for Tiki Carvers" signs. First come first parked. I'm pretty sure Mieko will be the first one there as always!

On 2010-05-04 17:30, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Do you think we could hang pendants from the pop-ups or have small tikis against the pop-up legs for sale? Or should it just be a relaxing day of chop and art? Maybe with our portfolios and such so they can see what we can do?!

All of the above Red!

Directions: The race is at North Ski Beach, which is

located on east side of Vacation Isle off

Ingraham Street Take I- 5

Freeway Exit Sea World Drive and go

west. Pass Sea World and take Ingraham

St. exit on your right. Get in middle lane

(that is two lanes over to the left) heading

north. Go to second, stoplight, Vacation

Road, and turn right. Then take the

immediate left to the north end of the

island.

Dang, I've got Dodger Tix....

On 2010-05-04 17:30, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Terri and the gang kinda thought that I might have things to sell when I chopped at their events. Why didn't I think of that??!!!
Do you think we could hang pendants from the pop-ups or have small tikis against the pop-up legs for sale?

Billy tried that at this "Rockabilly chop picnic" and the Park Rangers came and shut him down right off. He had to actually hide his finished tikis out of sight so that they didn't look like they were for sale. Not that I agree with that rule, but I guess it makes sense because if they let one person do it, they'd have to let everyone do it too. And if that happened, the next thing you'd know some guy like me would have his own rent free tiki store on the bay sidewalk over by the Visitor's center.

On 2010-04-23 18:28, hodadhank wrote:
**NO DOGS, NO GLASS, NO SMOKING, NO ALCOHOL, NO CHAINSAWS.

this is San Diego, there's like 10,000 more things than that which you can't do down at the beach anymore....

On 2010-05-03 10:03, 4WDtiki wrote:

you should get there earlier...

I used to go to that race every year a few years back and it was REAL crowded down there. In fact, I just talked to my friend from the O'side club and he's getting there at 4:30am tomorrow to make sure he gets a spot. He says he has to get there that early because parking sucks. Lots of trucks with real big trailers taking up a lot of space. Keep this in mind if you show up late. You might have to drop off your stuff and park somewhere else...

I can't function until at least noon, so I'm sorry that I'm going miss this one. You all have fun!

Buzzy Out!

A GREAT day at the races! This was the first race of the season in the outrigger world, so it's apparently a big deal. Thousand of people, seemed like hundreds of boats, temps in mid 70s, a gentle breeze...and Hank, Mieko and me, carving tiki!

Hank working on his 3-legged Moari ottoman.

Mieko starts the newest pendant.

I brought the Lono to finish that I started earlier in the week.
Shortly before this pic, a paddler walking by bought it, and wanted me to put some flames on it, as she's a fireman.

I don't do flames well I guess, they look a doves! :roll:

Poser shot with the new owner, Fireman Lea from AZ.

Somehow, she turned into a gorilla!

That's all I got.

Nice pics Bill, especially the one with the ape! I like your flames too!

Pages: 1 13 replies