Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Waikiki International Market Place FINALLY recognizes it's own historical significance

Pages: 1 8 replies

T

Spent the past 5 days in Waikiki, and of course, visited the International Market Place.

While there on Thursday night, I happened upon the hula show,which they have at the food court. Nothing crazy, but, every seat was filled, and that was nice to see. The music was piped in, and kinda new and cheezy sounding, but ther dancers were pretty good (only 5 in total)

After the show, I started wandering around, and in the big empty space where they tore down the old Trader Vics building, they have some vendors selling stuff....then I looked up, and on the building there were projections...

I watched a few, then realized...these were all old shots of the International Market Place, Don the Beachcomber...all kinds of cool historical stuff.

I got out the iPhone and started taking shots...forgive the not so great quality. These projections had to be 40 feet wide.

Here are a few pics....I have a bunch, but I'll post these for now.

I don't know if the IMP is just biding time until the economy gets better and plan to demolish it when things pick up, or maybe they actually realize the historical significance of the IMP in Hawaii's history, but for now, they are celebrating their history, and I was lucky enough to see it.

Aloha and enjoy

Thanks for the pictures
I hope they do realize the historical value of the place and can come to a sensible decision about whats gong to happen to the site. I don't know how many times I have spoken to old time locals about the history of the Gold Coast where I live. They tell me about all the old buildings and the culture of the times back then and you have the feeling of wishing you had a time machine so you could transport yourself back there and experience it for yourself! Once its gone it can only live on in the memory's of those who experienced it, for those of us who come into this world after it is gone, it will be an experience they will never enjoy. I often wonder if the coming generations will have anything to feel nostalgic about!
Trader Bob....

[ Edited by: Trader Bob 2010-04-25 15:13 ]

Great images Jim , thanks for posting .I have not to the IMP in over 12 years.
Id say it's about time I get my keister over there before it's all gone.

Jim i posted some pictures of some of those images back in January and just pleaded with someone a couple of days ago to post some more if they were local.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5468&forum=1&start=60&64 (page 5)
But you came through in the clutch.

T

On 2010-04-25 19:21, Mongoloid wrote:
Jim i posted some pictures of some of those images back in January and just pleaded with someone a couple of days ago to post some more if they were local.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5468&forum=1&start=60&64 (page 5)
But you came through in the clutch.

Geez, how did I miss that ? I have more, and luckily, not the same ones as yours...I'll get them going asap.

On 2010-04-25 21:33, tikiyaki wrote:
Geez, how did I miss that ? I have more, and luckily, not the same ones as yours...I'll get them going asap.

Hi Jim, I'm guessing you were on Oahu around the same time I was in LA visiting with Sven et al.

T

On 2010-05-07 14:10, kapu_kai_son wrote:

On 2010-04-25 21:33, tikiyaki wrote:

Hi Jim, I'm guessing you were on Oahu around the same time I was in LA visiting with Sven et al.

Exactly... Do you live on Oahu ?

I was there last February and they were not yet projecting these morsels of history. How very, very cool!

I hope the Queen Emma Foundation realizes its historical importance.

Pages: 1 8 replies