Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trader Vic's - Gun Club Punch

Pages: 1 10 replies

K
Klas posted on Sun, May 4, 2003 1:53 PM

I've had a Gun Club Punch at Trader Vic's and would like to try mixing one myself at home. I've found a recipe on the net but I'm not sure it's the same ingridients/proportions. Can anyone confirm it or add comments?

Mahalo

Gun Club Punch

1½ oz. Pineapple juice
1 oz. Lime juice
1 oz. Light Puerto Rico rum
1 oz. Dark Jamaica rum
¼ oz. Grenadine
¼ oz. Orange Curacao

K
Klas posted on Sun, May 4, 2003 4:30 PM

I've found an alternative recipe. Problem is that 151 Demerara isn't available in Sweden. Too bad as I suspect this recipe is closer to the Trader Vic's version than the first one I posted.

Gun Club Punch

½ oz. Demerara Rum 151 proof
1½ oz. Light Puerto Rico Rum
1 Dash Curaçao Triple sec
1½ oz. Grapefruit juice
Juice of one lime
1 Dash sugar syrup

K
Klas posted on Mon, May 5, 2003 11:00 AM

Anyone tried the Gun Club Punch at Trader Vic's? Don't know if it's still on the menu but it was there in the mid 90's when I visited one of the SF area restaurants.

M

Gretings Klas,
No, I have not tried the gun club punch at the Emeryville TV's, but I do know one TC'er that fancies the drink. I will have to try it next time I am there. Was at Chicago's TV just recently and I don't think they have it on their menu, but I could be wrong.

midnite likes wine spritzers!

Aloha, Klas! Gun Club Punch is one of my favorites. Both the Beverly Hills and Emeryville Trader Vic's serve it in the shotgun shell mug. I don't remember if Chicago or Atlanta have it on their menus, but I'm sure somebody out there can let us know. Thanks for the recipes.

-Weird Uncle Tiki

K
Klas posted on Mon, May 5, 2003 12:56 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I will try the second recipe (with normal Demerara) and see if I can come close although it was 7 years since I drank it at TV's so it's hard to remember how it tasted. I remember it tasted great though, and I especially liked the balances between the juices and the rums.

M
mbanu posted on Tue, Aug 2, 2005 5:00 PM

On 2003-05-04 13:53, Klas wrote:
I've had a Gun Club Punch at Trader Vic's and would like to try mixing one myself at home. I've found a recipe on the net but I'm not sure it's the same ingridients/proportions. Can anyone confirm it or add comments?

Mahalo

Gun Club Punch

1½ oz. Pineapple juice
1 oz. Lime juice
1 oz. Dark Jamaica rum
¼ oz. Grenadine
¼ oz. Orange Curacao

That sounds reasonable, but I think the proportions are a bit funny for a punch. I'd make it so:

4 oz. Pineapple juice
½ oz. Lime juice
1 oz. Dark Jamaica rum
½ oz. Grenadine
½ oz. Orange Curacao (the 30% abv or higher stuff)

Midnite, I just happen to have a Chicago Trader Vic's menu in front of me (current vintage) that happened to end up coming home with me.

Gun Club Punch is listed on page three, second drink down in the right column. "Duck hunter's special... a bland of dark and light rum and fruit juices" $8.00. I haven't tried it, but then there's a lot of those drinks I haven't tried.

Isn't this drink listed in one of Beachbum Berry's books? I generally consider those books to be "The Truth" when it comes to these recipes.

I'll correct myself. It's not in Beachbum Berry's books, but it is in "Trader Vic's Tiki Party" by Siegelman (a book I highly recommend, btw).

The recipe given is:

1 ounce silver rum
1 ounce dark rum
1.5 ounces pineapple juice
.5 ounces lime juice
dash of grenadine
dash of orange curacao
1 cup crushed ice
1 fruit stick for garnish
1 sprig mint for garnish

combine all except garnish and pulse blend for a few seconds.

T
thejab posted on Tue, Aug 2, 2005 8:48 PM

The recipe from the new Trader Vic's book matches the recipe in the 1972 Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide except instead of 1/2 oz. lime juice it calls for the juice of one lime (which could be more like 1 oz). I think it would be preferable to measure the amount of lime juice as the new book does.

Both of Klas' recipes are basically right, except the originals said a dash where he used 1/4 oz. Which is OK, as a dash of anything but bitters was the same as 1/4 oz. For bitters, a dash was 1/8 oz.

Way back when, Vic's had two gun club punches - one served in a red 'big shot' glass and one served in the green 'big shot' glass.

Klas' first recipe , with the grenadine, is Gun Club Punch #1 and is served in the green shot glass. His second, with the Demarara 151, is Gun Club Punch #2 and is served in the red shot glass. In both cases the fruit juice should be unsweetened. The instructions for both are:

"Blend the ingredients with 1 scoop shaved ice in an electric drink mixer. Pour into big shot glass and fill the glass with ice cubes. Serve decorated with fresh mint and a fruit stick."

1 scoop of shaved ice is about 1 cup.

[ Edited by: gaurawalla 2007-11-03 17:08 ]

[ Edited by: gaurawalla 2007-11-03 17:12 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies