Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Thrift Store finds.....

Pages: 1 8 replies

D

I never find anything cool anymore at thrift stores, so I was very surprised to find these little tidbits today. I found Trader Dick's surfer girl mug, Taboo - Arthur Lyman and 12 paper tapa design placemats with a little card inside the package that says...Polynesian Paper another Paul Marshall creation, Orange, Ca. I think i'll laminate them, How much for all 3? Here's the best part -
Total 2.37! I know these aren't the finds of the century but it made my day just the same!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-05-05 19:48 ]

D

Does anyone know if these place mats were designed by the same Paul Marshall (PMP) who did the mugs, or is this a totally stupid question?

Sorry about the image being so HUGE.

[ Edited by: DawnTIki on 2003-05-05 21:13 ]

Nice score! Those placemats will be great once they're laminated. You can wipe the Mai-Tai's right off 'em.
Aloha
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale on 2003-05-06 14:49 ]

B

Good finds- and the best part is you found them "honest". I always think it is much more satisfying to find some tiki in the wild than having to pony up big money on ebay, pay more for shipping then wait for it to be delivered to your door (hoping it does not arrive broken).

Maybe I just like the instant gratification, maybe I'm an old school thrift addict, maybe I'm just a cheapskate. Regardless, I still enjoy finding tikis in the real world since the story of how or where I found it becomes part of my enjoyment. And the prices are better, even if it is getting much harder to find.

I have a friend and fellow tiki fanatic who tries to one-up me on our challenge to see who can pay the least for a tiki mug. I had the lead at $.25 then he found one for $.10 (we don't count ones that we got for free). He even leaves the prices on the mugs to show off. The ones that drive me crazy are the two Mai Kai mugs (shrunken head and wierd owl /mask) that sit on his shelf with their $.75 prices still on them.

I know another collector who asks all the antique dealers in town to hold back all their mugs for him. In my book that's cheating. Not only is it not fair to other people who might visit a store and be looking for tiki. What's the fun of having someone else round it all up for you? Besides, he is insuring that he will pay more for something. They have to be thinking, "I know he'll pay a lot since he wants this stuff" so I'm sure they price it higher than they would otherwise. But whatever.

About your place mats, I have seen many items marked Paul Marshal that I doubted they actually made themselves. I suspect they did their share of distributing others merchandise under their name. But I could be wrong.

Wooo Hooo!
The Mana was a' flowing yesterday, I picked up a pair of Harvey's Sneaky Tiki mugs yesterday at the thrift. I know they're not terribly rare but these are the nice green ones and are in perfect shape.
Aloha
:tiki:

On 2003-05-07 10:42, boutiki wrote:
I know another collector who asks all the antique dealers in town to hold back all their mugs for him. In my book that's cheating. Not only is it not fair to other people who might visit a store and be looking for tiki. What's the fun of having someone else round it all up for you? Besides, he is insuring that he will pay more for something. They have to be thinking, "I know he'll pay a lot since he wants this stuff" so I'm sure they price it higher than they would otherwise. But whatever.

You want maybe a visit from "The Tiki Mafia" for dis rum-dumb? It CAN be arranged, if you know what I mean...and I think you do!

Just recently found Billy Vaughn's "Blue Hawaii" LP in a thrift store in Burbank, for about sixty cents. In Burbank! Surprising to find something like this in a hip town like that, a place I expect to be long-since sucked dry of the good stuff. There is a record store there (Atomic Records) that has an exotica vinyl section, but those records are priced up into the collector range.

I continue to find tiki-type records in these thrift stores, and it always surprises me. I like finding them that way, in these "discarded" piles, relics.

Most recent score 3 Coco Joes for $10.00(though w/out labels).Cheapest being $1.00 Panda mug,$0.69 Moia mug/vase,
and $0.25 tiki salt shaker.

i think the best charity shop tiki finds i ever got were: Les Baxter Tamboo! 10" for 20p !!! and a pair of wooden palm-tree bookends for about £2.99 :)

Pages: 1 8 replies