Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sven's "Sound of Tiki" cd listening party, Sat May 8th at Don the Beachcomber,6 to 9pm, free

Pages: 1 39 replies

It is my pleasure to be spinning Sven's new "sound of tiki" cd this Sat May 8th. 6pm to 9pm, Free.

For More info about the cd, see this thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36348&forum=17&9

Sven will be on hand to say a few words, and he will be selling copies of the cd,and signing them.

after I will be spining some vintage Exotica/Hawaiian,
and a bit of Mellow/tropical surf.

after that, JonPaul's band the Boardwalkers play from 9 pm to 12 midnite.
please come down and enjoy the evening.
Free.

Don the Beachcomber
16278 S. Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
(562) 692-1321
http://www.donthebeachcomber.com/
6 to 9pm, free.

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-05-04 13:55 ]

Say a few words!? Waitaminnit....
:wink: :wink: :wink: Of course I will! I couldn't do it at Jay's Trader Vic's evening, because I had caught Laryngitis on the plane home.

I could talk about how this CD is really something I always wanted to do, sort of the "Lost Chapter of the Book of Tiki", as I and my publisher TASCHEN had had plans to include an Exotica CD in the book, together with a whole chapter about Exotica music. But as the book's shape and page number became more defined, I had the alternative to cut out several pages from every chapter to stay under the page limit -or make one big overall edit, which became the Exotica chapter. Knowing that the Exotica genre had already been defined and written about extensively during the 90s, I opted for letting it and the CD go, to get more ART in to the book.

Here are some images from my earliest proposal for the book from 1992, when I was still considering calling it "In Search of Tiki":

This is a cut'n'paste mock-up for the cover concept, which Mark Ryden had agreed to do a painting for!

And here is the 1992 chapter index, which changed remarkably little from then to the book's publication in 2000:

Note the last chapter is "Exotica"

And last not least a proposal page from that chapter, just a loose cut'n'paste assemblage of LP covers:

So now, ten years after it was edited out, the LOST CHAPTER of the BOT is finally published -not as a book with a CD, but as a CD with a book! :)

To illustrate that last statement, here for those who have not seen it, the U-Tube promo for the CD/Booklet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxX-Sfu-I_0

Very cool images bigbro, an interesting glimpse into how your BOT ideas came about in their early stages and were later transformed into what we all know of as the Book of Tiki.

Anyone who missed this event at Trader Vic's last week should definitely be there (and I know that is a lot of you!). Jeff, I'm guessing you wil be playing tracks from the CD there?

Sven, thanks for chiming in, and thanks for agreeing to let me do this for you at Dons.

Jason,
yes I will be playing the whole cd, and then spinning some other Exotica/Hawaiian/and mellow surf.

Hope to see lots of ya there.
Jeff(btd)

C

On 2010-05-04 09:19, bigtikidude wrote:
Sven, thanks for chiming in, and thanks for agreeing to let me do this for you at Dons.

Jason,
yes I will be playing the whole cd, and then spinning some other Exotica/Hawaiian/and mellow surf.

Hope to see lots of ya there.
Jeff(btd)

I'm doing something in the afternoon to evening, but will try to get there after as I couldn't make the Trader Vic's thing and definitely want to get Sven's CD (then see some Boardwalkers after).

Brent

Thanks Brent,

Music at 6,but....
I will probably wait till 7 pm to play Sven's cd.
so hopefully you can make it by then.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-05-04 11:08 ]

I will try to be there!! I am very interested in giving this CD a listen and Don's is the perfect place for that!!! Also, The Boardwalkers are freakin awesome!!!

cool, thanks Spermy,
I was bummed I had to miss you guys on sunday.

here is a flyer for the 2 events that JonPaul sent me.

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-05-04 13:08 ]

for more info about the cd,
see this thread in tiki music:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36348&forum=17&9

Jeff / Sven / JP - I really wish we could make this, but we have family flying into town this week, and have several family gatherings this weekend as a result. We'll look forward to hearing / buying the CD soon!

Well I received the 3 copies I bought on Amazon but I gave them as gifts already. I really would like to have Sven sign my copy but I'm tending Bar at the Tonga Hut until 9 so I will miss this great event.
Sven, when will I be able to catch you again out Valley way if at all? Maybe the 8Ball?

T
TikiG posted on Wed, May 5, 2010 3:48 PM

Yeah Sven - please consider visiting us over the hill in the valley for a CD signing party. Within the next few weeks possibly? THANKS!!

This looks like it is going to be awesome! So bummed I'll be out of town. Someone should get this on film...

On 2010-05-05 16:13, kahalakruzer wrote:
Someone should get this on film...

I cannot help it but, with the overabundance of photographic coverage that Tim slathered up on TC from the recent CD signing and Bum visit at the Ti, is it possible that the above statement might contain a tinge of irony? :wink: :lol:

Kelly, I know how it is, theses lil' Tiki packs are neat giveaways. I will gladly give a signed copy to a messenger who might bring it up to you in the Northern Lands --OR we arrange a signing at the Tonga Hut, where you could mix all the cocktails from REMIXED that I mention here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34417&forum=11&vpost=525109

....with Jeff BTD mixing the tunes, of course.

But please let's not discuss this here any further, I do not want to detract from the event at hand. Don The Beachcomber needs all the patronage it can get, with Marie being out of commission for a while, and I am glad I can help with that! I will dedicate this evening to her. She already has a copy of my CD, but I'll also ad one to the fundraiser pot.

On 2010-05-05 18:16, bigbrotiki wrote:

But please let's not discuss this here any further, I do not want to detract from the event at hand. Don The Beachcomber needs all the patronage it can get, with Marie being out of commission for a while, and I am glad I can help with that! I will dedicate this evening to her. She already has a copy of my CD, but I'll also ad one to the fundraiser pot.

Sven, that is great,
please Talk to Chris Soccer Tiki about donating a cd to the fundraiser.
thanks man,
see ya Sat.
I will probably get there around 4pm to start settin up.

Jeff(btd)

2 more days.

To what !? :wink:

Here I am making a complete fool of myself trying to look like the wonderful paper mask that Kevin Kidney made for the cover...

...and utterly failing! Looks more like a death mask! Come to think of it, that's what some Oceanic masks were, as I pointed out earlier in another post. Well, once you zoom past 50, it's all downhill from there...all that boozin' and rib-eatin' begins to show. :D

Now if you wanna HEAR me making a complete fool of myself, TONITE at 11:00 p.m. I will be LIVE on KXLU 88.9 FM talking with DJ Stella about the CD, spinning some tunes from it, and playing other strange ones that did not make it and that I might use on a follow up CD (if there will be one)

For those (like me) who are not hip to all the new forms of radio broadcasting, Stella added this info:

"KXLU also streams its signal live online at http://www.facebook.com/l/f2947;www.KXLU.com
so anyone anywhere can listen in."

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-05-07 16:24 ]

Waitaminnit, that link just goes directly to the KXLU website, not facebook.

Try this to get to the KXLU Player:

http://www.live365.com/stations/kxlu1?site=pro

Damn, I just saw this,
caught just the tail end of it.

see ya manyana Sven.

Jeff(btd)

if anybody is still up,
they are still on,
I assumed she was off the air at midnite.

Jeff(btd)

If you haven't picked Sven's CD up yet this is the perfect opportunity to get hold of a copy, get it signed by Sven himself, listen to it in a perfect Tiki location AND get to hear Jeff's great mix of Exotica and surf !!!

J
JOHN-O posted on Sat, May 8, 2010 9:31 AM

On 2010-05-07 15:26, bigbrotiki wrote:
Now if you wanna HEAR me making a complete fool of myself, TONITE at 11:00 p.m. I will be LIVE on KXLU 88.9 FM talking with DJ Stella about the CD, spinning some tunes from it, and playing other strange ones that did not make it and that I might use on a follow up CD (if there will be one)

Cool show, I wanted it to go on longer.

Stella's monotone delivery was a nice contrast to the Bigbro's German accent. I liked the double entendre selections complementing the "Sound of Tiki" tracks. Who doesn't like getting a "lei" ?? :)

Sounds like Stella is a Tikiphile. Does she post here?

Sorry I'll miss tonight's event. I'm out of town but I'd be there otherwise. Have fun !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-05-08 15:36 ]

I had planned to go but I had to take a pet to the animal E.R.
Did anybody take photos?

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 9, 2010 8:53 AM

Had a crick in GROG' neck. Wasn't in the mood to make that drive, so sat at home poppin' ibuprofen.

TT

Bummed we missed last night's listening party, our schedule got kinda wonky this weekend.
Hopefully some pictures will be posted...

Not sure about Pics,
but we had around 40 people there last night.
good times,
Thanks to all who came out.

Jeff(btd)

Welllll....it kinda was spread a little thin in the beginning, Tikiphile wise, with Seal Beach locals being the majority. Nothing wrong with that, it just didn't feel appropriate to interrupt their Basketball TV-watching with obscure musings about why that Martin Denny poster in my booklet was so cool and so on...so I had more of a one-on-one with ol' friends....later, more familiar folks trickled in, but then it was time for the Boardwalkers to set up, and for me to listen. They sure have a great sound, classic guitar surf, yet not too loud for that little bar room. But when that money guy and his Ukrainian girlfriend started to dirty dance, I had to split. :D

So Jeff, Grog, Tonga Tom and Kelly, what about the above-mentioned, more intimate Tonga Room gathering, with Beachbum cocktails themed after some song titles on my CD ???

Sven,
thank you again for agreeing to come down to OC and Don the Beachcomber for this event.
I am up for djing at The Tonga Hut. If they want, You, and I.
Or Marty Lush is the resident dj there, he is very capable to.
either way. I will be there.

Jeff(btd)

C

Sven, it was great to see and talk to you last night--and I am much enjoying listening to your CD today! It also sounds like you perceptively pinpointed the moment at which the "Don Ho" part of the evening was reached (as described in p. 44 of your liner notes)!

Brent

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, May 9, 2010 4:06 PM

I disagree with that comparison.

Don Ho is Poly-Pop's own Frank Sinatra, our Elvis Presley.

He deserves RESPECT !!

On 2010-05-09 14:56, bigbrotiki wrote:
So Jeff, Grog, Tonga Tom and Kelly, what about the above-mentioned, more intimate Tonga Room gathering, with Beachbum cocktails themed after some song titles on my CD ???

On 2010-05-09 15:00, bigtikidude wrote:
I am up for djing at The Tonga Hut. If they want, You, and I.
Or Marty Lush is the resident dj there, he is very capable to.
either way. I will be there.
Jeff(btd)

Aaaah ssssoh!
I am sure Marty is capable! So if Lush is capable, and Don Ho was a lush, that means that Don Ho WAS capable -right? :D

Here's a nice picture my wife got last night of Sven and Jim. It was great to talk to
both, and interesting to find out that Sven and I had Iaido in common.

On 2010-05-09 14:56, bigbrotiki wrote:
Welllll....it kinda was spread a little thin in the beginning, Tikiphile wise, with Seal Beach locals being the majority. Nothing wrong with that, it just didn't feel appropriate to interrupt their Basketball TV-watching with obscure musings about why that Martin Denny poster in my booklet was so cool and so on...so I had more of a one-on-one with ol' friends....later, more familiar folks trickled in, but then it was time for the Boardwalkers to set up, and for me to listen. They sure have a great sound, classic guitar surf, yet not too loud for that little bar room. But when that money guy and his Ukrainian girlfriend started to dirty dance, I had to split. :D

It's a GO! The Tonga Hut is touching base with Sven as I write this good Tiki Folks! No worries, a Signing Party with Sven for The Sound Of Tiki will happen here, at the Hut for all you "Valleyites" and those who can make it out, we throw the best Tiki Parties anywhere. I would certainly suggest you get your copy of The Sounds Of Tiki now, sooner that later as those Sven and Shag signing lines at Oasis are quite long.
Stand by for a Thread-post on the date and time. I'm excited!

I hate sports especially in a Tiki Bar!! Thanks for signing my books and CD Sven!! It would have been alot nicer if they would have shut that stupid basketball game off!!! I just wanted to listen to what Jeff was spinning!! BTW Sven the CD looks fricking great. I will be giving it a good listening to tonight in "The Blowhole"

HA HA HA!!!!
Thanks Spermy,
I agree about sports in a tiki bar.
But you gotta do, what gets people in the place to make some money.
If I had the Cash to make the best Tiki Bar in the world,
It probably wouldn't be packed, as it would be more like a Heroin Den, but with Rum. :wink:

the few customers would love it, but the General public wouldn't get it,
and I'd go out of business.

Back to the CD.
Sven, gave it a few more listens at home on sun.
Great flow and vibe to it.
can't wait for more.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-05-10 13:23 ]

T
TikiG posted on Mon, May 10, 2010 1:05 PM

Thanks Sven and Kelly for lining up a CD signing event at the Tonga Hut.

Hopefully soon and on a Friday or Saturday evening?

Cheers! G

Thanks, Spermy. And Jeff, I totally agree: ANYTHING that helps keep Don's busy is good with me!

Tiki Mantis, Thanks for the photo: The man behind Tikiyaki gives a thumbs up to the Sound of Tiki CD, cool ! ...and here is a post that delves into a funny incident from my Iaido past:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35199&forum=11&vpost=506594

And Kelly, am looking forward to do an SOT event for the Northern LA Ohana

Good times at DTB! Sven signing, Jeff spinning, and Ukrainian girls gone wild!
Snapped a few before things turned into a Russ Meyers film. Should have snapped
a few more after, but we were laughing too hard to keep the camera straight.
Special thanks goes out to Dr. Z for taking one for the tiki team!

Pages: 1 39 replies