Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

OK, so what's up in New Orleans?

Pages: 1 7 replies

I have a ticket in my pocket for New Orleans...
Does anybody know of any must sees and gotta go's,any antique malls or thrift stalls?
gonna be there almost a week starting next tuesday and I'm worried that I'm gonna be stuck eating fried chicken in a graveyard lol

[ Edited by: TIKIVILLE 2010-05-04 12:10 ]

New Orleans has too many things to even list in a single post:
The Rock'n'Bowl
The Museum of the American Cocktail
The St. Charles Streetcar
The Audubon Zoo
Preservation Hall

Bars:
The Maple Leaf Bar
The Black Cat
The Mother-in-Law Lounge
Even more...

And restaurants, don't even get me started on restaurants!!! One of the greatest food cities on the planet. Willa Mae's is a great place for fried chicken if you really want fried chicken.

And the cemetery tours are really good. Make sure you go with a guided tour for the cemeteries downtown. These are perfect places for a mugging!

Check out WWOZ for what's going on when you will be there. Great music, too.

You'll have a great time. I'll be headed there later this summer for Tales of the Cocktail.

T

groovey news ,thanks for the heads up !
I'll look into this stuff and avoid wandering off in a graveyard! lol

there's some sort of oil slick near there too i think....

Tikiville,

Just got back from New Orleans. Went for the Jazz Fest, which is always fun.

As for Tiki, there are two places that I checked out while there. The first was Kenner Park where the remains of the old Bali Hai restaurant from Pontchartrain Beach have been moved and incorporated into the City Park. The A frame and two Tikis still survive. A few photos:

Also went to Port of Call on Esplanade at the top of the French Quarter. Big, strong drinks and the best burgers in New Orleans. More nautical than Tiki, but worth a look see. We had to wait over an hour for dinner, you can eat at the bar.

Hopefully the oil spill will be under control soon. Let me know where you are staying and I can give you more info on eats, drinks and music.

DC

Thanks for posting DC.Very cool to see the remains of Bali Hai .I was wondering why
you were not at Bamboo Ben's...now I know why .Hopefully you had time to hit some
antique stores and thrift stores why you were there .

L

One of my favorite places in NOLA is One Eyed Jacks (dive bar/club) and Cafe Du Monde....if you are going all the way to NOLA you best be eating some beignets!!

TT

I lived in NOLA for about 7 years, but that was a couple of decades ago. However have visited a couple of times since then, and still like to go to all the antique stores on Royal Street in the Quarter. As for food, you can't beat the place. My personal favorite though is an oyster po-boy, dressed, from any of the corner groceries all over town. I know everyone talks about Commander's Palace and other famous places, but little corner groceries usually make the best sandwiches. Just ask a local where to eat.

BTW - if you stand on the "Moon Walk" across from Jackson's Square, overlooking the Mississippi, wave at the other side of the river. That's Algiers Point where I used to live. And of course, "Laissez les bons temps rouler"!

Pages: 1 7 replies