Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Anyone want some hard-to-get-in-US stuff? Trade at Hukilau…

Pages: 1 5 replies

H
harro posted on Thu, May 6, 2010 7:36 AM

Aloha!

This is a random stab in the dark but lets see…. I’m taking an empty suitcase (and a spare liver) to Hukilau this year, and hoping to bring back it back full (the suitcase that is) of tiki goodies that I can’t otherwise get my hands on in the UK or Australia. These being Lemon Hart Demerara Rum, tiki mugs etc.

Having lived with the tyranny of distance obstructing my tiki collecting for many years (try Argentina or Australia for shipping costs from the US!!), I thought that perhaps, on a smaller scale, the US ohana may long for something from here in the UK that is beyond their means or costs of shipping.

So I’m putting out the option of trade to anyone that’s interested. Maybe you long for one of these hard-to-get-in-the-US-products:

Lemon Hart Gold Jamaican Rum
Woods 100 Navy Rum (Demerara)
Stroh 40 or 80
Havana Club – any
Mahiki blended rums
And there are probably some other imported rums from the Caribbean and Central/South America that are not easily available to the US market – try these websites for starters to the UK market/availability (for info todays exchange rate is about £1 = $1.50):

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-339.aspx
http://www.gerrys.uk.com/index.aspx
http://www.thedrinkshop.com/

I’m also trying to track down a French supermarket in London that stocks some more artesenal French orgeat. Or maybe you’re interested in some UK produced mugs (cheeky tiki), UK tiki bar paraphernalia (eg Mahiki, Kanaloa, Kukui mugs or menus)…?

In exchange I’m looking for some LH Demerara rum (or if anyone can point me to a liquor store near the Hukilau or Mai Kai that stocks it?), any tiki bar stuff, or tiki mugs of any type – I don’t care if theyre collectable or bog standard thrift shop finds – I base my tiki mugs on simply whether I like them aesthetically or not. I have a mug “wishlist” but wont go into that just now.

Please feel free to contact me on here or by PM….Mahalo!

H

Just don't let the U.S. Customs agents find the Havana Club! Depending on their mind and mood (and eyes) they may confiscate it.

H
harro posted on Thu, May 6, 2010 9:47 AM

Good tip, thanks. Forgot you guys are still pretty stubbornly anti-Cuba. Wasn't Obama trying to relax those import laws?

C
croe67 posted on Thu, May 6, 2010 9:55 AM

On 2010-05-06 08:52, Hakalugi wrote:
Just don't let the U.S. Customs agents find the Havana Club! Depending on their mind and mood (and eyes) they may confiscate it.

I've never had a problem

Awesome offer! I know that I would love to get a bottle of Havana Club, but I'm not going to make it this year. Just as an FYI though, I know at least here in AZ the Stroh 80 is practically at every liquor store. I've never seen Stroh 40 though.

Chris

On 2010-05-06 09:55, croe67 wrote:

On 2010-05-06 08:52, Hakalugi wrote:

I've never had a problem

croe67, that's because you followed my above advice of, "Don't let the U.S Customs agents find the Havana Club."...

Pages: 1 5 replies