Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 5-5-10 Playlist

Pages: 1 5 replies

DZ

Be sure to listen to Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge next Wednesday, 5-6 P.M. Eastern Time, on Fairfax Public Access/WEBR Radio, which can be heard on the Internet at: http://www.fcac.org/webr/live.htm

The theme this week was spring, which also was the theme for the previous two weeks, which were almost entirely dedicated to jazz. Next week we will get back to exotica and exotica-tinged music.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: May 5, 2010

1. “On the First Warm Day” by Chris Connor from the 1958 LP: Chris Craft [CD: A Jazz Date With Chris Connor] [George Duvivier on Bass; Al Epstein on English Horn & Bass Clarinet]

2. “You Must Believe in Spring” by Bill Evans from the 1981 recording of the same name [With Eddie Gomez on Bass and Eliot Zigmund on Drums]

3. “They Say It’s Spring” by Blossom Dearie from her 1957 LP: Give Him the Ooh La La

4. “Spring Is Here” by Stan Getz from the CD: My Foolish Heart – Live at the Left Bank [Richie Beirach on Piano; Dave Holland on Bass; Jack DeJohnette on Drums]

5. “Some Other Spring” by Ella Fitzgerald, With Count Basie and His Orchestra from the collection: Love Letters From Ella)

6. “Some Other Spring” by the Roy Haynes Quartet from the 1962 LP: Out of the Afternoon [Roland Kirk on Reeds; Tommy Flanagan on Piano; Henry Grimes on Bass; Haynes on Drums]

7. “On the Isle of May” by Betty Carter from the Priceless Jazz Collection

8. “Joy Spring” from the 1954 LP: Clifford Brown and Max Roach, with Clifford Brown on Trumpet; Max Roach on Drums; Harold Land on Tenor Sax; George Morrow on Bass

9. “What’s Your Story Morning Glory” by Mary Lou Williams from the CD: My Mama Pinned a Rose on Me [Composed by Mary Lou Williams]

10. “What’s Your Story, Morning Glory” from the 1958 LP: Anita O’Day Sings the Winners Russ Garcia & His Orchestra (With Bud Shank on Sax and Mel Lewis on Drums)

11. “Blue Spring Shuffle” by Kenny Dorham from the LP: Quiet Kenny [Kenny Dorham on Trumpet; Tommy Flanagan on Piano; Paul Chambers on Bass; Arthur Taylor on Drums]

12. “Miss Spring Blues” by the Billy Ver Planck Orchestra from the 1957 LP: Jazz for Playgirls [Featuring Phil Woods on Sax and Bill Harris on Trombone]

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2010-05-06 15:04 ]

Dr. Zarkov, your playlists are tres, tres fabuloso!!! I've yet to catch the vibe live, but my compass is set and I have extra swizzle sticks at the ready. Mix a good one for this Taurus...as a late birthday present. Ya dig?

Muchos grandioso ice cubes for your rocks glass good doctor!

Shaken AND stirred -

Vince Martini

[ Edited by: Vince Martini 2010-05-10 15:27 ]

TM

I second that! Zarkov's choices are consistently good ! Lot's of real Jazz, which I love! Also check out Koop Kooper and Digitiki's stuff, when you get a chance. These men know music!

On 2010-05-10 17:25, lucas vigor wrote:
I second that! Zarkov's choices are consistently good ! Lot's of real Jazz, which I love! Also check out Koop Kooper and Digitiki's stuff, when you get a chance. These men know music!

Awww, gee!!! This place is like celebrating Christmas every day of the week!!! It is nice to pause from making/performing music to occasionally dig another person's playlist. So, I guess I will just have to check out Koop and , too. I might eventually take a pause from being self-indulgent to actually share a little from my collection of audio treasures, too.

Thanks so much for all your kind words. I hope you enjoy the May 12 show. I will be getting back to more exotica after three weeks of Spring-themed jazz but I think the next show will be one of my best.

On 2010-05-11 21:23, Dr. Zarkov wrote:
Thanks so much for all your kind words. I hope you enjoy the May 12 show. I will be getting back to more exotica after three weeks of Spring-themed jazz but I think the next show will be one of my best.

I'm all EARS, good doctor!

Pages: 1 5 replies