Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mai Tai Glass

Pages: 1 8 replies

D

How many ounces should a Mai Tai glass be approx?

A

I've been using a total of 3.5 oz drink plus ice, so a half size tiki mug or a small juice glass, or even a 12 oz rocks glass works just fine. hic

Haven't been too particular w/my brands of rum (egads!) but the drink is of the gods.
1 oz light rum
1/2 oz orgeat
1/2 oz Cointreau
1/2 oz fresh lime juice
shake with ice, pour over ice (I use 3 cubes)
float
1 oz dark rum
garnish w/mint

D

On 2010-05-06 18:19, Dapuma1 wrote:

Double Old-Fashioned. Nice heavy bottom if you can. 6 to 10 ounces depending on who makes it.

Something simple like:

Something a little more exotic like:

or Full Monty Trader Vic's Style like:

Bali Hai Mai Tai in a simple double old fashioned glass.

[ Edited by: Maitai Mike 2010-09-21 18:22 ]

On 2010-05-07 19:25, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2010-05-06 18:19, Dapuma1 wrote:

Double Old-Fashioned. Nice heavy bottom if you can. 6 to 10 ounces depending on who makes it.

Something simple like:

Something a little more exotic like:

or Full Monty Trader Vic's Style like:

Actually, 6-10oz would be a Single Old Fashioned Glass. 12-16oz would be a Double.

This is the real McCoy, and what you want:

http://www.tradervicsgourmet.com/product/26/9

It holds 15oz and it's an actual Trader Vic's Mai Tai Glass.

Mahalo,

Craig

On 2010-05-06 18:47, amybean wrote:
I've been using a total of 3.5 oz drink plus ice, so a half size tiki mug or a small juice glass, or even a 12 oz rocks glass works just fine. hic

Haven't been too particular w/my brands of rum (egads!) but the drink is of the gods.
1 oz light rum
1/2 oz orgeat
1/2 oz Cointreau
1/2 oz fresh lime juice
shake with ice, pour over ice (I use 3 cubes)
float
1 oz dark rum
garnish w/mint

You want a lot more ice than that, the drink should be well chilled. The standard practice with a proper Mai Tai is to pour the drink unstrained into your glass, hence the need for the larger volume of a double old fashioned glass.

BTW, here's an excellent tutorial on How To Make A Mai Tai from Martin Cate himself!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZUYP1gn-fY

Especially, after TV Corporate took a lot of historical documentation off their site, it might take some digging to find, but I've always made my Mai Tais (whenever possible) in 15 oz glasses because of instructions attributed directly to the Trader. Whenever someone serves me a Mai Tai in a smaller glass I always feel short-changed.

Pages: 1 8 replies