Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Iron tiki

Pages: 1 2 75 replies

Great stuff!

Keep 'em coming!

I love the one guy's feet, - very animated.

Shows are over and we did pretty good. I'm finding that everyone loves the tiki's. However I would like to show them off in person to some true tiki lovers. Do you guys travel to shows often. I see ads at the top all the time and am always curious. I live way up here in Vancouver, WA. Not quite as far as Seeks. But if there are any show in the Pacific NW would some one shoot me a reply.

Thanks for looking,

metalhead

Here's some of the latest photos.

T

Look like tiki trans formers
ROCK ON!!!!!!!!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Aug 7, 2010 12:09 AM

Great work mate!

You might find the hot rodders will be a good market to try and sell to. Check out vending options at some rod runs and on forums like the HAMB (Honkey Ass Message Board) http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

B

More Excellent stuff Metalhead and I REALLY Love this last one. Your details are really getting tight and inventive. Gotta keep these guys coming...

Hey metalhead i dig it man. Here is a metal one i finished this morning. It has flamethrowers on its head, but have to wait til night to photograph it. It is made from a vintage bomb casing I dug up years ago. I am bringing it to TO 10 to deliver it to the guy that commissioned it. it was inspired by my recent war god mug score. "Fire" glaze = real fire! ha makes sense right?
the start

some layout

the eyes

some decoration

the grin

where the fire goes

more pics with fire soon!

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Dude you have definitely become one of my all time favorite artists!

[ Edited by: tikilizard 2010-08-12 11:19 ]

Good night for fire!

and almost fully opened up

E2

very good working !!!!super

S

love it! I think you have it going on here. I like the detail in the head dress.
Makes it look like notches thing going down.

B

I'm happy to see some metal work start showing up around here...it's not really carving, but hey, it's cool.

I apprenticed for some really fine Colorado blacksmiths for a few years back when I was in college (just a clean up boy really, but I did learn quite a bit). I may have to give this a go when I can find time to take a break from ceramics. :)

Would love to see some tapa style railing...

L

Excelent!!!!

I am happy for the positive responses. thanks. I have been making metal tikis for quite a while, but was afraid to post them because they weren't traditional carvings. I love wooden tikis, but would be a little cautious about putting a propane tank to one- I learned that from Homer Simpson. This tiki is a commission and actually financing my trip to Tiki Oasis this year!! It is also hard to find palm trees in Tulsa!! ha

White Moai, that guy is friggin awesome!!!! Walk me through your technique for the eyes? Did you use reposse style shaping? Wish you lived closer I would love to chec your stuff out in person! Thanks for sharing.

The eyes were made using a sandbag and a hammer. flat 18 G - hammered repousse' style- then run through an english wheel, and shrunk around the edges with a lancaster style shrinker. Then lots of hand contortions to make it conform to the body. Most of these tools you can now buy at horrible fright tools- or just use a hammer and dolly that's how I started before i made an english wheel (I had to make my own e wheel because it was before biker bla bla shows hit the air) but thats another story...

Nice... I'm going to give it a try. Most of my stuff has been 1/8th inch or greater so lots of heating , bending and welding, but the other day I thought... Why? I could use thinner stuff and come up with a different look, then you came along and just hammered that nail.

Thanks!

Hey everyone I haven't posted for a while and I thought I would show a few pix of my latest tikis. I know metal works is not exactly carving, but i am shaping and I do occasionally carve the steel with rotary bits.

https://tikicentral.com/uploads/17252/4e2db187.jpg
https://tikicentral.com/uploads/17252/4e2db15c.jpg

This is a future pineapple head. It's been a while so for give the slow updates and the links instead of photos on the last post.

cool work metalhead. I can't say that I have worked with metal as I am not too sure it would be an easy medium to work with. I bet they hold up well in the weather. Maori your work also looks cool especially how you have fire coming out of yours. Again metal seems to have many advantages. Is that a bomb in your yard too?

Man time goes by fast, any way i've got some photos - check it out! The order is backwards, sorry about that, but you get the idea. This guy stands about 22 inches tall. So starting at the top - forged railroad spikes on a rear end gear from a 72 maverick, a valve from a fire engine with the hibiscus flower on both sides carved in with a die grinder, the eyes were formed by cutting slits in the eyes and getting the metal red hot and bending it out, then capping it with a thin strip of steel. The nostrils are a plumbing fitting, and the body of the nose was shaped with a lot of welding and grinding. The teeth are made out of a recycled trailer securing system. and he is sitting on a flange from the rear axle of same ford maverick. The patina is a force rusting technique that is then clear coated a couple of times.

check out more of our stuff at:

schellandsonmetalwerks.com
schellandson.etsy.com

C
cy posted on Fri, Jul 29, 2011 11:43 AM

Great stuff metalhead. My neighbor Elaura said you might come to her home for some scrap. Make sure you pop over to say hi.

M

Cy thanks for the kudos, tell Elaura I'd pick up scrap any time, and I'd love to see your tikis.

M

Cy thanks for the kudos, tell Elaura I'd pick up scrap any time, and I'd love to see your tikis.

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Aug 3, 2011 7:08 PM

VERY cool stuff Sir. Im diggin all the metal. Very creative and very impressive. Looks as if quite a bit of work goes into each one. Keep em Coming!!

Nixxon - yes I am a bit of a perfectionist and every tiki I build I develop different techniques. And I don't think that they are necessarily the fastest techniques either. I end up spending tons of time on these guys, but I just love to make em. I don't think at this point I could stop if wanted to. You can bent you'll see more from me. I have spent some time looking at your carvings as well. Very nice, BTW. Thanks for the kudos!

Awesome!!! Somewhere, there's a '71 Maverick that gave it's soul for this tiki :lol:

M

Thanks MadDog, that car is still partially alive with just another rear end in it. I don't know about carvers, but as a metal guy people just drop stuff off at your house and ask "can you use this?", The maverick actually belongs to my brother-in-law. Thanks for the kind words!

M

OK here's the my Flame Head. Kinda took a more traditional look with the eyes and mouth.

[ Edited by: metalhead 2011-08-05 06:14 ]

Pages: 1 2 75 replies