Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Molds of carvings for reproduction.

Pages: 1 4 replies

These carvings are amazing! After all the hours of making these, there may be some interest in making copies in plaster, resin, concrete, whatever, so here's a post. I made molds for years of my own stuff, and I want to pass along some info for all the carvers out there.

Wood can be copied if you sand it smooth and temporarily seal it with several layers of dishwashing detergent (allow to dry between layers) The last thing you want is for rubber to grab onto the wood! You can then use 2-part urethane rtv rubber.

Once the rubber comes free of the original, simply rinse everything well until it stops sudzing. You now have your original, and can make copies for sale. The wood won't be in water long enough for it to be damaged.

If it is a commission, best to get the buyers permission. Most buyers don't mind an artist making more money if it means they can survive and continue to produce more art!

This thread's so old it's got molds on it!

Bowana tells all

Buzzy Out!

Old? Where are you that mold grows in six hours?

Ok I'll be more direct:

The thread on the following link has everything that you need to know about molding:
Click on this link to find Bowana's TC molding thread that was started a few years ago

If you have anything to add about the molding process, please use that older thread. It keeps TC less convoluted. Thanks!
Buzzy

I want to make a mold of the Brady Bunch Tiki.

Any thoughts?

Pages: 1 4 replies