PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2010-06-09 14:53 ]

Ha!

Chris

[ Edited by: WestADad 2010-05-12 12:32 ]

L

On 2010-05-12 12:28, Unga Bunga wrote:

lmao!

Unga you are the best for comedic relief!

Duane never seen it before--markings?

Can't tell about markings just yet. I purchased it today based soley on the one picture. It almost appears to be Westwood? I will know more once I get it.

From what I can tell from Unga's picture, it looks like it might be based on a couple of tikis outside a long forgot about place. Maybe this mug used to be from there and used at a Tahitian Witco bar?

PTD

Never seen that thang before! While the body is Tiki, the face looks more Pre-Columbian (aka pop primitivist), maybe it was used at Mexican eateries. I have seen this green glaze used for South American liquor decanters before.

Unga,

You wouldn't happen to know if the image of this tiki was used on "moist towelette" packing would you?

Thanks for your help!

PTD

It actually reminds me of one of the Tiki bars from Spain.

Well, after nearly a month of waiting and dealing with the seller on this item (lost in the mail, sent another one, fun eBay stuff) this finally arrived today.

Listed as a "Tiki Candleholder" it looked like a mug to me from the picture. Now I am not sure what it is? 12" tall, it could be a vase. The image is flipped on either side?

Anyone have any idea about this??

PTD

UT

That thing would hold a damn big candle. I am leaning toward a hobbyist vase. Or fill it up with a huge Mai Tai.

On 2010-06-09 15:02, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

I'm confused as well. This pic looks like it has a solid top/lid or something, yet in the others it's clearly open. In this shot it looks like somebody used an old ceramic electrical insulator as a partial mold for the top.

Yes? No?

I have this guy in brown! I got it a few years ago at a flea market and have never seen another like it. I'll try to remember to take a pic of it tonight when I get home.

Oops, double post!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2010-06-10 12:15 ]

I think this was supposed to be a vase of some sort? The bottom does look like an old insulator and I think it was made that was for stability. It is pretty big and would probably hold the equivelent of 3 good sized Mai Tai's.

Curious to see the picture of the brown one!

PTD

The bottom is an ashtray, I tried to buy one a couple of years ago from a seller in Florida (The only place these seem to come from)
It was listed as a reversible Ashtray/Vase, I was told it was from the 1960's by that seller & they had it about that long.
No markings at all, Design does look to be primitive Aztec/pop influenced.

The mystery is unraveling here, that really makes sense the bottom does kind of look like an ashtray. Weird it would be a vase on the flipside?

"Honey, hurry up and throw those dead flowers out, I need a smoke"!

It still looks like it has a Westwood influence to me. I agree it has a certain South American/Spanish influence to the design.

Just when you think you have seen everything??

PTD

I believe that the bottom is made to be a candle holder for one of those tall pillar candles. It's similar to other candle holders I have seen.

:P :P IT'S AN ASHTRAY! :P :P

Isn't everything essentially an ashtray? Just like every tool is essentially a hammer...

Sorry for the bad quality of the picture, but here is my guy in brown.
I LOVE the idea of this being an ashtray. I always thought it looked like it needed a giant Phillips head screwdriver for the top.

Pages: 1 19 replies